Eugene/Springfield area fly fishing

W
wrestlerstud32
I'm a student at the U of O (go ducks) and I plan on hitting the surrounding rivers and streams hard for trout this fall and later in the year during the spring and summer time. I grew up fishing the McKenzie above Leaburg so I know that whole stretch pretty well and what it has to offer. I've been doing research and looking at maps of the area and the areas that I want to check out so far include: Mohawk River (along with Shotgun creek), Row River, Willamette River (in town spots, whatever fork runs through Oakridge), Fall Creek, and Little Fall Creek. I've also been very curious with the Walterville and Leaburg canals.

Are there any other bodies of water that produce fairly well? Where would be some good spots on these rivers and streams during September-November? What fly patterns should I use. I have waders and I have a pretty stellar roll cast so accessibility isn't really a big issue. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!

M
mezzfin
North Fork & Middle Fork of the Willamette are both good stretches of water. Head up to Westfir on Rt 58 where the two join. Fish the Middle Fork up to the dam and fish the North as far up as you care! The basic patterns all fish - North Fork is a smaller stream as you head upriver, Middle is a bit more water.

F
fishpro123
wrestlerstud32 said:
I'm a student at the U of O (go ducks) and I plan on hitting the surrounding rivers and streams hard for trout this fall and later in the year during the spring and summer time. I grew up fishing the McKenzie above Leaburg so I know that whole stretch pretty well and what it has to offer. I've been doing research and looking at maps of the area and the areas that I want to check out so far include: Mohawk River (along with Shotgun creek), Row River, Willamette River (in town spots, whatever fork runs through Oakridge), Fall Creek, and Little Fall Creek. I've also been very curious with the Walterville and Leaburg canals.

Are there any other bodies of water that produce fairly well? Where would be some good spots on these rivers and streams during September-November? What fly patterns should I use. I have waders and I have a pretty stellar roll cast so accessibility isn't really a big issue. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!

The Mckenzie around Armitage Park and Middle Willy around Jasper have worked for me.

E
eugene1
Walk behind the UofO property and hit the Willamette!

Lots of good water there that hold trout and also Summer steel. You can check the willamette falls fish count to see when to target the steel.

Knickerbocker bridge down to the coburg road bridge has some nice water. Go over the Eug's real sister town, Springfield, and try the Willy over there.

We pulled a lot of trout out of those areas while targeting summer steelies. This was mostly with diver and bait, but also on a buddy's fly gear.

Good luck & go ducks,

T
troutbum123
I have put in many days on the water by campus, it has produced a lot of nice fish for me. all caught with the fly rod, summer time I would suggest a big October caddis trailed by a #14 elk hair, they also love leech patterns all year.. good luck man, if you want I fish that section quite often p.m. me and I can show you some of the runs I enjoy...tight lines.

E
eugene1
troutbum, welcome to the forum, you should stick around.

Best,

troutbum123 said:
I have put in many days on the water by campus, it has produced a lot of nice fish for me. all caught with the fly rod, summer time I would suggest a big October caddis trailed by a #14 elk hair, they also love leech patterns all year.. good luck man, if you want I fish that section quite often p.m. me and I can show you some of the runs I enjoy...tight lines.