Ever seen a Cranebow?

B
BaldTexan
I was eager to get back out to Crane Prairie for opening day. Weather forecast was iffy but typical Oregon. i won't go into the details of our adventure getting to the lake but it involved a "shortcut"! :lol: and also why you don't see the outboard on the boat. We managed to arrive before dark and got to our cabin and made sure we were geared up for the morning. We woke up to this -
IMG_3913.JPG

Waited for it to warm a bit and headed down to the ramp as the sun made an appearance. We slid the boat in and I parked the truck and as I walked back to the boat, I could see my buddy leaned over the outboard with the lid off :( The recoil spring on the pull start had popped out of the stop. looked around and came up with a small diameter rope we could manage to wrap around the flywheel enough to give it some good pulls. 4 bazillion hand wraps and pulls later we were in business! Motored over to a fishy looking spot and no sooner than we had a couple of fish on, snow and wind kicked up! Snow 30 minutes, sun 30 minutes, etc. all day.
IMG_3914.JPG

The fish were scattered in the flooded trees. We'd catch one or two almost immediately when we would get to a spot, move spots, catch a fish or two, move spots and so on.

Sunday was much better weather and with our outboard starting issue temporarily resolved, we headed back out to one of our favorite spots and I looked up and saw my first Crane Prairie Cranebow :)

IMG_3918.JPG

My first cast was hammered by a big ol' fat hawg rainbow and it was on! Good tug of war directing and trying to pull it from snags and finally it launched and gave us a good view of a why we like fishing at Crane prairie!...then it re-entered the water a dove straight down into a snag and pop! Dangit! I guess that's how they get big instead of cooked. Had 2 more just like it on with the exact same result. Next time i will have 10 lb. leaders when I return.

We did manage 13 keepers to take home for culinary delights. Caught a lot of non-clipped rainbows of which you are only allowed to keep 1 per day. Sorry about the lack of fish pics but I forget as I'm trying to get my line back in the water as fast as I can! We had wagers. :)

Here's one of our Sunday stringer as we were leaving. I'll be back!
FullSizeRender.jpg

E
eugene1
Good trip but it looks cold!

B
BaldTexan
eugene1 said:
Good trip but it looks cold!

Saturday's weather wasn't exactly ideal. lol

troutdude
troutdude
Flying Cranebow's? LOL

Nice feesh, and great story. Well done. (and I bet the fish were too...)

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
My second favorite lake and I have seen 20lb Crainebows cruising the channel, lots of huge fish use your fish finder you will mark bigguns!

B
BaldTexan
So many shiny rainbows that they made a halo around the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk