Fall River Report

O
OnTheFly
Saturday the 27th concluded a week of fly fishing in Central Oregon. If had I known the fishing was going to be this good at the Fall River, I think I would have camped here the whole time (well almost). We pulled into the Fall River fish hatchery for lunch then started walking up stream. The water was gin clear and large rainbow trout were highly visable. Some were under logs near the bank and others were out in the open. Every now and then one would rise and nab something floating by. It was hard to tell what the meals were because of the small size. I thought I saw a fish take something brown so I decided on a #18 March Brown dry fly. It worked. Sight fishing is a thrill. Positioning a fly so it is on course to float over the fish then watch the take is a magic moment! Even though our time there was brief, the experience was memorable.

Reactions: Raincatcher
R
redhawk50
nice fish! Is it easy to just fish from the shore there so no need for wading? Sight fishing is addicting!

Troutski
Troutski
Beginners Paradise...

Beginners Paradise...

It is my belief that every beginner should fish this place first, what a confidence builder. Congratulations on a very successful Cascade lakes swing. What was your total number of lakes fished?

Chuck

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
So much to learn,so many fish,so little time

So much to learn,so many fish,so little time

Very nice fish and great looking spot to find them. I hope you will post a more detailed report of your fishing week.
Is it fly fishing only there on the Fall River? I am still a dangerous novice with my fly gear so I still take my other gear,just in case. I haven't figured out how to accurately cast where I am aiming. I will be in that area for the Sisters Quilt Show,staying in Bend next Thursday through Sunday. Looking for a quiet,uncrowded spot where I can bank fish. Looks like you found the spot for me.
Be safe.
Barb

J
joesnuffy
last summer we couln't get those fish to rise at all, or hit a nymph for that matter.

we got them to start hitting big beadhead woollybuggers stripped in front of them.

Troutski
Troutski
Salmon egg...

Salmon egg...

joesnuffy said:
last summer we couln't get those fish to rise at all, or hit a nymph for that matter.

we got them to start hitting big beadhead woollybuggers stripped in front of them.

Try drifting a Salmon egg pattern, light colored; more orange than red, darker in the Spring but summer patterns are much lighter in color.
One of the few places in the state that does lend itself to fly angling, I must admit I don't fish it more than once or twice a year anymore. But the memories are still very clear in my mind of my youth and first trip, even have one of the pictures from my first trip framed and in my room.

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Raincatcher said:
Very nice fish and great looking spot to find them. I hope you will post a more detailed report of your fishing week.
Is it fly fishing only there on the Fall River? I am still a dangerous novice with my fly gear so I still take my other gear,just in case. I haven't figured out how to accurately cast where I am aiming. I will be in that area for the Sisters Quilt Show,staying in Bend next Thursday through Sunday. Looking for a quiet,uncrowded spot where I can bank fish. Looks like you found the spot for me.
Be safe.
Barb

Yes Barb, the Fall River is fly fishing only but don't be concerned by it. Casting is hardly neccessary. There are lots of trees and bushes around so a roll cast will do or just let out some line and side flick it out if you want. Most of the fish are near the bank and if you can get a dry fly to drift 15 feet you're golden! Just try not to let line drift over the fish. They hate that! They are doing road work on 42 so be prepared for a few bumps on the way. At the hatchery you must check out the two holding ponds...trust me!

As for details on my week, if you havn't already, look at threads starting with
'Gold Lake Report' then 'Crane Prairie Report', followed by 'Hosmer' and Fall River.

Thanks for the reply
Jim

O
OnTheFly
Troutski said:
It is my belief that every beginner should fish this place first, what a confidence builder. Congratulations on a very successful Cascade lakes swing. What was your total number of lakes fished?

Chuck

A beginner would come out of there thinking they have become an expert for sure!
There was a fish my wife was after but to get to it she needed to cast out around a bunch of bushes between her and the trout. From where she was standing, she had no view if the fish so I had to talk her to it. I saw the whole thing and the last words I said were "OK..pull up!"

Four areas total: Gold, Crane, Hosmer, and Fall River. It was a good dose but I wanted to stay the summer.:)

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
redhawk50 said:
nice fish! Is it easy to just fish from the shore there so no need for wading? Sight fishing is addicting!

I would say if you wanted to get in front of the bushes maybe some lightweights or shorts and aqua socks might help. I saw a couple people with waders but i think they're unnecessary. Besides, do you know how hot it gets over there? I almost bagged the fishing idea and went swimming! Well......maybe not..

Irishrover
Irishrover
OnTheFly Thanks for posting the trip. It brought back some fun memories. That Fall river is a ton of fun, trying to intice those fish to hit your fly while watching the fish.

Troutski you hit it on the head! Egg pattern. I was there once and could not get them to look at anything. I was about to give up when I saw a couple of egg patterns and put one on. I could not believe my eyes when one went after it and fish on!

Troutski
Troutski
Butterflys...

Butterflys...

Irishrover said:
OnTheFly Thanks for posting the trip. It brought back some fun memories. That Fall river is a ton of fun, trying to intice those fish to hit your fly while watching the fish.

Troutski you hit it on the head! Egg pattern. I was there once and could not get them to look at anything. I was about to give up when I saw a couple of egg patterns and put one on. I could not believe my eyes when one went after it and fish on!

When that happens I get huge butterflys in my gut...like Oh My God that hog is coming after my stuff....don't panic...to late. Still quite the fishery and a very beautiful place to boot. I think if I had only one place to fish in Oregon it would be Central Oregon...such a Mecca for angling. Of course this is only my opinion;)

Chuck