Fall Chinooks are finally showing up!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to OFF!

Welcome to OFF!

Welcome to one of the country's finest fishing forums,HookedOnSilvers! Glad you found us. You will learn that we ask each other dozens of questions a day and almost always get a response. It you cannot find the info you are looking for,enter a keyword in the "search" box at the top of this page. That will lead you to all forums with that word in it. For example: chinook. That will lead you to forums that tell you that the Clackamas and Sandy rivers both have great fishing right now. They are both on the east side of Portland. If you want more answers, hang around and be patient. If you ask it, the answer will come.
By the way, you could make big points by telling more about your trip to Alaska. I have relatives in Soldotna (Easthams),maybe I should give them a call....hope to hear from you often.
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
The Willammette, Columbia, Sandy, & my favorite, Clackamas Rivers are all within 15 or so minutes of the Greater Portland Area. Coho are not in predictable numbers yet, but there are still Steelhead, and some chinook holdin out. Lots of rollin Jack Chinook on the Clackamas as I witnessed today. Say lots of people including a pair of Rangers floating calling them "Silvers." Nay, there are a few in the River, but none have been fished out yet. They will be here, so if you hang out, the Coho banter gets hot on most forums as they funnel upriver...Stay tuned!

H
HookedOnSilvers
Thanks for the quick responses

Thanks for the quick responses

Thanks. I'm definitely going to check out the Sandy or Clackamas.

From what I heard, Alaska silvers are having a rough year. I was there during the Seward Salmon Derby, and there was talks of extending it. I caught some silvers, but everywhere I was at on the peninsula I heard the same kind of thing, the silvers are late. Photo of two of the bigger coho's.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
Blderman
ArcticAmoeba said:
The Willammette, Columbia, Sandy, & my favorite, Clackamas Rivers are all within 15 or so minutes of the Greater Portland Area. Coho are not in predictable numbers yet, but there are still Steelhead, and some chinook holdin out. Lots of rollin Jack Chinook on the Clackamas as I witnessed today. Say lots of people including a pair of Rangers floating calling them "Silvers." Nay, there are a few in the River, but none have been fished out yet. They will be here, so if you hang out, the Coho banter gets hot on most forums as they funnel upriver...Stay tuned!

Arctic,

Did you try catching any of the jacks? I didn't have a chance to go back down today, too busy working.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yes, I did, just not at the Barton Bridge... Ht a little piece of P.P. upriver about 1/4 mile. One hatchery Jacker @ about 22." Didn't end up keeping for dinner, and a bunch of wild kids, perhaps 8 or 9, didn't really keep track, as these fish all came on the same rotator, in about 1 1/2 hours...But the wild fish were all cookie cutters, at 20." Again, lots of people calling this run of Jack, the first push of Coho... Oh well, I guess if less people are targeting the same species I am, it makes for better odds...

F
FishSchooler
All set.

All set.

Went out to buy school supplies, then stopped by dick's sporting goods (i never knew that there was one close by until I drove behind the mall with my mom shopping for clothes a month ago. Bought 2 #4 blue foxes, one silver blade blue body and the other silver/orange tipped blade and black with silver glitter body, and one #5 gold blade orange body with 4 2 oz kidney leads, I am all ready for some hot salmon action, see yall on the water!

F
FishSchooler
Cchinook, one last question... :D Did you fish like right next to the deadline/sign or further down the river away from the crowd on the big rocks?