February 24, 2022 inaugural fishing trip...

F
Fishnsleep
Finally, ocean conditions aligned with a time I could take a vacation day and go fishing.

I considered taking my boat, which has not been in the water since before Christmas. Desire was to fish out of Depoe Bay, I had been hearing of a very good good ling cod bite. Instead I decided to book a trip with Mikey’s Fishing Adventures, Mikeysfishingadventures.com. There were several reasons for this decision. The weather was going to be very cold, below freezing to start the day. I would have had to tow my boat over 100 miles each way, pay the $10.00 launch fee, search for fish, fillet my own fish, and run the motors and wash my boat before placing it back in the garage. The trip with Mikey’s was $175.00 per person.

All I had to do was show up on time, and enjoy the day, Mikey knew where to find the ling cod. We targeted ling cod primarily and all aboard got their limit of ling cod and bottom fish. Mikey’s boat is very stable, with high sides, which I like, because it makes me feel safe. We had a weird wind and current combination that day, but Mikey still got us on the fish. It took a while, but the sun was out, and the ocean was beautiful.

I love fishing out of my boat, but going with an experienced guide who knows the area and techniques is a great learning experience. Mikey fishes for several different species, in both the salt, and freshwater. A great guy, with a very positive attitude who will make sure you have a fun day. He is very knowledgeable and willingly shares his knowledge with his clients.

Thanks for the great trip Mikey, hope to see you again in the near future.

• IMG_0664.jpg
  • Mikeys.jpg
Reactions: Admin
Irishrover
Irishrover
Sometimes it's nice just to be able to fish and not run the boat. Going out like you did with a guide can give you a break from both the added work of running your own boat and the expense. Glad you had a great trip.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Good to know. We just booked a week at Bella Beach in June and I'll be looking for someone to take a few of us out.

Sounds like a great trip. I totally hear you on just paying the money. It is a lot work to put a boat on the ocean, especially when you're changing over from steelhead or salmon fishing on rivers. It just doesn't make sense for one day.

Thanks!

F
Fishnsleep
Irishrover said:
Sometimes it's nice just to be able to fish and not run the boat. Going out like you did with a guide can give you a break from both the added work of running your own boat and the expense. Glad you had a great trip.
Thanks, kind of takes the pressure off too, not running your own boat:)

F
Fishnsleep
jamisonace said:
Good to know. We just booked a week at Bella Beach in June and I'll be looking for someone to take a few of us out.

Sounds like a great trip. I totally hear you on just paying the money. It is a lot work to put a boat on the ocean, especially when you're changing over from steelhead or salmon fishing on rivers. It just doesn't make sense for one day.

Thanks!
Yes, driving from PDX to Depoe Bay and back in one day is enough for me, never mind filleting, running motors, etc.

The launch fee is $10.00 there now, that surprised me, guess it has been that way for a while.