Excuse my ignorance but what is a steelhead?

Bama Creek Bum
Guys,
I’m from Alabama and I’ve never been to Oregon, so I won’t be able to contribute much. I was watching a guy on YouTube and he fishes in Oregon, mostly for steelhead. The streams are beautiful and his fishing methods/terminal tackle are all foreign to me but it piqued my interest enough that I searched and found this site.

Where I live we have rainbow trout stocked year-round IN ONE STREAM. The trout can only survive in the first 1/2 mile of the stream because past that the water, like the rest of our streams, reaches a point just below boiling in the summer months.

We fish for these stocked trout several times a year (45 minutes from my home) but our native fish are largemouth bass, spotted bass, smallmouth bass (an hour north of me) catfish, bream, crappie, etc.

so, what is a steelhead?

thanks,
Bama Creek Bum

Reactions: Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum. I hope you don't mind if a guy doesn't answer your question. Here is a 72 year old woman's answer...
The steelhead, a sea-run rainbow or redband trout, is the largest race of rainbow in Oregon. They are famous worldwide for line-peeling runs and putting up spectacular, acrobatic fights. Features: Steelhead are rainbow or redband trout.

1646395984235.png

Last edited:
Bama Creek Bum
Thanks for the answer. ”Guys” wasn’t meant to infer men only, I just didn’t want to sound so muck like a redneck by saying “y’all”.😁

• Haha
Reactions: Raincatcher
305to503fishermen
A Steelhead is a rainbow trout that lives most of it's life in the ocean and only come back to the streams and rivers to spawn. Unlike a Salmon they do not die after they spawn.

Reactions: Bama Creek Bum and rogerdodger
Raincatcher
Bama Creek Bum said:
Thanks for the answer. ”Guys” wasn’t meant to infer men only, I just didn’t want to sound so muck like a redneck by saying “y’all”.😁
No problem. I've lived most of my life in Oregon (born in Colorado) and I use the term "y'all" all the time. lol

Reactions: Bama Creek Bum
Casting Call
Welcome aboard!! How's about "all you all" or how about north of us EH! Now me I am from So. Philli. (So. Philippines. lol. Tony

Reactions: Bama Creek Bum and Raincatcher
Top Bottom