Fall fishing has begun on the Siuslaw

C
chad wiest
I began my Fall Chinook season this last weekend on the Slaw. I was surprised how many Coho are in the river already for August and some clipped fish being caught as well. Fishing was pretty good for this time of year. Over 20 chinook were checked in on Saturday. I boated 6 chinook in three days and 8 coho. There are some fish around. Go out there and enjoy some time on the water and get dialed in so when the fish really show you are ready to rock. Good luck and tight lines!
Chad Wiest

R
rippin fish lips
You think with the coho already nosing into the rivers would be because of the salt levels in the bays??? And baitfish ofcourse... but thats out of question haha

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Can you keep clipped Coho yet?

E
eugene1
Awesome to hear chad!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958 said:
Can you keep clipped Coho yet?

yes, from NW zone regs:

"Pink salmon, sockeye salmon and adipose fin-clipped coho salmon
may be retained as part of the adult and jack salmon daily bag limit
in all waters that are currently open to angling for Chinook salmon or
steelhead, except as specified in Special Regulations"

with regards to the clipped coho in the Slaw and speaking as a member of Florence STEP group and hatchery team: you're welcome...:thumb:

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
So separate of the 2 wild fish? No yearly limit just tag it on punchcard?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958 said:
So separate of the 2 wild fish? No yearly limit just tag it on punchcard?

correct, the special wild coho season is totally separate from normal salmon season/rules...just make sure you tag it correctly as a "2".

you can only tag a "2W" between Sept15 and Oct15 and there can only be two of them on your Combined Tag from the group of central rivers. roger

Flyinfish57
Flyinfish57
Thanks for the report and greetings to all from a new member/ 1st poster. Could be another good year, we had such a blast last year with the Silvers. Trebles cut off n siwash put on and we fished for em with our steelie rods on 12lb line. No less than a dozen to the side of the boat one day, i think my buddy did 10. Avatar pic is from last year, some of you will recognize the spot. Lets hope we see "shangrala" again!

Reactions: rogerdodger
C
chad wiest
I think it is because of the bait that the coho have chosen to come in. Lots of it around! So roger, is step planting them in the river? I thought they were strays from the umpqua or munsel.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
chad wiest said:
I think it is because of the bait that the coho have chosen to come in. Lots of it around! So roger, is step planting them in the river? I thought they were strays from the umpqua or munsel.

Chad- we raise, clip, and plant (in May) a maximum of 10K into Ackerley Creek (inlet to Munsel Lake), those that are not accidentally caught in Munsel Lake find their way to the ocean...(we now have some coming back through the lake and spawning in Ackerley but obviously those would still have an adipose fin) This year, due to some issues with the eggs, we only got about 5K clipped and planted but an improved water system should get us back to the 10K target next year...

Munsel Creek comes in just up from the big RV park east of the Port boat launch, so our STEP coho should take a left turn there, any clipped coho moving up the river past where the N. Fork comes in are likely lost and very possibly could be Umpqua fish.

T
taconight2night
If a guy had a Friday off and no boat, what would be a method for a good shot at a salmon (any kind) on the Siuslaw? I'm new to the area... My best guess would be to tie on a Kastmaster and try to find a hole somewhere....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
taconight2night said:
If a guy had a Friday off and no boat, what would be a method for a good shot at a salmon (any kind) on the Siuslaw? I'm new to the area... My best guess would be to tie on a Kastmaster and try to find a hole somewhere....

depends if you mean this Friday or perhaps a Friday in October?...fish are just moving into the lower river, casting spinners OFF the Rhody rockwall should start producing a few fish soon but that spot really heats up in mid-Sept when coho flood the system and you can start retaining wild ones...

T
taconight2night
Cool thanks! I suppose I was meaning any Friday for the foreseeable future as I will have them off from now on!

C
coyo7e
rogerdodger said:
depends if you mean this Friday or perhaps a Friday in October?...fish are just moving into the lower river, casting spinners OFF the Rhody rockwall should start producing a few fish soon but that spot really heats up in mid-Sept when coho flood the system and you can start retaining wild ones...
I've hit up Rhody a couple times in the last couple weeks but I haven't seen anyone even attempt to stay for more than half an hour unless they're doing the classic "Rhody Drive, Park and Stare" routine. What is it about every random person in Florence just stopping there at any given time and sitting in their car without opening the doors, for an hour or more? :hi:

I did find a couple of really fiesty yellowjacket nests along there, made me wish I owned more camo gear because they loved my lime windbreaker, my khaki shirt, and my white undershirt.. Of course I haven't had a chance to get a nice high tide near dawn yet - crossing my fingers for this weekend or early next week.

