Favorite trout spot on north Santiam

R
rainbowfisherman
Just a thread for people to post there favorite trout spot on the north santiam...Also the type of fly would be awesome!

Thanks
-Rainbowfisherman

B
bigsteel
down is stayton or at minto park in gates...mt favorite fly would be yellow stimulator

M
Mike123
I've only fished it once, but below Big Cliff dam there are some B U TEE trout in there! Awesome looking water too..

T
The Tightest Line
Mill City hole under the old railroad bridge, Very beautiful natives

D
Drew9870
Mill City Bridge is a very nice hole, my buddy caught a 26lb clipped chinook earlier this year from under the railroad bridge.

Another good spot is in (or pretty close to) Gates, I am unsure of the exact location (a friend showed me this spot), and it is a spot where you have to park and walk down this dirt hill that is a little steep at the beginning, then you arrive to an area on the Santiam that is just a huge whirlpool and you would be standing on a rock formation which the river cuts through and also flows around the other side, it would not be a pretty place to fall into. I haven't got around to getting my salmon/steelhead tag this year so I never flipped any gear out for bigger fish in this spot, I would like to know if anyone else knows what spot im talking about.

B
bigsteel
drew 9870,,,that is minto park,,,when u get to the rocks take a right about 100 yards or so and the river turns into a little stream on the bank tons of steelies in there...

R
rainbowfisherman
I was at minto park one time in about september when i saw probley 10 or 15...... 30 in. plus coho!

F
Fish Dawgs
i saw a nice 18 in steelhead on the north santiam at elkhorn earlier this year

K
Kodiak
The best spot on the north fork for large trout is from shelburn to greens bridge. Ive caught trout cutt's in there in excess of 20+". As far as numbers go the best spot is under the bridge in gates. most of these aren't trout but rather hold over smolts so please be gentle.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Open to trout?

Open to trout?

Okay,my dog ate my regs book ;) when does trout season open on the Santiam? I was thinking about going after some bigger fish out that way soon. Too soon?

R
rainbowfisherman
Its around may 23rd

K
Kodiak
Raincatcher said:
Okay,my dog ate my regs book ;) when does trout season open on the Santiam? I was thinking about going after some bigger fish out that way soon. Too soon?

It opens around Dec. 24th, closes Jan.1st.:D

troutdude
troutdude
Bad Doggy!

Bad Doggy!

Raincatcher said:

Your doggy musta needed some fiber in his/her diet, eh? ;)

The N. Santiam is open for FIN CLIPPED trout, from May 23 - Oct. 31. Only 2 trout per day bag limit.

If that OFF fellow is fishing for trout...it looks like he's not legal!:naughty:

Better wait until may, unless your after steelies.

[U]IMPORTANT NOTE[/U]: the reg book DOES say trout season OPENS on MAY 23rd, and NOT May 22nd like it is for other streams. This may be a typo, so you may want to call ODFW to be certain.

Last edited: