favorite cure

H
here2fish
Hey I am thinking about trying some new egg cures out this year, once the coho get here. I have used pro cure as well as borax but I want to try something new.

What have you guys found to be the best?

I have heard good things about amermans and was thinking about trying that

Last edited:
S
steelheadstalker31
I've heard that pro glo works pretty well.

C
crusty old fisherman
here2fish said:
Hey I am thinking about trying some new egg cures out this year, once the coho get here. I have used pro cure as well as borax but I want to try something new.

What have you guys found to be the best?

I have heard good things about amermans and was thinking about trying that

I have tried most commercial cures pautzke cure , procure, amermans, proglow, quick cure, alaskan egg cure, to name a few.

out of all those pautzke was the worst then alaskan and proglow, the best I found was amermans.

I still use it on my salmon eggs although it doesn't seem to work as well now that everyone and their dog has it, but when it was new on the markey boy did it seem to hammer them. I remember having 20 plus fish days up the mckenzie with amermans cure.

as far as eggs for steelhead you can't beat borax and jello it out fishes any commercial cure for me by a long shot.

I have used borax and jello as a brine and as a dry cure, and when I want natural colored eggs I use a brine I seen in STS many years ago call the old guides cure its basically salt sugar borax and water.

Crusty

K
Kodiak
eggas

eggas

If you want a banging cure talk to OSmosis. That guy has some of the best eggs Ive ever fished. I mean bangging. I they are tough, and just the right amount of chems. It's amazing how much research hes put into it. I used a chunk and got hit 19 times in 30 mins with springers before one got hung up....now thems some eggs. Osmosis will tell you the same thing I will, Ammermans ranks right up there pautzkes...lol..My first choice is T-n-T, followed by last supper up-river, and I have a UV cure I'm working on....just messing with some of the "fluff" chems right now.

C
crusty old fisherman
Kodiak said:
If you want a banging cure talk to OSmosis. That guy has some of the best eggs Ive ever fished. I mean bangging. I they are tough, and just the right amount of chems. It's amazing how much research hes put into it. I used a chunk and got hit 19 times in 30 mins with springers before one got hung up....now thems some eggs. Osmosis will tell you the same thing I will, Ammermans ranks right up there pautzkes...lol..My first choice is T-n-T, followed by last supper up-river, and I have a UV cure I'm working on....just messing with some of the "fluff" chems right now.

I have a buddy who is a guide and probably one of the best guides in the state. I have fished his eggs, once a fish grabs them they just will not let go of them period if you get a bite you get a fish unless you farm it off.

I have him do up eggs for me now and then but I hate bugging him to cure up eggs for me and besides that even though he is my best friend it just doesn't seem right to ask him for his recipie.

what I have noticed is if a fish isn't sticking with the eggs they are usually too hot for them and the fish lets go when they start breaking the eggs up and them chems flush through their gills. I play with cure amounts heavily increasing and decreasing amounts of cure used until I get it right some cures you just cnt get it right with though.

when I was younger I really got into making my own cures and I made up about 10 cuarts of eggs that just flat killed the fish the problem was that once I was out of them I couldnt find the recipie lol

Crusty

M
Mike123
Well, IMO, you need seperate cures for steelhead and tidewater and upriver salmon.

Obviously you want a tougher, dry cure for steelhead and sometimes coho.
Borax, Jello, salt, sugar....

I dont know, I have done VERY well with Amerman's and Fire Cure for lower river bobber fishing and tidewater. For some reason I haven't got too many bites on Pro-Cure. TNT seemed to work WELL, for EGGS.
TNT's prawn cure sucks a$$!!
I used to add a bit of tuna oil, monster bite, and sometimes I'd throw Salmon feast scent in there as well.
That's usually what I use for Fall Chinook though...

But damn, I need to catch some HEN chinook to try some different cures!!
Need some freakin eggs man!

F
FishSchooler
I need eggs to cure...

S
Sammy Special
One reason people may find Amerman's to be less effective is because sooo many people are using it now. Several years ago, it was underused compared to the others out there....making it different than the crowd and very effective.

Now, its flip-flopped around and everyone has Amerman in their stash.

That said, it has still got a spot in my bait box and gets used often....I just dont use it in crowds.

Sammy

L
luv2fish
right said Sammy....

i've to get eggs......and i just know the spot.....tulles.....they will "loan " me some...just next month....hint hint...over the trestle...;)...and then i'll catch some big silvers too....gotta get some decent buzz bombs....

T
Troutier Bassier
Catch a Hen take her eggs,
cure them,
Next weeek,
Use them,
Catch another hen,
Take eggs,
Cure them,,,,,,,,