It was surprisingly windy anywhere near the water in Florence today, the kite surfers were out in force on the south jetty and gave not one damn about the fact that I was throwing 2-3 oz of weight and multiple hooks around, when they'd cut in right next to where I had been standing and fishing along the south jetty beach. I need to bring some crab rings out there (and my truck, so I don't have to walk along the scree and sand and so my car wouldn't smell like seawater since I have no luggage rack - although today I did get to eat lunch in my car and watch a guy in a brand new 70k pickup with his temp registration still in the window, let the air out of all four tires to get un-bogged in the sand on the secondary lane off the end of the south jetty LOL :D ) because I saw a few folks with early limits, a week or so ago when I went out there.

H
Heceta_Rick
What is it about every random person in Florence just stopping there at any given time and sitting in their car without opening the doors, for an hour or more?
:hi:

Ah, eating lunch ;)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Y
Yogidabear
rogerdodger said:

but your only allowed two wild ones for the year correct ?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Yogidabear said:
but your only allowed two wild ones for the year correct ?

correct, you can retain 2 total wild coho from the group of "Mid-Coast and South Coast Streams". to get to your absolute max of 5 for the year requires catching some in the Coastal Lakes. you can also get 1 from the North Coast Streams (Tillamook Bay Tidewater, Nestucca Bay Tidewater).

It is very important for people to review these wild coho regs this year: most of the locations are not open up the rivers as far as past years and the seasons are shorter. Siuslaw- only open 9/15 to 10/15 and only to the mouth of Lake Creek (which is closed to wild coho this year!). Umpqua- only open 9/15 to 10/15 and only to the Scottsburg Bridge! (Smith River closed to wild coho)...North Coast locations very restricted with respect to days you can fish and what water is open...please review this years rules before retaining any wild coho (I think the ticket is $600! for making a mistake)...cheers, roger

Y
Yogidabear
I read the regs but are jack coho fair game on lake creek ?? and is under 20 inch and less coho considered a jack??

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Yogidabear said:
I read the regs but are jack coho fair game on lake creek ?? and is under 20 inch and less coho considered a jack??

you can only retain wild jack coho, 15" to 20"*, in specific locations and dates open to retention of wild coho adults. In those areas, you can still retain wild coho jacks even after reaching your annual or daily limit for wild coho adults but only if you have not reached your daily limit for salmon**.

2015 Coastal Wild Coho Salmon Sport Regulations: "Retention of one wild coho jack per day is allowed during seasons open for wild adult coho. Jack coho do not need to be recorded on the Combined Angling Tag (whether hatchery or wild)." (important here is to remember that the term "seasons" includes the dates and exact locations that are open to retention of wild coho).
so Lake Creek= no.

*page 7, perm regs.: " Jack salmon are coho between 15 and 20 inches in length" (under 15" is a smolt and coho smolt must always be released).

**so on a river open for chinook and coho, 2 fish daily limit, 1 of which can be a wild coho during that season, if you tag a wild coho adult first, you continue to fish for your second adult salmon that must now be a chinook, and catch a wild coho jack before getting an adult chinook, you can retain it. on the other hand, on Siltcoos/Tahkenitch/TenmileLakes, which are not open to chinook retention, the daily limit is 1 wild coho and once that is on your tag, you are done, it is illegal to retain a wild jack coho (or any trout) because you have reached the daily limit for salmon.
NW/SW Zone Regs: "Anglers may not continue to angle for jack salmon or trout after retaining a limit of adult salmon or steelhead."

Goofy but true: the coastal lakes (Siltcoos/Tahkenitch/Tenmile) are open only for non-fin clipped coho salmon. You would be committing an expensive violation (incorrect salmon retention) to retain any chinook or a fin-clipped coho during the wild coho season in those lakes- the special regs are very specific here, goofy perhaps, but very clear:
"Bag limit is one non fin-clipped adult coho salmon and one non fin-clipped jack coho
salmon per day and 5 total non fin-clipped adult coho salmon per year in aggregate with
other Northwest Zone and Southwest Zone waterbodies."