Expanding to surf and steelhead, reel advice needed

Fattie
Fattie
I am starting up steelhead and surf fishing, and don't have an appropriate reel. After doing some research, i think a 4000 size spinning reel should be ideal for me, and I'm looking for some validation or feedback. I don't have a boat, so I'm primarily bank fishing the steelhead.
A baitcaster is not an option for me. I have the coordination of a drunk toddler.
I don't need brand advice or anything.. I'm poor, so I'll be going entry level whatever is on sale..i just mostly want to check my size, since I'll only be buying a single reel thanks to the aforementioned poorness.
Thanks again,
Fat

A
Anotherdude
3000 is plenty for both. I have both a 4000 and 3000 and the 4000 feels like overkill. Make sure you're using different poles for both though.

Fattie
Fattie
I have a 7' 6" ugly stick and a 9' Winston. I plan on surf and steelhead fishing with the Winston.

P
pinstriper
Fattie said:
I have a 7' 6" ugly stick and a 9' Winston. I plan on surf and steelhead fishing with the Winston.

How heavy is the rod ? Convention is to throw a 3-4oz weight, which is a heavy salmon rod, not steelhead gear.

Of course, you don’t really need to throw that heavy. If you can throw 1 oz. you can still cast about 100’. You won’t hold the bottom in anything but near dead calm, but it will keep it down as you slow retrieve.

P
pinstriper
I just saw this rod on the other thread. Not suitable for surf fishing at all. It's a casting rod, not spinning. That means it wants a baitcasting reel, not a spinning reel. It doesn't look to me like it would be able to throw a 1+ oz weight. You don't want to snap the tip when you try.

I mean, you COULD put a baitcaster on it and fish close in with light weights. There ARE people who fly fish in the surf, believe it or not. But to me that's a werewolf story - you hear about it but has anyone ever SEEN it ?

It's almost like it is spey rod, or maybe wants a centerpin reel ?

troutdude
troutdude
PS makes a good case above. What you have is indeed a Winston casting rod blank. The spline is on the opposite side of a spinning rod. So a casting rod, would definitely not make a good rod for surf perch angling. As it would have no "backbone" and, as suggested, would likely break.

Instead get yourself a 9-12 spinning rod, for surf perch. Which will have the spline/backbone on the correct side. Then put a spinning reel on that rod.

Reactions: Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
Gpa, so gson tells me that your upper body can cast sidearm/sling with a caster. You won't have to load the rod so hard. Practice, practice, and practice. GL

Chromatose
Chromatose
Fattie, use your Ugly stick and put a 3000 on it like AD mentioned.

Pinstriper, there isn't a line stripper on his Winston, which a Centrepin/Centerpin would require. Also, I Surf fish with a Bug Wand and I have been known to catch a couple of fish in the process.

Casting Call
Casting Call
IMHO So much bad advice being given leads to bad HABITS in the future. Fattie save up your coins, buy the right gear that's affordable.GL Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
Wait, wait, wait! Before some of you come at me consider the advice you gave. Tony

A
Anotherdude
All sound advice above. Just remember, for surf perch you'll be casting 2-3oz sinkers, so make sure the rod is rated for that much weight otherwise you'll break the rod or you won't cast very far. Anything 9" or longer is ideal. Also make sure you get a decent set of insulated waders if you're planning on being in the surf.

P
pinstriper
Anotherdude said:
All sound advice above. Just remember, for surf perch you'll be casting 2-3oz sinkers, so make sure the rod is rated for that much weight otherwise you'll break the rod or you won't cast very far. Anything 9" or longer is ideal. Also make sure you get a decent set of insulated waders if you're planning on being in the surf.

Meh, yeah I run Okuma Rockaways, so sure. But honestly, a 3/4 oz on a steelhead spinning rod would do quite well so long as you can cast to where the surf is 3' deep or so. If I was taking a newb out to the surf that's what I'd give them.

And in the summer I don't bother with waders and such, just swim trunks. I DO STILL WEAR my neoprene booties. If your feet are warm and the sun is shining on a warm day, its nice to have your legs in the cold water.

I never wade in deeper than my knees anyway. In all other conditions I wear dry pants and a 2mm neoprene jacket.

P
pinstriper
Chromatose said:
Also, I Surf fish with a Bug Wand and I have been known to catch a couple of fish in the process.

Ah-WOOOOOOOoooooooooo................

• Haha
Reactions: Hooked Up
Fattie
Fattie
Chromatose said:
Fattie, use your Ugly stick and put a 3000 on it like AD mentioned.

Pinstriper, there isn't a line stripper on his Winston, which a Centrepin/Centerpin would require. Also, I Surf fish with a Bug Wand and I have been known to catch a couple of fish in the process.
I discovered today that my ugly stik is actually just 7'.

• IMG_20200526_165159.jpg
Fattie
Fattie
I will just pick up a new rod and reel, and just go even cheaper than i wanted. unless i find a sale worth pushing back to the wife over.
So, I've heard a couple arguments for the 3000.. but i thought i would rather a 4000 to maybe land some lingcod or another bigger fish off the rocks. If I'm mistaken, I'll look for a 3000. Opinions are still welcome

P
pinstriper
By "off the rocks" you mean standing on the jetty, right ?

Depth will be under 50', and the height of the rocks off the surface another 20'.

You don't need a 4000.

Reactions: Fattie and Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
IMHO A-line stripper guide is not needed on an 11ft or 14ft rod that is used for a center-pin reel. It depends on the type of presentation/cast and drift speed required. Tony

Pinstriper, there isn't a line stripper on his Winston, which a Centrepin/Centerpin would require.
[/QUOTE]

jamisonace
jamisonace
Pawn shops are a great place to find decent reels for $10. Sometimes you get what you pay for and other times you score.

I have a 9' ugly stick with a 4000 reel I use in the surf. Got it for $30.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Casting Call. your entitled to your humble opinion, but in the Professional world of Rod builders a true Centerpin/Centrepin Rod build consists of a stripping guide of at least a #20. If you would like to fact check please do www.rodbuilding.org Centerpin/Centrepin builds are very much like spinning builds. I`m still a novice @ 25 years. Granted a guy/girl can build any way they deem fit or build to suit their needs.

Pinstripeter, what does this mean? Ah-WOOOOOOOoooooooooo................
I`m not sure how making comment that I fish in the surf or that I catch a fish or two would lead to this type of comment.

Fattie, good luck in your quest in both fishing and finding out just what type of blank you have inherited.

Casting Call or Pinstriper please feel free to message me to continue discussions, as any more comments directed at me in Fatties post is counter productive to his original posting.

Reactions: troutdude
P
pinstriper
Chromatose said:
Pinstripeter, what does this mean? Ah-WOOOOOOOoooooooooo................

It's the sound of a Werewolf, LOL.