Fall day at Dodge Park Sandy River

Irishrover
Irishrover
I made it down to Dodge Park around 11:30 am today and they place was busy. Lots of folks fishing no one catching. I could see folks fishing way up past the bridge and on up to the Garbage hole. There were even folks fishing the Bull Run River. The river is low and off color, but it was still a kick to get out the spey rod and get a few flies stuck in the bottom. Friday it's down to Newport for a weekend of crabbing and trolling in the bay and river for chinook. I hear it's slow for both of them.;)

M
Mike123
That's off color? Need rain looks like.
I'll be there this weekend. Prob the Garbage Hole.

Irishrover
Irishrover
OK I'm a perfectionist. I like a lighter shade of green with a little more clarity with an arrow pointing to the fish.:lol:

M
Mike123
Man your the opposite of me! I LOVE that milky STEELHEAD green color! :D
I dislike gin clear water. Makes it that much harder.

T
Thuggin4Life
what bridge is that. i used to live up ther and have floated the river from stark street down t the bridge that goes to old troutdale and is above a park. I think i know where that is but the river looks different. Haven't been up there in 5 years.

Y
youngbuck307
up higher than that dont know the name of this bridge but its the one at dodge witch is above oxbow...

T
Thuggin4Life
ok i think most people i seen floating the river whn i put in at stark had started at the oxbow. farther up than i had ever been. The water looks a bit on the clear side so don't forget the ninja suits. lol. going up to gresham for turkey dinner this year and would like to hit the river for a bit. any advice? i know how to get to the road that follows the sandy from stark st. bridge. Aslo is that bar still there between stark bridge and troutdale bridge? the have some realy good deep friedfood. especially the shrooms. And Ihave been to the skate park in sandy but not sure where the river is out there.

T
towne821
ok i think most people i seen floating the river whn i put in at stark had started at the oxbow. farther up than i had ever been. The water looks a bit on the clear side so don't forget the ninja suits. lol. going up to gresham for turkey dinner this year and would like to hit the river for a bit. any advice? i know how to get to the road that follows the sandy from stark st. bridge. Aslo is that bar still there between stark bridge and troutdale bridge? the have some realy good deep friedfood. especially the shrooms. And Ihave been to the skate park in sandy but not sure where the river is out there.

Thuggin,

I live in Sandy,
I'll take you anywhere you want to go if you help me work on my SKUNK before the year is over. :pray:

H
here2fish
Thuggin4Life said:
what bridge is that. i used to live up ther and have floated the river from stark street down t the bridge that goes to old troutdale and is above a park. I think i know where that is but the river looks different. Haven't been up there in 5 years.

lusted road bridge

Irishrover
Irishrover
here2fish said:
lusted road bridge
That's correct. That is where Lusted Road crosses the Sandy and comes to Dodge Park. If you veer to the right it will take you to Marsh Road and on up to the Garbage Hole. If you veer left you can go by were Rosalyn Lake used to be and end up coming back across the Sandy on Revenue Bridge on Teneyck Rd then past Fish Hatchery Road which will take you to the Cedar Creek Hole.

Last edited:
Y
youngbuck307
really i didn't know if you went left it would take you all the way back to CC... do you turn on to any other roads beside the hatcher road???

Irishrover
Irishrover
youngbuck307 said:
really i didn't know if you went left it would take you all the way back to CC... do you turn on to any other roads beside the hatcher road???
After you cross the bridge veer left and go up the hill on Lusted, keep going the road curves all over the place, you'll go past a real nice piece of ground on your left that looks like a giant lawn (it's a grass field airport) and has one of those white plastic fences around it. At that point there is a road that veers right and one veers left, go left, the airport should still be on your left. Where Rosalyn Lake was should be on your right. Right after you pass the airport there should be a small Sandy Fire Station on your left. Keep going, just as you pass where the lake used to end is a road to the left..........do.......not......take it, it will take you down to the Bull Run River and the old power house. Keep going it's at that point the roads name changes to Teneyck a few more curves and the road will go past a grave yard on your right the two 90 degree turns and you will cross the Sandy again at Revenue Bridge (Part of the Barlow Trail). Stay on Teneyck and it will go up the hill to Fish Hatchery Rd. Coming the other way through Sandy is a lot easier for most folks. But yes you can get there going the back way.

Last edited:
Y
youngbuck307
ok i get it now lol i use to live up in that area so kinda know it but i only lived there for a few times... so stay left where old rosalyn use to be then dont take the left lol right??? not right but correct should i say. good with directons too so should be able to make that drive. that was closed this winter wasn't it??

O
OneMore
Irishrover Im pretty sure I saw you taking those pics. Pretty slow down there for sure. There is a surprising amount of people out fishing for little catches. I did manage to pick up a nice big native buck and lost another farther upriver. I am afraid with the low low columbia and lack of rains our sandy river run is going to be a bust. Either that or a late run. Lets hope they start dumping some water at the john day and Bonneville dams.:pray: Oh yeah and get your rain on!:dance::dance:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Some rain would be nice. I'm down at Newport now and it rained here a bit but then turned into a nice day. Looks like some of the guys got into some fish today.;)