Eugene/Springfield area! Had any luck this week?

X
xltom
I've been skunked all week! Today I fished the canal in leahburg and also the lake and no bites. Has any one had any luck around eugene/springfield this week? I'm looking for some bank fishing this weekend. Please don't be ashamed to tell me about the bass you nailed this week either....I aint picky!....Thanks...Tom

X
xltom
Ok, while I wait I'll give you my theory on why I'm not getting bites on spinners this week. I've been seeing tons of large moths drop down on the water's surface. I don't know if they are drinking or laying eggs but there are so many that the trout must be having a feast....I see a lot of surface strikes late in the evening so I know the fish are still around.......just a theory, I don't know a lot....

T
Thuggin4Life
The fishing drops of when it starts getting cold but thats my opinion. Got a few cutts on the mac a few weeks back. Might try to make one more sab at it but this time of year my mind ventures of towards the coast and then down south.

X
xltom
Save some for the rest of us buddy....Guess I need a boat. Hey, your thread says you were trolling worms. Were they nightcrawlers or plastic? Were you using flashers(as if I know what they are)? Thanks for the reply...

C
curlyDave
Some luck....twice caught Steelie

Some luck....twice caught Steelie

There are a few slightly dark fish in the system since the rain...I would hit the tailouts with light line..

X
xltom
What? Tailouts? Dark fish? Light line?

C
curlyDave
Twice caught Steelie

Twice caught Steelie

Had a bit of luck today above the bridges by Dorris Ranch...Its obiously a winter fish..I first hooked him about 3:30 and he broke off with my leader...An hour later I had a really bright but small steelie hit my spinner and spit it before I even realized the fish I was watching tail dance had my line in tow.......Then about 6:00 I got slammed by a strong 27" fish.. And retrieved my gear from my previous hook up. One in the side of the mouth and one in the bottom..If you look close in the pic you can see it.

B
bd2cool
nightcrawlers
I use both flasher and just a plain nightcrawler.
If I see a lot of surface action going on I will start with a worm.
Or if I not getting any hits I will switch to flasher.
I will keep trying rigs until I find out what they want.

Lately just a plain worm,no weight, about 45 to 55 feet behind the boat.

X
xltom
Thanks guys,
That's really cool that you got your gear back! That fish had a learning disability. Sorry I didn't understand whatyou were saying. TTFISHON put me on my first trout ever a few weeks ago. Now I can't get enough(or any at all). I will try a rig I saw on one of troutski's replies tomorrow. Barrel weight bouncing pulling a worm. My first impression of powerbait was not a good one. Bunch a goop. Barely floats...

X
xltom
I'm not seeing your pic. Where is it?

M
mlw
xltom said:
Ok, while I wait I'll give you my theory on why I'm not getting bites on spinners this week. I've been seeing tons of large moths drop down on the water's surface. I don't know if they are drinking or laying eggs but there are so many that the trout must be having a feast....I see a lot of surface strikes late in the evening so I know the fish are still around.......just a theory, I don't know a lot....

Those are October Caddis, good time to be flyfishing.
They are laying eggs.
Michael

X
xltom
MLW,
How bout 1 reputation point for being observant. I don't know what a neophyte is but it sounds bad. I searched "diving moths oregon" and came up with nothing.....

X
xltom
I just looked up caddis and while I did see a few of those today, they are not the moths I was talking about(or moths at all). I was really suprised to see moths splash down on the water so easily. I would think that if they aren't precise they must become waterlogged and unable to fly given the nature of their powdery wings...They are bigger than the caddis flies and make three or four splashes in a row.....

X
xltom
I caught 2 and missed 2 at Alton Baker today. Only fished for about an hour. When I pulled up I thought I must be in the wrong place. Tiny shallow little canal, but after a little exploring, I found a couple nice spots to throw a panther......I'm glad to be unskunked. I bought a new rod and reel a week ago and I was beginning to think it was cursed......

T
TTFishon
Another good spot to go to this time of year is the Mac at 42nd and Marcola Rd.

Reactions: xltom
X
xltom
TT,
Thanks, I live around 42nd and main. I've got a full day of classes tomorrow but I'll probably check it out tuesday morning.

This guy(TTfishon) has by far, put me on the most fish of anyone here. Can't thank him enough.....

T
TTFishon
xltom said:
TT,
Thanks, I live around 42nd and main. I've got a full day of classes tomorrow but I'll probably check it out tuesday morning.

This guy(TTfishon) has by far, put me on the most fish of anyone here. Can't thank him enough.....

Thanks Dude, I appreciate your thankfulness.

X
xltom
I couldn't wait for the morning so I scouted the mac around the bridge after school. Unfortunately the access paths are too steep for my dog in most places. I was able to get down at the boat ramp and one spot directly across from there. I caught a bait sized trout but I think a spinner was not the best way to fish it. If I have to stay in one spot I think bait would work better in the long run. How many times can you throw a lure in the same spot?

I have a couple questions about trout fishing. Maybe you could answer them for me.

First, what is the best way to handle them without killing them? I haven't killed one yet but two were slow to revive. I tried to take pictures holding the fish up by the hook so I can dip the fish back in if it's taking too long. Several times the fish shook the hook at this moment and hit the ground rather hard. I considered grabbing the lower lip like a bass but it looked to flimsy. When I tried holding the fish by the body, they always end up in the dirt...makes for bad photos...

Second, what is the law for where your weight must be rigged? I would prefer a basic bottom finder rig to keep the bait of the bottom. This rig has weight at the end of the line and one or two hooks 10 or so inches up from there. I tried the rig people were using at leahburg lake(sliding weight 20" up the line and one hook at the end of the line) but the powerbait was barely enough to float a tiny hook. In any current the bait is pulled to the bottom. Seems like a bad system...

Thanks guys...

C
curlyDave
IF you seeing moths on the surface, the answer should be easy..throw a moth pattern or model you spinner after the moth..I like a black body glitter bell bluefox copper blade..large fish=large spinner small fish=small spinner dark green body may work well also

T
Thuggin4Life
Careful Below the bridge I'm pretty sure its no bait allowed. I used to fish at the boat ramp. You can walk down river along a little trail to get to a spot below some stairs. Used to be a good spot. Would throw lures for a hour or so swithing it up every so often. Also try giong up from the boat ramp neer the bridge. You can climb under the bridge and fish up river from the staion thing there but don't think you dog would make it. Try parking behind the store and walking towards the bridge. There is a trail before you cross the road that you dog could dget down. hen you can fish the swimming hole or go up river. If you go up river there is some current you can fish or you can walk up past the house if you don't mind getting wet and fish a few nice spots. Caught a few nice cutts up there a month ago but I took my waders. You could also park at the nw corner of hayden and 42nd and walk down the gravel road to the wooden bridge you can see from the overpass that goes over the slough. Used to be a lot of bluegill in the slough. There used to be some trails before the bridge to get to the river. After you cross the bridge there is a trail to your right that takes you to the river were the slough hits the river or you can follow the gravel road down to were you can see the river from the freeway. You could also park at the west bound on ramp neer the water tank things and cross 42nd and the bikepath to the gravel road for a shorter walk. As for pictures leave them on the bank in the grass or the rocks if you aren't taking them home to take a good quick pic and send them back out quickly.