Farmed Salmon/Steelhead vs. wild Salmon/Steelhead

C
Crash
Hey! My name is Clair and I am a college student interested in fishermen and fisherwomen’s opinions about farmed salmon. I will be typing a paper about research I have found out about farmed salmon and steelhead vs. wild salmon and steelhead and I will include the information gathered from this poll in my paper. This will be private, not published, and will only be read by fellow classmates and my instructor. Thank you so much for taking the time to participate, I truly appreciate and respect everyone’s opinions, same or different from my own.
Thank you again,
Clair

Each poll “question” will be worded as a statement. Simply choose the “feeling response” that best fits you. To answer, copy this post, paste as a reply and delete the “feeling responses” that DO NOT relate to you. I know how much work this is, and I appreciate this greatly! Feel free to leave comments and questions that I can use in my report.

Farmed salmon/steelhead cause damage to the environment.

1. Strongly agree
2. Agree
3. Neutral
4. Disagree
5. Strongly disagree

If farmed salmon/steelhead continue to interbreed with wild salmon/steelhead, the wild salmon/steelhead could eventually be pushed to extinction.

1. Strongly agree
2. Agree
3. Neutral
4. Disagree
5. Strongly disagree

Farmed salmon/steelhead escaping from pens is an out of control, global problem that needs to be taken care of immediately.

1. Strongly agree
2. Agree
3. Neutral
4. Disagree
5. Strongly disagree

When farmed salmon/steelhead escape from pens, they spread disease to the wild salmon/steelhead populations.

1. Strongly agree
2. Agree
3. Neutral
4. Disagree
5. Strongly disagree

It is inappropriate for the US to import farmed fish from around the world.

1. Strongly agree
2. Agree
3. Neutral
4. Disagree
5. Strongly disagree

There are large problems with the diet of farmed salmon/steelhead.

1. Strongly agree
2. Agree
3. Neutral
4. Disagree
5. Strongly disagree

Farmed salmon/steelhead is unsafe for people to consume on a regular basis.

1. Strongly agree
2. Agree
3. Neutral
4. Disagree
5. Strongly disagree

The public need to be informed, in detail about the risks to themselves and the environment concerning farmed salmon/steelhead.

1. Strongly agree
2. Agree
3. Neutral
4. Disagree
5. Strongly Disagree

There are more sustainable options to satisfy the global communities need for farmed salmon/steelhead.

1. Strongly Agree
2. Agree
3. Neutral
4. Disagree
5. Strongly Disagree

Do you eat farmed salmon/steelhead?

1. Yes
2. No

Last edited:
F
fish4life
Are you reffering to farm salmon or hatchery raised salmon. Farm raised salmon would be fish raised in a pond and fed pellets and then sold to stores hatchery raised salmon would be smolts raised in a hatchery then released in a stream where they would migrate to the ocean and return to the stream a few years later. I do not know how farmed salmon would have any negative effects on wild salmon since they will never be in the streams with them at least here in oregon. I could see where hatchery raised salmon might.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nicely done push poll. Very professional.;)

C
Crash
Feel free to respond to it how you would like - I am reffering to farmed salmon...the ones raised in pins in the ocean.

C
Crash
Thanks. Actually I am a college student doing a research paper...really dosnt matter either way! Thanks for the opinion!

R
RunWithSasquatch

1. Strongly agree

If farmed salmon/steelhead continue to interbreed with wild salmon/steelhead, the wild salmon/steelhead could eventually be pushed to extinction.

2. Agree

Farmed salmon/steelhead escaping from pens is an out of control, global problem that needs to be taken care of immediately.

1. Strongly agree

When farmed salmon/steelhead escape from pens, they spread disease to the wild salmon/steelhead populations.

1. Strongly agree

It is inappropriate for the US to import farmed fish from around the world.2. Agree

2. Agree

2. Agree

3. Neutral

The public need to be informed, in detail about the risks to themselves and the environment concerning farmed salmon/steelhead.

2. Agree

There are more sustainable options to satisfy the global communities need for farmed salmon/steelhead.

3. Neutral

2. No

F
fish4life
Heres my 2 cents worth hatcheries have been rearing fish for decades these fish have spawned with native fish. As far as there being true native fish runs I believe there are very few. The wild fish that return now are a mixture of stocks. I dont buy salmon from stores I catch them. Im not worried about contaminates in fish so much because everything has contaminates. I have ate bass sturgeon from the willamette crappie and catfish from brownlee res. both have contaminates same as if you were to buy shrimp, basa, tuna, hotdogs, beef from a supermarket. If you were to stop eating everything that is potentially dangerous for you you might not be eating anything at all. And if the federal and state government didn't raise salmon and steelhead there wouldnt hardly be any fish runs anymore.

C
Crash
fish4life said:
Heres my 2 cents worth hatcheries have been rearing fish for decades these fish have spawned with native fish. As far as there being true native fish runs I believe there are very few. The wild fish that return now are a mixture of stocks. I dont buy salmon from stores I catch them. Im not worried about contaminates in fish so much because everything has contaminates. I have ate bass sturgeon from the willamette crappie and catfish from brownlee res. both have contaminates same as if you were to buy shrimp, basa, tuna, hotdogs, beef from a supermarket. If you were to stop eating everything that is potentially dangerous for you you might not be eating anything at all. And if the federal and state government didn't raise salmon and steelhead there wouldnt hardly be any fish runs anymore.

Thanks for the opinion! I would truley appreciate it if you took my poll. Thanks!

