Farewell, old Fenny

B
BlueWater
I broke my ancient and venerable Fenwick HMG rod this morning. My fault; trying to free the line from a sunken snag without watching what was behind me, I smacked it on a rock when the line broke free. Saved the lure, lost the rod. Sigh...

This was my light river rod for panfish, trout and bass.

Looking for recommendations for a replacement. Something around 7-feet long (Fenny was 6' 10"), light action, 2-pieces, cork handles.

I don't have a budget cap in mind right now.

Let me know what you think, please?

bass
bass
Sorry to hear about your rod. I have a few that I would be sad to break.

Here is my suggestion, although it may be a little bit light in action for your tastes. I really like my 7', 2-piece Okuma kokanee rod. It is listed as ultra light. It has a nice parabolic action that is really fun to fish with. Plus, they are not an expensive rod. So many modern rods are overly stiff in my opinion.

B
BlueWater
bass said:
Sorry to hear about your rod. I have a few that I would be sad to break.

Here is my suggestion, although it may be a little bit light in action for your tastes. I really like my 7', 2-piece Okuma kokanee rod. It is listed as ultra light. It has a nice parabolic action that is really fun to fish with. Plus, they are not an expensive rod. So many modern rods are overly stiff in my opinion.

Thanks! I was checking out the 7'6" version in light action online. I'll give the UL a look, too.

troutdude
troutdude
If you have an eBay account; there is a 6.5' Fenny Matrix (blended fiberglass/graphite composite) up for grabs.

Those Okuma's are nice (I have 2 or 3 and like 'em). But, personally wouldn't use a UL rod for bass fishing (at least not for bucketmouths).

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
BlueWater said:
Thanks! I was checking out the 7'6" version in light action online. I'll give the UL a look, too.

I'm a big Okuma fan - great budget rods. I have the 7'6" light action, a 6' ultra light, and have owned another 7'6" light action, 7' ultra light, plus about 4 or 5 of their Celilo steelhead rods.

I've got two of the ReFlexions rods right now. Good $50 rods. The ReFlexions rods are all one piece, they have a 7' light action spin rod in that line, if you don't mind one piece. All of them have cork split grips with carbon fiber reel seats.

On a higher end scale - Loomis makes a couple rods similar to what you're looking for - I love my Loomies too.

Fenwick has a few nice rods out too similar to what you're looking for. NOt sure on model names - saw them at Sportman's Warehouse last week. If I remember they ran about $150 - cork grip, carbon fiber reel seat, nice actions.

bass
bass
troutdude said:
If you have an eBay account; there is a 6.5' Fenny Matrix (blended fiberglass/graphite composite) up for grabs.

Those Okuma's are nice (I have 2 or 3 and like 'em). But, personally wouldn't use a UL rod for bass fishing (at least not for bucketmouths).

Definitely not a rod to drive a hook through a plastic worm but plenty good to whip a big fish. Weekend before last I caught a 23" rainbow at tenmile lake while perch fishing. Those rods are great for fighting fish. I have caught smallmouth up to 3 lbs on that rod (on exposed hook lures).

I just looked at my rod. It is a SST-S-702L, 7' light action 4-10lb test, 1/8-3/4oz. It is a really nice rod. I have no problem throwing 1/32oz lures with it. I can't imagine casting 3/4oz with it. I highly recommend at least flexing one.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
B
BlueWater
Thanks to all. I'll have a look at the Okuma's. Generally well thought of and at a very nice price. Not a fan of the new Fenwick handles: I'm a traditionalist. I want the reel seat exposed, with uplocking rings, and a solid butt (I don't like how the split butt handles feels).

Appreciate all. Thanks again!

B
BlueWater
I chose to go with the 7-foot Okuma Light action Kokanee rod. I tried the UL model and decided it was a bit too whippy for me, although the light is a bit more stiff than I would have liked, it might loosen up in a year or two. Been giving it a workout, and have no real complaints about it (except maybe: the tip is mighty thin for an oaf like me).

Thanks again to all who chimed in. It's not my Fenwick (sniff) but the Okuma feels like a good rod at a really good price.

troutdude
troutdude
It's hard to find a suitable replacement, for your Fenny. May she rest in peace.

But, I think you'll be happy with our Okuma choice. Good luck, and be sure to file some reports s pics and she does damage to her quarry!