Eugene Steelhead

R
ryandanielson
I am relatively new to fishing in the eugene area, and I was wondering if the willamette or mackenzie had any type of steelhead fishing this time of year. Thanks

T
Thuggin4Life
I would wait for some fresh summers and head towards the coast for winters but thats my opinion.

G
GDBrown
Thuggin4Life said:
I would wait for some fresh summers and head towards the coast for winters but thats my opinion.

:shock:You always seem to have an Opinion!!:lol:

Mine don't count so I won't OFFer it. But I'm sure there will be plenty of OFFers to come.

Welcome to the fun,

GD

T
Thuggin4Life
GDBrown said:
:shock:You always seem to have an Opinion!!:lol:

Mine don't count so I won't OFFer it. But I'm sure there will be plenty of OFFers to come.

Welcome to the fun,

GD

I can't help myself. Good thing I didn't get on here last night! Nice meeting you thinking I should have followed you the other morning.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

ryandanielson said:
I am relatively new to fishing in the eugene area, and I was wondering if the willamette or mackenzie had any type of steelhead fishing this time of year. Thanks

Nice to have you on board, as far as fish in the Willy and Mac this time of year; the answer is: YES. Now that being said doesn't mean you or I will catch one of them, but they are there. The rule of thumb is wait for two days with out rain and the rivers and creeks should be down to perfect flows and the water will be a nice color. A pretty good place and easy access is Alton Baker Park, across from EWEB...where the water flows into the Willy from the Park..
Tight lines and be safe around the water.

Chuck

S
schroegp
Good meeting you on the Kilchis the other morning GD! Didn't have any luck, but had a beautiful drift.

J
JeannaJigs
There are "summer" steelhead in the Mac and Willamette all year. Now that said...The Siuslaw has some big burly winter steelhead in it. As does Lake creek (trib of the 'slaw). If you asked me where I would get my line wet, I'd toss it in the Siuslaw right now. That's my two cents

P
plumb2fish
As has already been said the siuslaw / lake creek are relatively close and would be a good get for winters that you can keep. Alsea and Siletz are also good fisheries with in a couple hrs north. Umpqua, Ten Mile Creek,
East and West Millicoma, And South Coos are with in 2.5 hrs to the south. All of these have hatchery fish in them. The smaller streams that I didn't list both north and south, in the same range, may get an occasional stray hatchery fish but most contain decent runs of nates if you just want something to pull on your line. The "summer run" steelies start showing locally(McKenzie, Willamette) as early as March, with more catchable numbers by the end of April through November. As was stated there are fish to be had all year but they are few and far between in the "off" season. Good Luck And WELCOME.