Eugene area and what flies?

R
rum runner
is there a good place close to eugene to catch them and also what flies do people use for them? every pic on here has no flies i must know! i just got my first fly set up and want to go i had one chase down a pink yarny i tied for steelhead but said no at the last min. out on the fern ridg ponds but i want commitment next time.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
brandon4455
brandon4455
ive done a lot of reading on it lately. seems carp carrots,soft hackles in various colors,buggers in olive,burnt orange etc and rubber legs seem to work too. i havent done much carp fishing but this is what i have read

R
rum runner
kinda what iv been readn up on over the last few min since i poasted this lol but thanks and do you know any places to go near eugene and would you like to go out and give it a shot some time?

J
john montana
Think forage. Whatever imitates their main forage should get the job done. For me on the Columbia and Willamette that is mostly clams (I use san Juan worms, looks like the extended door of a clam) various nymphs (my standard soft hackle...basic nymphy looking bug) and sometimes small crayfish. I have never fished around Eugene, but I would default to a soft hackle in a basic size (8 or 10), or maybe a damselfly nymph. The rubber legged hares ear is usually a good bet too.

The most important thing is finding feeding fish. Don't waste time on sunning fish, look for slow cruisers (moving slowly, casting from side to side looking for food) or outright tailing with the head down and tail up in the air. Finding positive fish makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck man!

Some flies:
c22063a5.jpg

If you can find this, you are set.
59252def.jpg

T
TTFishon
Here's a few places for you to try. Delta Ponds, Amazon Slough, Golden Garden Ponds, Kirk Park Ponds below Fern Ridge Res, Coyote Cr on the NE side of Kirk Pond, and the Long Tom River (you can sight fish them fairly easy right below the dam).

R
rum runner
i was at the ponds at fern ridg today had a turn on a yarny for steelhead just playn with my new gear not expecting it but no joy... thanks for the info i will deff. be out this weekend trying my luck! maby i can get a new friend to go with:pray:

brandon4455
brandon4455
are you talking about the ponds across the street from fern ride??

R
rum runner
yep the ones across the street from the dam. kirk park ponds i guess is what there called and the golden garden ponds are a GO. went on a recon today and my dog tried to catch a carp feeding on the side of the pond and saw about 10 of them in a big group tailing feeding w,e but i will be out there tomorrow!

Last edited:
R
rum runner
saw probly 100 pluss carp at the golden garden ponds tailing and chilln on the surface and in the shallows spawning i guess how they were in the weeds and mud splashing around but i couldnt evan get them to take a night crawler let alone flys and there were plenty of 15 pluss pounders less then 5 feet from me i think im going back with a bow later tonight to thin the herd with my girl friend

T
TTFishon
rum runner said:
saw probly 100 pluss carp at the golden garden ponds tailing and chilln on the surface and in the shallows spawning i guess how they were in the weeds and mud splashing around but i couldnt evan get them to take a night crawler let alone flys and there were plenty of 15 pluss pounders less then 5 feet from me i think im going back with a bow later tonight to thin the herd with my girl friend

Please don't leave them lay on the bank to rot. Or in the water for that matter. I think it would be funner to snag them on your pole. Yes, I said snag. It's perfectly legal to snag carp.

R
rum runner
i wont, dont worry about that im not one of them people... they will be chopped up for crab bait :cool:

C
cowboysfan
does anyone eat carp? they never looked to appetizing to me. Would be a blast to catch one of those pigs

R
rum runner
i think there is Asian dishes for them lol and i have heard of people doing it but they dont seam very apealing to me being a giant gold fish and all but they are a blast to catch when you can get them to take your hook just need to find them in a place where people dont pound on them to hard

J
john montana
Snagging may be legal, but it isn't ethical. They will take a fly or bait, so catch them fair.

One cannot underestimate the importance of finding positive carp. Sunning fish are poor targets, so are spawning fish. If you saw single fish away from the spawners with the tails up and noses down, those are the ones you want to target. Ignore all the others. A good rule of thumb during the spawn...a single fish is likely looking for food. A pair "might" eat but three or more are pointless.

Go find those singles and put a hares ear right on their nose! They will eat it man.

Reactions: Grifter
T
TTFishon
john montana said:
Snagging may be legal, but it isn't ethical. They will take a fly or bait, so catch them fair.

One cannot underestimate the importance of finding positive carp. Sunning fish are poor targets, so are spawning fish. If you saw single fish away from the spawners with the tails up and noses down, those are the ones you want to target. Ignore all the others. A good rule of thumb during the spawn...a single fish is likely looking for food. A pair "might" eat but three or more are pointless.

Go find those singles and put a hares ear right on their nose! They will eat it man.

Can't be any worse than shooting them with a bow. At least if you snag them you can let it go to live and learn. With a bow there's no going back unless you get them through the meat and miss their vital organs.

Last edited:
J
john montana
Shooting them with a bow isn't my favorite either. It certainly isn't fishing, but if a guy is going to kill the fish and use it so be it. Everyone has to draw their own line.

R
rum runner
i am a very ethical fisher man i never take wiald fish out of the water let alone touching them with a net when it comes to trout and salmon, i will never ever snag fish carp,salmon,any thing i think that stupid rip in to a fish just to let it go???? no way ill shoot carp with a bow and use it for crab bait any day there is more then enough of them to shoot a couple and it wont hurt any thing the only thing eating them are eagles osprey and otters they are no where near threatened so i see no problem in it i thin all the crying about killing them and talking smack is lame so stop doing it.

J
john montana
I am not talking "smack" nor am I "crying" and I have no problem with killing carp if they are being used for something. I do have issue with wanton waste, but as long as a guy isn't throwing them on the bank to rot and wreck someone else's day I say have at it. But I don't condisdering shooting fish with a bow "fishing." Just my opinion. Sounds like you and I agree on most points.

Glad to hear you are anti snagging.

T
TTFishon
Just for the record I could care less if people snag carp. I did it a lot when I was a kid and it was fun. I haven't snagged a carp since though. I thought maybe the OP might enjoy it too since he's willing to shoot them with a bow.

T
Thejigmaster