M
Markcanby

1. Strongly agree

2. Agree

1. Strongly agree

1. Strongly agree

It is inappropriate for the US to import farmed fish from around the world.2. Agree

2. Agree

2. Agree

3. Neutral

2. Agree

3. Neutral

2. No

M
Moe

1. Strongly agree

2. agree

1. Strongly agree

1. Strongly agree

2. Nuetral

2. Agree

4. Disagree

1. Strongly agree

3. Neutral

2. No

T
todd_brooks

1. Strongly agree

3. Neutral

3. Neutral

1. Strongly agree

1. Strongly agree

2. Agree

3. Neutral

1. Strongly agree

2. Agree

2. No or at least I make it a point not to.

W
waco

2. Agree

1. Strongly agree

1. Strongly agree

1. Strongly agree

3. Neutral

1. Strongly agree

Farmed salmon/steelhead is unsafe for people to consume on a regular basis
4. Disagree

1. Strongly agree

2. Agree

1. Yes or i used to before i started fishing!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
2. Agree

1. Strongly agree

2. Agree

2. Agree

3. Neutral

2. Agree

3. Neutral

2. Agree

3. Neutral

1. Yes

Yes but i would not buy it....

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen

2. Agree

2. Agree

4. Disagree

3. Neutral

4. Disagree

2. Agree

3. Neutral

1. Strongly agree

3. Neutral

1. Yes

V
viento
Its not too late to include comments, I suggest asking for them now, and add them as an addendum to your poll, you have a great source of info
here! (not me, the other folks!) But the questions are SO specious. The first question, for example, everything damages the environment, its the law of the jungle,
so any answer is just marketing data, measured in increments against some biased authoritarian opinion. So my answers will attempt to be even more specious than your questions (and I really hope you get an A, or its socio-economic equivalent :cool:

6. They all spit in the water

6. Only if they don't use protection.

6. It's too late once they pee on the other side of the fence.

6. They only catch the slow and the fat, so it is that troublesome 'law of the jungle' nonsense again.

6. They have to die somewhere, my pan is as hot as the next guys...

6. Michelles staff is on it! Shredded carrot pellets, an them thar sammons 'll be more orangier than real ones! Think of the jobs the bureaucracy will create!!!

6. Auntie lived to age 94, on vodka and chinook steaks, but if she'd have walked to the store nearby, for farm fish, rather than the distant river, for wild ones, she'd have keeled over by age 92, from not having burned up as much alcohol.

6. I would ask that question on that other planet, you know, the one
where salmonoids are on the fast food joint menus.

6. All three of the guys who eat Salmon from the store, get the cheap wine,
and one of them is a cat.

1. Free range, baby, free range! Now go get that A+ and do some fishn' this year :lol:

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
viento said:
Its not too late to include comments, I suggest asking for them now, and add them as an addendum to your poll, you have a great source of info
here! (not me, the other folks!) But the questions are SO specious. The first question, for example, everything damages the environment, its the law of the jungle,
so any answer is just marketing data, measured in increments against some biased authoritarian opinion. So my answers will attempt to be even more specious than your questions (and I really hope you get an A, or its socio-economic equivalent :cool:

6. They all $hit in the water

6. Only if they don't use protection.

6. It's too late once they pee on the other side of the fence.

6. They only catch the slow and the fat, so it is that troublesome 'law of the jungle' nonsense again.

6. They have to die somewhere, my pan is as hot as the next guys...

6. Michelles staff is on it! Shredded carrot pellets, an them thar sammons 'll be more orangier than real ones! Think of the jobs the bureaucracy will create!!!

6. Auntie lived to age 94, on vodka and chinook steaks, but if she'd have walked to the store nearby, for farm fish, rather than the distant river, for wild ones, she'd have keeled over by age 92, from not having burned up as much alcohol.

6. I would ask that question on that other planet, you know, the one
where salmonoids are on the fast food joint menus.

6. All three of the guys who eat Salmon from the store, get the cheap wine,
and one of them is a cat.

1. Free range, baby, free range! Now go get that A+ and do some fishn' this year :lol:
I'm sure she appreciates the effort, but her class requires poll format, comments will do her no good.

Let's try to keep this in the requested format and not turn it into a debate.

M
markasd

1. Strongly agree

2. Agree

1. Strongly agree

1. Strongly agree

2. Agree

2. Agree

3. Neutral

1. Strongly Agree

3. Neutral

2. No

V
viento
GraphiteZen said:
I'm sure she appreciates the effort, but her class requires poll format, comments will do her no good.

Let's try to keep this in the requested format and not turn it into a debate.

To quote Clair:"Feel free to leave comments and questions that I can use in my report."

I closely followed the poll format, even if tongue-in-cheek, and have
not suggested debate. This still being America, and this being in my opinion,
an above average forum, I can imagine few better places for the intelligent discussions, well-wishes, and perhaps an occasional chuckle. Still wishing the A+ for Clair :)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
viento said:
To quote Clair:"Feel free to leave comments and questions that I can use in my report."

I closely followed the poll format, even if tongue-in-cheek, and have
not suggested debate. This still being America, and this being in my opinion,
an above average forum, I can imagine few better places for the intelligent discussions, well-wishes, and perhaps an occasional chuckle. Still wishing the A+ for Clair :)

Fair enough, however, "comments" would be separate additions to your poll submission.
If you would like to add comments feel free. If you would like to submit a poll, again, feel free. Submitting a hybrid creation of poll/comment would probably be unusable in class. She would probably appreciate your taking the time to contribute within her specified bounds, not a variant of your own creation. :) No problem, just trying to help her with her score as well.

And please don't skirt the filter ;)

V
viento
I think polls of multiple choice should all include an option called 'other', this cuts down on the ability of pollsters
to rig the questions toward determining a desired outcome. Its all cut-n-paste, and Clair is still free to offer the
option of 'other', in addition to the 5 choices, or just include parts of posts, since it is her project, with grades in
the balance. I'll go lengthen the 'skirt' now. ;)
Cheers