EZ Eggs

A
Airs98
From the label:
"they will outlast and outperform any cured roe or imitation"

Has anyone tried them? Are they really that good? I opened a bag and they
reek plastic. If I can smell it so will the salmon, right?

B
bigdog
Airs98 said:
From the label:

Yeah I'm thinking you waisted your money there.

M
mgdguy
Airs98 said:
From the label:

Been tryin them, no luck yet... :(

G
Grant23
Hmm smelled of plastic? Must of been a bad batch.
While EZ eggs are not as effective as real eggs in most situations, I have had tremendous success with them drifting faster water for steelhead.
They are less productive for coho, and I would not use them for Chinook.
I like them for creating a 2-3 berry presentation.

V
VagrantAngler
I've used EZ Eggs for the last two years to crush Chinook Jacks on the Nisqually River in Olympia. They work great for Steelies as mentioned above. Try them in the Chartreuse or the Red. Never had much luck with the Natural or pink. Haven't ever tried the blue...

A
Anyfishisfine
How do you guys rig them up? I tried holding them with the bait-loop, but didn't like how they stick out, so now I shove a string of 4 or so onto the shank of the hook leaving 2 dangling. I then put a bit of yarn in the loop to help make it look better.

I haven't had any luck with them yet though, but I've only been using them for Coho season so far.

O
osmosis
Was talking about these just the other day.
They are shrimp flavored "eggs". Shrimp AND eggs are ok, but not when there isn't any egg to the "eggs"..

When was the last time you bit into a hamburger, but it tasted like watermelon? would you keep eating it? - same premise.

I am not a fan of EZ eggs.
I can see steelhead eating them, since they even eat plastic beads.

None of the good fishermen I know like them enough to fish them personally. Some guides use them with clients to sidedrift - so they don't have to "waste" eggs on clients for steelhead.

Last edited:
M
mgdguy
osmosis said:
When was the last time you bit into a hamburger, but it tasted like watermelon?

Are you saying I should be putting cheeseburger on my hook? :lol:

O
osmosis
If you don't like catching fish then go for it!!

M
Mike123
I should rephrase as I was drinking last night. haha.

They work in certain times decently for steelhead.
For salmon I don't think anything works but the real thing.
You may find a few coho here or there that will eat them. But figuring out coho is like brain surgery at times.

Last edited:
D
dude young
osmosis said:
Was talking about these just the other day.
They are shrimp flavored "eggs". Shrimp AND eggs are ok, but not when there isn't any egg to the "eggs"..

When was the last time you bit into a hamburger, but it tasted like watermelon? would you keep eating it? - same premise.

I am not a fan of EZ eggs.
I can see steelhead eating them, since they even eat plastic beads.

None of the good fishermen I know like them enough to fish them personally. Some guides use them with clients to sidedrift - so they don't have to "waste" eggs on clients for steelhead.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.... ...watermelon flavored hamburger.

J
JeannaJigs
I tried these things this summer for steelhead...I made a cluster of about 4 around the shank and wrapped with thread....

Did it work?

Negatory.

Could they work? Yeah I'm sure they could...some fish are stupid, really stupid.

I wouldn't mess with 'em again though.

R
Razz
Clear water steelheading only used them on the Elk,Hunter Creek,Chetco & Winchuck also Smith CA. Eggs used were from 1-3 singles in an egg loop ,maybe this is a secret because very few guides will tell you how much it's used sidedrifting for steelhead.I know just because a guide uses it does not make it good,maybe it's because they are fishing from a boat????

Last edited:
B
Bucknasty
I have had luck with ez eggs for winter steelhead and no luck for springers!! Generally the ez eggs have worked for me when used in combo with a yarn ball in the egg loop and an ez egg or two slid up the hook just to help keep the yarn ball in the egg loop... I have tied up ez egg clusters with some white yarn in there and have had no luck compared to a good batch of cured eggs! Thats my two cents, you can give me change if you think its necessary : ) cheers, bob

B
bigdog
Ok here is a penny back for your thoughts, I have had some luck with them one or two on a hook and white yarn in the faster water for summers. The only reason I think they work ok in the faster water is because the fish have way less time to think about it and smell it.
For sure though nothing like real eggs and will never get as many on ez eggs as you will on real ones.

CJ

B
Bucknasty
your right and i certainly wasn't trying to say they work as well as real eggs : ) just saying thats the only way i have had luck with them! cheers, Bob

B
bigdog
I know you weren't I just wanted to be able to give you some change back :lol:

B
Bucknasty
Thanks : ) God knows i need to save my pennies for that "certified pro " jig rod : ) Cheers, Bob

B
bigdog
:lol: Yeah I think we all need to save our pennies but my seven year old steals all mine :lol: