Fall River

F
fisherwilly
Went and fished the fall River the other day. There was a good BWO hatch going on. I caught this guy on a parachute imitation. I had plenty of almost rises, but they didn't like my flies. It was a little hard because I had my brother's dogs and they wanted to run around and scatter the trout close to the bank. Oh well just nice to get out. It was great to hike farther than everyone else and see some giant trout and solitude. I also saw tons of bull elk tracks.

• Fallltrout.jpg
Reactions: bigsteel
S
skunk
Aww, makes me miss that river! Nice job on the trout, try the hatchery (hint) for some easy pickin's.

L
lilsalmon
nice fish......

Reactions: bigsteel
G
GDBrown
Nice fish! When I hear that there were a lot of almost rises it tells me that they were taking emergers just under the surface. Next time you see that switch to an emerger pattern and see what a difference it makes.

F
fisherwilly
skunk said:
Aww, makes me miss that river! Nice job on the trout, try the hatchery (hint) for some easy pickin's.

There is something unnatural about the trout within 50 ft of parking areas on the Fall. You can stand over them and make the sloppiest casts and they won't hardly move. I like to get away from people and go after spooky fish that need some delicate casting. It is fun to dead drift nymphs without an indicator and watch the parking lot fish turn and take it.

F
fisherwilly
GDBrown said:
Nice fish! When I hear that there were a lot of almost rises it tells me that they were taking emergers just under the surface. Next time you see that switch to an emerger pattern and see what a difference it makes.

I will have to tie some up and fish them more often. I did see some fish taking bugs off the top. I also like to pull my dries under a couple inches to make a psuedo emerger. It works really well. Which emerger patterns do you like to fish?

S
skunk
fisherwilly said:
There is something unnatural about the trout within 50 ft of parking areas on the Fall. You can stand over them and make the sloppiest casts and they won't hardly move. I like to get away from people and go after spooky fish that need some delicate casting. It is fun to dead drift nymphs without an indicator and watch the parking lot fish turn and take it.

Me too, but when I want some quick action that never fails. Also seeing all the fish just hanging around is neat. You can observe how they feed and hold really well.

B
bigsteel
fisherwilly said:
I will have to tie some up and fish them more often. I did see some fish taking bugs off the top. I also like to pull my dries under a couple inches to make a psuedo emerger. It works really well. Which emerger patterns do you like to fish?
a lot of times if they are ALMOST rising they are sipping spinners on the surface...

O
OnTheFly
We put in a few hours on the Fall last year just above the hatchery. The fish were there but getting them to rise for a dry was frustrating. I managed to get a couple fish to come up and take my fly but the weird part was somehow they had the abilty to avoid the hook. So picture this; your dry fly is on a collision course to float directly over the fish. Trout sees fly, rises and takes fly, turns to go back down, and I'm thinking....fish on right? Nothing! My uncle and my son had exactly the same experience. The only thing I could figure is that the fish only grabbed the tail fibers. Can anyone suggest an adjustment I could have made? I have never had to trim the tail fibers from a dryfly before but I guess there's always a first time.

M
markasd
Some of the biggest baddest I've caught outta the Fall were on size 22 BWO's and 18-20 PA's. Wooly Buggers and leeches have also taken the largest Rainbow, and Browns down below the falls...
I can not tell you how many nights I've stayed out there and fished 2-3 days solid honing my fly fishing. Learned a ton on that river and miss it dearly.. traded it for steelhead over on the west side of the Cascades! Last time I fished it hard was just before/after the fire. Sounds like the fishing has rebounded nicely - above the hatchery wasn't affected so its always been pretty good.
Thanks for takin' me back!! Great memories.
mark

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
We put in a few hours on the Fall last year just above the hatchery. The fish were there but getting them to rise for a dry was frustrating. I managed to get a couple fish to come up and take my fly but the weird part was somehow they had the abilty to avoid the hook. So picture this; your dry fly is on a collision course to float directly over the fish. Trout sees fly, rises and takes fly, turns to go back down, and I'm thinking....fish on right? Nothing! My uncle and my son had exactly the same experience. The only thing I could figure is that the fish only grabbed the tail fibers. Can anyone suggest an adjustment I could have made? I have never had to trim the tail fibers from a dryfly before but I guess there's always a first time.
sounds like color denials.. happens to me a lot on imature fish 6-7 inchers or less that just charge a fly but change their mind in the last seconds.. I have found keeping about 10 color varietys of x-caddis tied very small will cure this problem a lot, the x has no hackle and can be tied very small, and it rides very low in the water, I tie them in steel or very light gray/blue dubbing yellow, greens, browns and black. for along time these and stimulators were the only drys I used-

O
OnTheFly
I'll keep that in mind. I was using 16's so maybe 18's would do the trick. The fish were between 12 and 14" and rose very slow for the take. Perhaps they only knocked my fly subsurface and it just Looked like they were taking it with them. If that were the case, it was a perfectly performed illusion worthy of a Vegas show.

G
GDBrown
If it was a very slow take then they were taking spinners rather than a more agile live bug. They only strike fast and hard if they think it can fly away. If they think it is dead or dying there is no rush to get it as it can't fly away. At least that is what the expert said on the "Ask About Fly Fishing" internet radio show I listened to last week.

S
spmpdr
Nice fish and great tips everyone!!!! Could someone post directions on how to get to the fall river exactly, if i understand correctly it is near la pine. I live in redmond and have wanted to fish it forever. My brother in law is in town so i was this gave me a great idea to take him down there.

S
spmpdr
fisherwilly said:
Went and fished the fall River the other day. There was a good BWO hatch going on. I caught this guy on a parachute imitation. I had plenty of almost rises, but they didn't like my flies. It was a little hard because I had my brother's dogs and they wanted to run around and scatter the trout close to the bank. Oh well just nice to get out. It was great to hike farther than everyone else and see some giant trout and solitude. I also saw tons of bull elk tracks.

NICE FISH MAN!!!!! If you want to head down there again send me an email or txt i go the next 3 days off!!!! My brother in law is here and loves to fish so i was hoping to get out on a river a few days this week!!!!

S
steelhead_slayer
head south on 97. tell u see a right @ vendervert rd. it says fall river on the sign, go to stop sign. then take a left. follow that road tell the three way just past the fire station. go right and stay on that road. fall river will be on the left a few miles past the bridge that takes u over the deschutes. u can fish the hatchery, above it, and below it

S
spmpdr
steelhead_slayer said:
head south on 97. tell u see a right @ vendervert rd. it says fall river on the sign, go to stop sign. then take a left. follow that road tell the three way just past the fire station. go right and stay on that road. fall river will be on the left a few miles past the bridge that takes u over the deschutes. u can fish the hatchery, above it, and below it

Awesome , thank you .

F
fisherwilly
spmpdr said:
NICE FISH MAN!!!!! If you want to head down there again send me an email or txt i go the next 3 days off!!!! My brother in law is here and loves to fish so i was hoping to get out on a river a few days this week!!!!

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Too much powder up in the mountains...Next Monday or Tuesday I will probably go. Give me a call or text and I can show you few different spots to fish. Bring your polarizers and we can do some sight fishing.

S
steelhead_slayer
bunch of people at the river today. heard a few guys say they were doing good. most didn't catch anything. i caught a couple on olive streamersfall.jpg. fish started to rise more at 4.