Failed knots - lost fish

hobster
hobster
Well, since I got my awesome new 4-10 drift rod I have been using 10 lb main and 8 lb leader, before I always used 12 lb main and 10 lb leader even for summers and had plenty of success. I really like this rod and don't want to use too heavy of line in fear of breaking the tip. Anyway, I've had a few snags and my leader slipped off the swivel even with an improved clinch knot. Today I hooked a beautiful fish and it was the first one I lost to a leader slipping off the swivel without breakage. I was pretty bummed, they are hard enough to land without equipment failure. This has never happened with 10 lb. leader, has anyone else had this happen? Should I wet the leader before tying on? I know lots of guys who use 8 lb. leader and they don't seem to have the problem. I'm learning the fishin fool knot - might be the answer. Never gonna let this happen again!

E
eugene1
Good practice to wet the knot before pulling it tight always!

If you want to see how your knots hold up before they are testing a fish, just try to pull on it at home while connected to a solid object.

Good luck to ya,

C_Run
C_Run
I lost a nice Chinook due to a slipping knot early in my fishing career. My buddy who was coaching me examined my rigging and said I was cutting the tag ends too close. Now I always leave a longer tag end, and never mind the aesthetics. I also switched from clinch knot to river's inlet knot for mono for most purposes when fishing for larger fish like salmon and steelhead. I have had my line broken but no more slipping knots.

F
fishing_mission
Mono or fluoro line ? Fluorocarbon will slip with some conventional knots used for mono

T
troutmasta
hobster said:
Should I wet the leader before tying on?

Always. wet the knot with a bit of saliva.

Also once snug, make sure you are 'pushing' the knot tight with your fingernails as opposed to 'pulling' it tight with the tag end and/or main line.

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
Mono. I always use Maxima ultragreen for leaders, love it! I've never wet my leaders before tying on, maybe it's time to. And C_run I always cut my line pretty close to the swivel, I should have clarified that I drift fish mostly, and I've had the leader twist up if the tags are too long. It's weird, I fly fish a lot for trout and this never happened with 5x tippet, then again big difference between a trout and steelie!

hobster
hobster
troutmasta said:
Always. wet the knot with a bit of saliva.

Also once snug, make sure you are 'pushing' the knot tight with your fingernails as opposed to 'pulling' it tight with the tag end and/of main line.

I usually push with nails and then pull, and always give a good tug to make sure its snug. I'm gonna wet the line from now on, you guys convinced me.

B
bigboy70
Being a machinist I have a very sensitive touch I can usually feel .001 of an inch on something (sheet of paper is .003-.006 of an inch) I'll be the first one to tell you a couple years ago your wasting your time playing with spit! Upon re entry to the brother/sister hood of fishing for the big boys I would tie my leader snug the knot by pushing like trout masta said and feel for imperfections and I was surprised on how many small negative I was feeling going WTF if I get a fish thats gunna snap! So started wetting my line before pushing tight and tada no negative in my line (fluro is worse when it comes to friction) and all 4 fish this month came on the 3rd cast of re rigging for that hole so when I fish with anyone I tell them take your time with your knots no use tying a half a$$ knot to snap on a fish moments later. So DEFINITELY wet you line and take you time ( I remind myself all the time)

Also really noticed when I switched to 2lb test for trout how I would tie my knot and tighten it and snap so thats when I really started doing for every knot I tie on my rods better to be safe then be in your sitiuation sorry bout the lost fish bud you'll get next time tiger!:D

Last edited:
M
madturtle
Forget about the improved clinch knot aka the Trilene knot. If you want a knot thats dam near fail safe use a Palomar knot at all connections. I learned the knot from my uncle thats is a tournament bass fisherman. I have never had a knot failure using this knot.

hobster
hobster
Never heard of a palomar knot used for mono, I always use that one for braid on my bobber rod but I prefer mono for drift fishing. I agree bigboy, always take your time with knots. I learned that the hard way a few years ago!

T
troutmasta
It is all about spit. It keeps the knot from getting hotter than you can imagine from friction and weakining. The knot used is not the issue but a polamar knot is a braid knot. I use it when I tie spoons to mainline though because its not a symmetric knot and pulls to one side creating action and the line is doubled up on the eye of the hook (spoon in this case) creating a stronger metal to line joint. Its not a common mono knot though.

C
ChezJfrey
I have three words in response:

Palomar
Fish-N-Fool
Spit

All you need to know :)

hobster
hobster
ChezJfrey said:
I have three words in response:

Palomar
Fish-N-Fool
Spit

All you need to know :)

That's actually 9 words.:thumb: I've been practicing and reading about the fish-n-fool and I think it's awesome, it's my new go to knot for the swivel. Oh yeah, and wettin that sucker down.