Everyone has an opinion - what's yours?

S
Scoots
After a very long absence, my wife and I are getting back into fishing, particularly for Kokanee at Green Peter, as GP is only a half hour from home. We'll be doing some trolling in our little boat, and I'll be working on some downriggers to help with the catching success.

I used to fish the McKenzie many years ago and I used Trilene XL mono for my line, but now the choices are overwhelming.

F
fishingfreak
I have never heard of it til now! I only use Maxima Ultragreen, and Izorline XXX. Never had a problem with either of them.

FF

N
Ntofishing
I have only used a few out of that list. I would also add Spiderwire Mono to that and say it is one of the better I have used. As for Berkely I am not a fan of their products.

1.Spiderwire mono
2. P-Line CX Premium
3. Yo-Zuri Hybrid
4. Berkley Trilene XL - not impressed
5. Berkley Trilene Big Game - not impressed
6. Cajun Red Cast - trying that this year

A
Amberjack
I have some real issues with what/how/under what conditions he/she is rating line. Mentions Bass as the species targeted. They state that a "soft line" is imperative for casting yet abrasion resistance. Rocks, underwater brush, and fish gills will abrade line. Extremely important to check your line from the lure up to at least 5 yards for nicks and frays, anglers responsibilities. Also they never mentions breaking strength vs rated line strength. Never mentions knot tying either. It appears this is a site to sell line. I have never seen their #1 line for sale. We exclusively use the #10 rated line.

S
slabjig
If you're just interested in a good line for kokanee, probably most any of the name brand monofilaments would be fine. With good knots and paying attention to frayed line, breakoffs are rare (unless you're after a new world record at Wallowa lake). A big Green Peter koke would be 15-16 inches and if your drag is set appropriately, most any decent 10# mono is gonna do the trick....you're more likely to rip the hook out of their mouth than break one off.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. I agree. You really don't need a specialized line at GP. I've lost kokes an trout, but it has never been due to a snapped line. I use 8# main, and 6# leader.

BTW, the author of that articles say that you can catch a 20 lb. fish w/ 10 lb. line. Heck, that's nothing. I have caught several Nooks on 10 lb. mono line. And some of them were 40 pounds or more.

H
halibuthitman
I have been in every **** hole store in america.. and about a 3 rd of the other ones around the world... and Berkley is simply the most sold, most demanded and least expensive for its applications available.. anywhere in the world that you can buy a coke or a budwieser beer you can get some trilene, trilene can effectively land any fish you are good enough to play. You should respool at least once a year, or you can do it 3 times a year like I do... $25 line starts to get pretty expensive, maxima is fine line as well, mabe better than trilene.. but thats splitting hairs, I caught my first 2000 fish in my life off that bottom shelf crap from Kmart, danelison I think it was, or eagle claw, anyway.. like was previously stated, the soft mouth would be much more of a concern to me... just tryin to make a hook stick.

H
halibuthitman
Ntofishing said:
I have only used a few out of that list. I would also add Spiderwire Mono to that and say it is one of the better I have used. As for Berkely I am not a fan of their products.

1.Spiderwire mono
2. P-Line CX Premium
3. Yo-Zuri Hybrid
4. Berkley Trilene XL - not impressed
5. Berkley Trilene Big Game - not impressed
6. Cajun Red Cast - trying that this year

you have tried 6 different lines... Im guessing you haven't been over impressed by any line yet.

N
Ntofishing
halibuthitman said:
you have tried 6 different lines... Im guessing you haven't been over impressed by any line yet.

If you read my post I said "Spiderwire Mono is the better I have used". LOL! Looks like you got a little hot under the collar because I don't like Trilene. No need to get upset. In my opinion it is an inferior line, I am sure you and others love it.

H
halibuthitman
not hot under the collar at all... its just such a funny old worn out debate.. memory and birds nests are just part of fishing, and super fancy designer lines promise things they don't produce. I always reel to close my bail, buy my line at Fred meyers, I never use swivels with spinners, only spoons... and I don't seem to be working on birds nests any more than my buddies with superfly razer shot zinc coated uv treated kevlar re-enforced obama administration approved silk coated line. Line is a non-issue, and very much over thought.

B
beaverfan
halibuthitman said:
not hot under the collar at all... its just such a funny old worn out debate.. memory and birds nests are just part of fishing, and super fancy designer lines promise things they don't produce. I always reel to close my bail, buy my line at Fred meyers, I never use swivels with spinners, only spoons... and I don't seem to be working on birds nests any more than my buddies with superfly razer shot zinc coated uv treated kevlar re-enforced obama administration approved silk coated line. Line is a non-issue, and very much over thought.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::rolleyes:

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. The type of line matters very little. It is the rating (i.e. the point at which it will break) that counts.

However, if casting distance is your goal...just "pre-stretch" it like I mentioned previously. You will then cast like a champ.

A
Amberjack
halibuthitman said:

Yes but have you tried Area 51 line? OMG this stuff will land fish for you. Line rated/opinions are also based on angler confidence. Also shelf life plays an important role as well. Line that has been sitting on a shelf for a year, under fluorescent light will be weak. I buy nothing but Izorline for mono and PowerPro for braid. My supplier is a little mom and shop. All of his line is stored in the dark.

C
colbypearson
without looking at the list my favorites are listed below.....

best flourocarbon: Seaguar all of its good but if you can afford the higher seaguar flouros i would go with them, the red label is 12$ some of the cheapest flouro around its great too..

co-polymer: tie between manageability of flouroclear by p-line, and p-line CXX for the strength

mono: i dont fish too much mono but the trilene is alright for the price, actually that spiderwire XXX mono is good stuff too the biggest freshwater fish i ever caught was on that 6lb i landed a big catfish 25+lbs in a private pond in cali, i wasn't expecting that one! :D

N
Ntofishing
colbypearson said:
... that spiderwire XXX mono is good stuff too the biggest freshwater fish i ever caught was on that 6lb i landed a big catfish 25+lbs in a private pond in cali, i wasn't expecting that one! :D

I agree. That Spiderwire mono sure seems a lot stronger than what it is rated to. I use that when I fish Klamath because of all the hangups and big fish.

BTW 25 lbs of Cat probably took you for quite the ride. LOL!! I bet it took a while to finally land him.

C
colbypearson
Ntofishing said:
I agree. That Spiderwire mono sure seems a lot stronger than what it is rated to. I use that when I fish Klamath because of all the hangups and big fish.

BTW 25 lbs of Cat probably took you for quite the ride. LOL!! I bet it took a while to finally land him.

ya it did on a 7' medium action spinning rod, i was visiting my dad and his buddy has a private pond in the sacramento area i caught plenty of cats over 15lbs that day!! pretty fun stuff

C
capblack
i would stay away from fluoro , and braid for kokes especially if you plan on setting the hook on them soft lipped bad boys. theres no stretch in the line. any good mono will do fine. expensive rods, lines, and flashy reels dont catch the fish. good luck and have fun. gp is my favorite lake, especially during koke season