Exploring pays off today

D
dozer365
Got a tip from a buddy at work. He has been hunting or scouting not sure what. Anyway he told me where to go and I grabbed a buddy and went. We left Beaverton around 615. Got down to the river and crossed a bridge. Got out and talked to one older gentleman who had caught a jack chinook just earlier that morning. While we were talking I saw fish rolling all over down river. Noticed a gravel pullout and made our way to the sloughy type tide water. Crazy mud. Not used to that. One guy fishing there. He left shortly after we arrived.
My buddy was throwing spinners and I got out my noodle bobber rod. We both ran 12 lbs line. We were chasing after coho. I put on some winter steel head eggs out of the clack. Cured with nates baits. Irredescent red. Had a bunch of bait robber hits. Small stuff. Dancing bobber but never under.
My buddy hooked one on the spinner but it came off shortly after hooking it. That was all the action aside from a 7" sculpin that gutted my 2 ott hook and dunked my bobber. A moment of excitement. Fish rolling everywhere. Mostly bright. Some already colored up. But no bites. I did miss a down bobber. Pulled the trigger but nothing there.
That was our action tell about 10:30 when another older local came down. I asked him jokingly if he was " going to show us how it's done". He cast and within a few His bobber slips under. He pulls the trigger, drag clicked and fish off. My bobber was about 3' away from where his had been. A minutes later my bobber starts dancing and goes against the current and slips under. I set the hook on a nice little hatchery chinook and had a blast fighting it on my sst sidedrifter 9'6" 4-10 lbs light action bobber rod. It was prolly a 10-12 lbs buck and much brighter then the picture shows.
Next time I'll bring more eggs and sandshrimp lol. We had a blast though. And my shorts are holding up just fine.

Chromatose
Chromatose
A little leg work always pays OFF.

D
DrTheopolis
Just a guess -- this was in the greater Tillamook area (no need to tell).

I'll be hitting those fisheries up a bunch (hopefully) in the coming weeks. In these low water years, sometimes the upper tidewater stretches get freaking jam-packed before the rains come. Sometimes it's in unlikely spots, like the side-sloughs (which there's a buhzillion of in Upper Tillamook Bay/lower rivers).

Much easier to do in a little boat, but driving around and finding cars parked off the beaten path can yield some good bank spots.

I think over the next couple of weeks, that fishery is going to take off like crazy... just a guess.

O
OnTheDrop
DrTheopolis said:
Just a guess -- this was in the greater Tillamook area (no need to tell).

I'll be hitting those fisheries up a bunch (hopefully) in the coming weeks. In these low water years, sometimes the upper tidewater stretches get freaking jam-packed before the rains come. Sometimes it's in unlikely spots, like the side-sloughs (which there's a buhzillion of in Upper Tillamook Bay/lower rivers).

Much easier to do in a little boat, but driving around and finding cars parked off the beaten path can yield some good bank spots.

I think over the next couple of weeks, that fishery is going to take off like crazy... just a guess.

It's good now, and getting better :)

D
dozer365
Not tilly. Think more Astoria. And that all I'm saying. Taking my kid now.

Last edited:
S
Socaaron
oh oh I want to play the guessing game too! pm sent

D
DrTheopolis
dozer365 said:
Next time I'll bring more eggs and sandshrimp

Don't know about the Astoria streams, but further south, my bait-chucking friends are pretty convinced the Tillamook Cocktail is the way to go - glob of eggs and a sandshrimp together. I don't really get into bait fishing, and I really don't like dealing with the eggs, so if circumstances dictate bobber fishing (crowds), I stick with just a sandshrimp, and my buddies think I'm crazy... so I'll pull out the hardware and show them what's what.

Such a fun time of year at the coast.