Epoxy mixer?

G
GDBrown
For those of you who have build custom rods what do YOU use to mix your epoxy? I have been thinking of getting one of these but I not sure if I really need to if there is another good way to get bubble free epoxy mixed. putting epoxy on the wraps is the last thing I need to do on my 4wt fly rod project.

If anyone has one of these they would be willing to let me borrow please send me a PM with your Phone number so I can discuss it with you.

Thanks,

GD

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I love re-purposing things...what if you took an old reel apart, and securely mount a small tuna can to the center screw thingy,pour in the epoxy mix, add a 1-2 oz. ball weight and slowly turn the handle until mixed? :think: Just might work....:D

C
Combat Chuck
I have not needed the power mixer. I believe I read somewhere that using something metal (tuna can, mint tin) will help the epoxy to burst its own bubbles... so thats what I have always done. Because I also do these projects in the cold garage, I can also hold a lighter under the tin to warm up the epoxy a little and remove some bubbles. Just be sure to spend plenty of time mixing and you will be good.

G
GDBrown
OK, I just realised that this epoxy is probably thinner than the stuff I'm used to using so it may not hold the bubbles as bad. I will try the flame trick and see how I do.

"I love re-purposing things...what if you took an old reel apart, and securely mount a small tuna can to the center screw thingy,pour in the epoxy mix, add a 1-2 oz. ball weight and slowly turn the handle until mixed? Just might work...."

Great idea I'm all for repurposing things so I'll see what I have in the bin. I have a small motor from a microwave but it only turns at 5 or 6 rpm which is too slow for my idea. I use another one that is 45rpm for my drying rack.

Thanks for all the ideas, hopefully I will be posting photos of the finished rod soon.

GD

V
veilside180sx
They are totally unnecessary. As was stated...alcohol burners are good at working out the bubbles in the event you do get any.

R
ryan808
I usually layout foil (flat) and mix the epoxy, but lately been using aluminium cups, either will work. The less bubbles you have when applying the epoxy the less you have to mess with it post application. Also learning from experince, use a flame with alcohol, I use denatured alcohol. Some fuels leave a carbon residue and could dis-color your epoxy.