Favorite streams, creeks for trout fishing in southern Oregon?

M
Mepps44
Just curious what some of the favorite streams , creeks off the beaten path in southern Oregon are for you fishermen/ women? Places that take a bit of a drive off the highways and even those that may take a 4 wheel drive or short hike in.

E
Eskimo
The Applegate is a good river to try next year. I believe it closes the first of April. It's a slow low river because of the lack of rain. The Illinois is anther good river very secluded this time of year. Or maybe the warm weather got the hippies sunbathing on the river banks. But the river is beautiful.

D
durantmatt
Are you flyfishing, bait or tackle. I have a great spot for flyfishing. I don't tell many people because hardly anyone knows of it, or decides not to drive very far. PM me if you want

M
Mepps44
Thanks for the reply, I don't blame ya not telling people of your spots, next thing ya know there could be 10 not 1 fishing it out. To your question I prefer to use spinners like rooster tails or mepps on light tackle for trout fishing. Usually catch and release unless camping then may keep a couple for dinner on the campfire. I'm used to hiking in a few miles before fishing, but the closer to the truck the better 'cause I'm an old man...lol. Want to treat my son to a nice fishing trip like we used to take without crowds, and we like to get off the beaten path to set up a rustic camp with my 4x4. Not looking for big fish as much as plentiful with lots of action...12-15 inchers would be a treat.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Maybe get a California license and fish the applegate before it comes into the lake. Lots of unimproved camping spots along the river in cali and its free, just need a bucket, and shovel i think. Im not sure how the fishing is but im sure its not bad. Could also try Squaw Lakes while your in the area, this time of year not too many folks go up there. Good luck!

D
durantmatt
Good idea about squaw lakes Shane. I never think of squaw lakes as trout lakes since I've only fished for smallmouths there. I haven't fished squaw in a while, but I remember going as a youngin' and catching some very nice smallies out them.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I was fishing the smaller lake quite a bit this time last year. Some nice cutties in there.

A
Ahab
Give the upper, upper Rogue a shot. Up above Lost Creek lake. The hatchery scatter-plants some nice rainbows from Memorial Day to Labor Day all along the section from Prospect to Hammaker campground, but even if they didn't there are plenty of native 'bows in there for the type of fishing you're talking about. 4-lb test, 1/16 to 1/8 oz. Rooster Tails, Panther Martins. Whatever your go-to lure is. There are also some browns and brookies in there. It's clear water, so you have to be a bit stealthy to sneak up on the bigger ones, but you don't have to hike way in. You can pull right off the highway and fish, but if you're willing to walk a little bit, you'll have better results. Also, one other important thing to bring: DEET. Especially during the dry spring that we're having this year. Mosquitoes are already out in force.

Reactions: Raincatcher
S
supertodd
Most of the small streams other than Butte Crk and Applegate are closed to fishing to protect spawning habitat of salmon and steelhead. Applegate, Butte Crk and Upper Rogue above lost Crk are all good small stream fishing. Just check the Regs

D
desertrat
well this is too little too late but went to ashland creek oct 28 and it was beautiful didn't see any fish but next year plan on going out there a lot during the summer is anyone else familiar with this area? its maybe a 1.5 mile hike in then hike down a steep canyon above reeder reservoir there are two forks to fish.

J
JFranklin
Southern Oregon Fly Fishing in Streams

Southern Oregon Fly Fishing in Streams

durantmatt said:
Are you flyfishing, bait or tackle. I have a great spot for flyfishing. I don't tell many people because hardly anyone knows of it, or decides not to drive very far. PM me if you want

Durantmatt; I have lived in Oregon for years and recently got a teaching job in Klamath Falls. Are there any small rivers or streams on the east side that are good fishing? I too like to hike as does my son. We lived in the Leavenworth Washington area and there were hundreds of streams to fish but striking out down here. Any ideas?

Following 140 past Lakeview there is a nice little river that parallels the highway for several miles....do you know anything about that river...can't seem to find a name for it?