Equipment for plunking

2PawsRiver
We will be in the Portland area for two day, until we do the Sturgeon Charter and am thinking about "Plunking" from the bank on the Willamette and Columbia........checked out the thread on plunking, seems pretty straight forward, however 8 ounces of weight, can honestly say I have never pitched 8 ounces of weight.........is that pretty accurate, 8 ounces of weight.

Couple questions, generally speaking how far out are you generally having to cast and what gear are you using, something along the lines of a surf casting set up......I know none of us own nothing to cast 8 ounces with and will be checking ebay and the for sale sections......just looking for a little guidance on what to look for.

B
Big3d
I use 6 to 8 oz on summer flow, so yeah, I'd say 8 to 10 in these waters. Most people seem to have surfcasting gear, I use a 10 ft med heavy bigwater spinning pole. Best of luck!

A
Aton
Mimic your bank neighbors. That way your line won't drift into somebody else's rigging. Hauling in a 7-8 lb. steelhead really isn't all that much fun with a 12ft. surf rod...but it sure helps to chuck a 6-10 oz. pyramid weight out there.

A
Aton
Surf rods can be had new plenty cheap. $50.00 give or take. You don't need sensitivity for plunking. Plus...someday...you might find yourself wanting to fish the surf...and you'll be glad you own it.

F
fish4life
If you are fishing the Willamette you won't need to cast very far especially when the water is high and muddy. The Steelhead follow close to the bank. I have done it at Meldrum bar with a salmon rod using 10oz perimids by using an underhand lob to get it out there. I fish spin glos with a prawn tail and have had fair success but this was quite a few years back when more fish use to head up to Eagle Creek. If you do decide to get a surf rod it would also work well for sturgeon off of the bank or off the West Linn dock.

2PawsRiver
Thank you for the information......we will be arriving April 24th and will also be looking to bank fish for Sturgeon as well as Springers......any recommendations on where to pick up the gear when we get there.......will most likely order in advance as there will be 7 of us buying rigs.

T
Toyracer38
Fisherman's Marine Supply, Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabela's, to name a few of the bigger stores around the Portland area.

S
slimyguts
Olie Damons right in down town Portland. And army surplus called andy and bax used to be right there also.

2PawsRiver
slimyguts said:
Olie Damons right in down town Portland. And army surplus called andy and bax used to be right there also.

Talked with Doug today, seems like a pretty good guy......I would imagine we could do better at cabela's or the big name stores, but we really try to do business with the local guys on out trips.....he's going to see what comes in as used equipment over the next few months......thanks for the lead.

2PawsRiver
Will check for used equipment here, when my post count allows.