engine repair recommendations

F
FishFinger
My '64 9.5 is giving me fitz. I just rebuilt the carb and got the low idle to steady out but it's missing badly. I can't get to the pionts, condenser and coil as the fly wheel seems to be frozen solid.

I have the right puller, have used wd40, break free, applied heat to the fly wheel and nothing is working. I can't seem to free it. period.

open to all suggestions and am almost frustrated enough to ask for recommendations for a mechanic.

M
Mike123
Could just be the piston ring in one of the cylinders too.. that's what happened to my motor.

S
skunk
hey, just pulled the flywheel off mine, remember its a tappered fit and when the nut is tightened it pulls it onto the tappered shaft. I really, and I mean really had to crank on the puller to get mine off. I use long bolts through the puller into the threaded holes on the flywheel. Stack an even number of nuts under the puller between it and the flywheel, basically use ones that will slide on the bolts. Then thighten the puller down onto the bolts, this keeps it a bit more steady and allows it to sit off the flywheel. I had my powerhead out and had to have a helper hold it but if its in the outboard you may not need somone to help. then just crank on that bolt that goes down the center of the puller. It'll pop of eventually, also once its tight, try lightly tapping the flywheel with a hammer around the shaft. Let me know if you get it.

O
osmosis
Big ass hammer Dan. Biiig ass hammer.

Step one is to beat the holy crap out of the '64 (not just the fly wheel). Call it anger management and use it as a tax writeoff since it will be more effective than any therapy. Or you could just label it simple amusement cause it will most certainly be that.

Second step is to check craigslist for something less vintage :D, engines aren't generally like bourbon or a fine wine!

F
FishFinger
I'll do a compression test this morning.

B
beaverfan
I would recommend PMing Stream2.5 he's pretty much an expert. Think he run's a shop.

F
FishFinger
Compression test results; 70 lbs in both cylinders

Still believing the problem rests below the flywheel.......... THAT REFUSES TO BUDGE...

I just stripped the threads on my harmonic puller..lol Hardened steel too.

Think I might be needing more heat than a propane torch can create. the drama continues

S
stream2.5
here if you need it.... i have the necessary equipment to remove the flywheel..... and technically 70 lbs is at the minimum of that engines acceptible range... rings are probably stuck with carbon from years of use.

link to my contact info in signature.....

Last edited:
S
stream2.5
beaverfan said:
I would recommend PMing Stream2.5 he's pretty much an expert. Think he run's a shop.

that would be an accurate statement there.

F
FishFinger
Ok, the story can now continue.... I appreciate the info thus far. After allowing the penetration goop a week to do it's thing, I applied some extra heat w/ map gas. I loaded up the puller I did a little heating and beating........... Around the 6th smack the metal rang out as the fly wheel popped off the shaft. Yeehaw.........

The coils look brand new, I used a ohm meter and the wraps are good. The points look to be in fairly good condition and the condensers as well, but I when ahead and ordered a new set.

I did another compression test and do see a lot of carbon build up on the piston head.

Is Sea Foam really a product that can actually remove the carbon build up? and would it be worth adding to the fuel mix ona regular basis?

Top Bottom