Elk Rock Island Milwaukie

H
Herefishyfishy
I was doing some walking on Elk Rock Island and it looks like a good channel for plunking on the west side. Has any of you ever fished there or have any info about it? Seems like it would be a good sturgeon or even springer spot.

troutdude
troutdude
Sorry, I'm no help with that area.

I just had to say that I really like your user I.D. !!!:cool::cool::cool:

C
c_chickens
yeah its a pretty good hole 4 sturgeon! the north side i would say would be better 4 springers its really deep on the west side! ive seen them caught back in the east side when the water was low! it was caught on a 3inch senko worm! the mouth of the j.c. has some sturgeon holdn out there!

H
Herefishyfishy
Thanks, yeah I went out there for sturgeon on saturday. I had a few bites but wasn't able to land anything. The bullheads are a real pain in the a**! I will check out the N. end for springers until they start runnin in the Clackamas or until I get my boat ready.

C
c_chickens
caught my 1st small mouth yesterday! caught it right off the spawning bed! nightcrawler (almost a whole one) an about 2 feet of liter! water temp is about 50! so its still pretty slow!

T
The Nothing
there's always guys fishing from the island, and one group is probably one of the biggest group of @$$#*!# bankies i've ever known.

N
n8r1
Herefishyfishy said:
I was doing some walking on Elk Rock Island and it looks like a good channel for plunking on the west side. Has any of you ever fished there or have any info about it? Seems like it would be a good sturgeon or even springer spot.

How did you get to the island in March? Canoe or boat? I thought that you couldn't cross over until later in the summer when the water levels are a little lower.

B
beaverfan
I think he was there during our long dry stretch with really low water levels. The water levels on many streams/rivers were approaching summertime levels. I would imagine he still had to do a little wading but nothing serious.

H
Herefishyfishy
I walked right to it. I was a little suprised to see how low the water was. Might be a different story today!

N
n8r1
Herefishyfishy said:
I walked right to it. I was a little suprised to see how low the water was. Might be a different story today!

Good to know! Since every river in the NW is going to be blown out tomorrow, I was going to do a little exploring for good places where a boat deprived person like myself could go. I was going to stop by the Meldrum Bar tomorrow and just check things out, I'll swing by and check out Elk Rock Island while I'm at it.

Here's an interesting tidbit of information I just found out about Elk Rock:

Directly opposite the island you'll see the high, rocky cliff called Elk Rock where indigenous American Indian hunters once drove game animals over the edge and collected the carcasses at the bottom much like neolithic hunters in Europe.

Maybe I'll do some hunting while I'm there as well ;)

H
Herefishyfishy
Actually it was like it was the middle of August. There was no water at all except in some small pools. I've been walking around on there since I was a kid (only been fishing less than a year) and it was as accessible as I've ever seen it.

C
c_chickens
yeah the water was really low! late april mid may u will have 2 wade across! my buddy an i waded through chest deep water! an it was well worth it! last year i didn't catch any smallies till late april then the snow melt kinda slowed everything down!

S
SpencerWatts
yea i could see y u caught one on a worm. try using a dry creek tube.... (green with orange flakes) thats wat all us bass masters use during these times of the year. shove a 1/4 ounce jig head up there. and make sure u get the 3 1/2 in tube

C
c_chickens
had pretty good luck down in salem! using a 3inch fat baby craw! green pumpkin w/black flake! it was like every cast! the average fish caught was 12inches! a lil over 19 was the biggest! went down 2 elk rock tossed out a couple of times got 1 bite missed it! senko worm watermelon w/ black flake!

S
SpencerWatts
c_chickens said:
had pretty good luck down in salem! using a 3inch fat baby craw! green pumpkin w/black flake! it was like every cast! the average fish caught was 12inches! a lil over 19 was the biggest! went down 2 elk rock tossed out a couple of times got 1 bite missed it! senko worm watermelon w/ black flake!

yea the black flake seems to work pretty good with the really "clear" Willamette water (super green) but i highly suggest the green tube with orange flakes. i'm sponsored by cry creek so i kinda praise them... plus that's what all my competitors use!

C
c_chickens
what size? i have some 3inch tube brown with black flake! it seems like i have only caught 1 on an orange senko! i have a gold an pearl 3inch senko an in early march i was catchn bull-heads on the plastic worm! Q? was i working it 2 slow? or was i not deep enough?

S
SpencerWatts
sometimes they hit anything and everything. what depth where u in abouts when the bullhead hit? and try the 3 1/2 inch dry creek tube green with orange flake. i can mail u a pack if u'd like. i get them for free.

C
c_chickens
i just went out an pickd some up! i was about 18ft some where around there! i fish my senko with no weight! 1/0 hook! off set! caught 4 yesterday! showed some kid how 2 use it an he caught his first smallie ever! it was about 14inchs! not bad for the kids first smallie! what color jig head do u throw with that tube?

S
SpencerWatts
c_chickens said:
what color jig head do u throw with that tube?

well right now the bass are starting to move up as the water gets warmer and the males start making nests for eggs... so i'd try fishing the tubes from 15 to 4 ft of water. some of the females have been laying in flats in less that 2 ft of water. which boggles me cuz y the heck would they be there. lol ill post pics of how to use the tube for rock shelves and bumpin off rock. i use 1/4 ounce to 1/8 ounce jig head. sit tight and ill post pics. oh and BTW nice job on teachin that person to fish senko annnddd catch there first small mouth!!! its always a good feeling to spread the adrenaline and fun u can have fishing!!!!!!!!

S
SpencerWatts
how the heck do u post pics?? lol its being WAY weird!