Fall rain and swinging flies

Southpaw
Southpaw
Got Friday off from work and headed to the river in the morning. Bought myself a new trout spey for an early birthday present a week ago and it fairly dialed in now. Started OFF pretty slow in the morning and in my second location in the same run I picked up these awesome fish. First one was the cutty11:43am, next was the first redside 11:50am,then the hold over stocker12:00 pm, then the really strong redside with the darker red markings12:18 pm. Swinging streamer was a pretty hot tactic and clearly a lucky day. After I got home I notice I was hitting these guys as a steady rain fall came in and as the river was rising just before it peaked based on the river levels I checked online for my log book. Probably my best day of message fish as I've caught some great ones before, but never consecutive and more than one on the same day. Both were over 18" and hope this fall will produce another run for me like this on the awesome mckenzie, I've been learning and putting in some serious time in this year. About 150 fishing days of wading this year and 100% fly fishing. Year round river, year round fisherman. (Minus the days I fish other rivers)

• photo31802.jpg
  • photo31803.jpg
  • photo31804.jpg
  • photo31805.jpg
Reactions: Troutski and Admin
G
Gulfstream
NICE! I am going to try swinging flys for steelhead this season

Southpaw
Southpaw
That's awesome, this month is exactly one year fly fishing for me and I went all in to fully dedicate the switch to fly fishing. Leave your conventional gear at home and don't give up, that's the only way to get better and gain confidence. One of the reasons I also decided to get a trout spey to keep the biomechanics fresh and since you can catch more keep that confidence up that I need to trust in my technique. And yes I'm full blown addicted to spey, I have one switch rod and 4 spey rods. My single hand stable is even worse. I'll be out this winter swinging the winter run myself and hoping to try for some late coastal fall kings as the rivers come up..good luck

EOBOY
EOBOY
I was just thinking of the Mac this morning, I've only fished from Deerhorn to Hendricks. Do you ever run into Hobbs? He lurks around the Mac all the time.

U
Ultramepps
Nice job.. Just beautiful fish. I too log weather and time info and believe that conditions make for great days when you hit them right.........
Cheers!

Southpaw
Southpaw
EOBOY surprisingly I haven't, I try to take a mental note on people from here thinking I would but haven't. Who knows how many times driving by each other I'm sure. No boat here so I'm always logging the hours wading the river. Hoping 2018 will be my boat year, eyeing a two person cataraft as my girlfriend is my fishing buddy also and she's just as much a die-hard as I am. Makes it easy not having to negotiate to go fishing

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hello Sp! Let me know what areas you fish? Southeast. Northewest, etc. Spey requires wide spaces and long cast. Any place that you can spey, you can centerpin. I like long drifts from banks ie. Dech utes. thanks. Tony

Southpaw
Southpaw
I'll fish any river I travel to and many motivate me to take trips. My home waters is the McKenzie as I'm in Eugene. I have fished the Santiams, siuslaw, middle fork Willamette, Deschutes, and Umpqua this year so far. Worth my shorter Skagit heads I can cat under brush, i.e. Opst commando heads, I scandi cast mostly with my rage head for versatility of touch and go and sustained anchor options and swinging small traditional files and skaters. I have different rods for different circumstances just like different tools for different jobs so I can cast anywhere. I also have single hand rods with multiple line setups so I can single hand overhead or spey cast which is fun.

hobster
hobster
Sounds like a great day! Gotta love them redsides:thumb: I hit Leaburg a lot for summers (not this year) and love fishing the holes on Deerhorn, as well as Armitage. If you ever see a red dodge truck with a gray topper and fishing stickers on it say hey!

hobster
hobster
EOBOY;n607612 said:
I was just thinking of the Mac this morning, I've only fished from Deerhorn to Hendricks. Do you ever run into Hobbs? He lurks around the Mac all the time.

Don't ever fish the Mac without hitting me up first! ;)

Southpaw
Southpaw
I'll do that, I used to have a grey Kia sportage with several fishing stickers, just got a new black Ford explorer, I'll keep an eye out for sure!

Southpaw
Southpaw
I fish the Deerhorn stretch quite a bit if the flows are looking pretty good. If it's slow for me I target the upper mckenzie. But typically I try to just dedicate one stretch on a full day fishing day. If it's a weekend I'm usually on the river about 6 hours or when daylight runs out lol

Casting Call
Casting Call
Southpaw;n607648 said:
I'll fish any river I travel to and many motivate me to take trips. My home waters is the McKenzie as I'm in Eugene. I have fished the Santiams, siuslaw, middle fork Willamette, Deschutes, and Umpqua this year so far. Worth my shorter Skagit heads I can cat under brush, i.e. Opst commando heads, I scandi cast mostly with my rage head for versatility of touch and go and sustained anchor options and swinging small traditional files and skaters. I have different rods for different circumstances just like different tools for different jobs so I can cast anywhere. I also have single hand rods with multiple line setups so I can single hand overhead or spey cast which is fun.

RIO Wind Cutters does most of the work for me. Streamers along with shooting heads are at the front end of most of my long casting lines. Thanks for ru local info. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
hobster;n607657 said:
Don't ever fish the Mac without hitting me up first! ;)

Can I play too? Tony

hobster
hobster
Casting Call;n608213 said:
Can I play too? Tony

I'd love to fish with you anytime Tony. This time of year I don't fly fish much but am getting amped up for winter steelhead fishing! If you guys want to hit the river to bank fish for some steelies hit me up! Or maybe Dana will bring his drift boat ;)

Reactions: EOBOY
EOBOY
EOBOY
hobster;n608215 said:
I'd love to fish with you anytime Tony. This time of year I don't fly fish much but am getting amped up for winter steelhead fishing! If you guys want to hit the river to bank fish for some steelies hit me up! Or maybe Dana will bring his drift boat ;)

:thumb: