Endura 46 seems slow.. help!

S
sleeper119
hey, i just bought a used minn kota 46 lb thrust electric outboard motor. i tested it with my car battery, (not in water though) and it seemed that the reverse turned up to level 3, is faster than forward in 5. i am judging that by sound and visual speed. never had an electric motor, but it seems kinda slow. is that normal?

S
sleeper119
oh, and i opened it up, to see if i needed to clean anything, it had barely any weeds in it. no corrosion in sight. i'm on a budget so i got this thing at a garage sale from an elderly couple for fifty bucks. i'm mainly trying to map out my priorities, before i go all out and spend 200 on a new battery, or maybe i should spend that on getting it fixed? maybe i am just being paranoid? should i test it in a bucket?

T
the_intimidator03
test on a boat... My thought without any personal knowledge to electric trolling motors is that the blade pitch is designed for a forwards motion SO that being said at setting 5 in forwards would require LESS RPM than setting 3 in reverse. I hope you follow what im saying cause i got it perfectly in my head. The prop pitch for reverse isn't ideal at all its set for forwards
I would think you could do a bucket/garbage can test to see how it feels going forwards and reverse in your hands

P.S. Welcome to the forums

S
sleeper119
thanks bro. it kinda makes sense, i guess i won't know till i try. i'll let you know how it goes.

T
the_intimidator03
ill give it another whirl. the blades on the prop are made to twist a certain direction, they are more efficient in one direction vs the other Some are set to turn clockwise or counter clockwise. different pitches as well. the blades will tend to produce forward thrust best so in reverse it will need to spin MORE rpms to provide same thrust as it would to go forwards with less RPMS