Fed a bald eagle!! Holy crap!!

X
xltom
I just finished sealing and painting my little boat so I went to dexter with my girl in tow to see if she floats(the boat not ellen)... I caught a N. pike minnow so I crushed it's head on the rail and threw it back. A few minutes later I caught a bigger N.P.M. about a pound and a half. I bonked this one too and chucked it in. A few seconds later I heard a big splash and turned to see a huge bald eagle struggling to hoist the fish out of the water not ten feet off my stern. I couldn't believe it. About 20 minutes later Ellen caught another N.P.M. and again I gave it a bonk on the rail and chucked it overboard. Ellen and I wondered if the eagle would come back and guess what!! He took that one too. This time there was very little splash. I'd be willing to bet he got the first fish as well. He circled above us a few more times but we didn't catch anymore treats for him..

EDIT: Ellen would like me to add that SHE thought the eagle would come back, I predicted it would take him a long time to feed the first one to his family......so SHE was right!

This was one of the coolest things that ever happened to me while fishing so it didn't bother me at all that we didn't catch any trout. Ellen had a good time too. The N.P.M. she caught was the biggest fish she's ever landed. She trolled a salmon fly color rooster tail and I was running a fender with a worm(thanks for teaching me this rig thuggin).....

By the way the boat didn't leak a drop but I did scratch the fresh paint while trailering up. The wind was a little tough on my 30lb thrust electric motor so I need to save up for a 4-9 hp...

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
thats pretty cool... I have a special place for eagles... coyotes tricked my dog when I was a kid and ate him ( bus load of turds ) that following spring I was shooting groundsquirels.. a coyote came out and just as I was aiming at it I heard a yelp... looked to the right a bit and a bald eagle was flying off with a coyote pup... my re-deemer! I missed the shot at the momma.. but probably got her later.. I ran a pretty hard campaign against the local yotes for 5-6 years. thanks to my therapist Jameson, I have learned to move on and forgive.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Thuggin4Life
Thats pretty tight. I think that they still have the npm contest during the blackberryjam later this month. glad you got that boat of yours back on the water. you should post some pics of it.

X
xltom
Is your therapist WHISKEY?? Hehee... The hippie in me thinks the yotees were just doing what they are supposed to do but the dog lover in me would have made a big old pile of those bus load of turds as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
X
xltom
Thuggin4Life said:
Thats pretty tight. I think that they still have the npm contest during the blackberryjam later this month. glad you got that boat of yours back on the water. you should post some pics of it.

Ask and ye shall recieve:

before,

beforea.jpg

After,

front.jpg

back.jpg

Sorry for the phone pics...Hey, they kill em at the NPM contest right? I was right not to throw em back correct?

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
I can't believe thats the same boat. looks good!

troutdude
troutdude
Bald Eagles are COOL...

but feeding them is even COOLER!!!

M
Markcanby
Thats a cute little boat you got an a cool story

K
Kayos
Yea, they kill the NPM at the blackberry jam. I caught 90 of them one year near the bridge. Biggest was 18"

troutdude
troutdude
kayos said:
yea, they kill the npm at the blackberry jam. I caught 90 of them one year near the bridge. Biggest was 18"

npm???

X
xltom
troutdude said:

Northern Pike Minnow....looks like a golden rubber lipped trout. Like a carp and a trout had a babies

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Aha!

T
Troutier Bassier
halibuthitman said:
thats pretty cool... I have a special place for eagles... coyotes tricked my dog when I was a kid and ate him ( bus load of turds ) that following spring I was shooting groundsquirels.. a coyote came out and just as I was aiming at it I heard a yelp... looked to the right a bit and a bald eagle was flying off with a coyote pup... my re-deemer! I missed the shot at the momma.. but probably got her later.. I ran a pretty hard campaign against the local yotes for 5-6 years. thanks to my therapist Jameson, I have learned to move on and forgive.

I heard some people on the john day had there dogs owned by some coyotes.

N.P.M in a lake??? never heard of that.

X
xltom
Troutier Bassier said:
I heard some people on the john day had there dogs owned by some coyotes.

N.P.M in a lake??? never heard of that.

My understanding is that it's the dams/lakes that have caused these fish to become a real problem. Too successful.