Elk Rock Island is on fire!

G
Ghostsniper_cms
The big catfish are hungry right now, as well the sturgeon. Caught a 3-4 ft in probably 20ft of water.
catfish was probably 6lbs. Both on worms!
the bass are small this year off elkrock.

F471CCB4-9E27-453A-B1DC-207AFAA9754B.jpeg

E004BCE7-E3E4-4E43-83DB-220EED85C1B2.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: Raincatcher, reid, Admin and 1 other person
bass
bass
Nice fish! I love it when I catch a channel cat in the Willamette since they are definitely a rarer catch. Good job!

Reactions: Ghostsniper_cms
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
đź‘Ť

D
Don Fischer
Where is Elk Rock?

G
Ghostsniper_cms
Don Fischer said:
Where is Elk Rock?
16th and sparrow in milwaukie O.R.

Reactions: Don Fischer
00Swede
00Swede
Everything loves them worms. You never know what you might pull up. (y)

G
Ghostsniper_cms
I guess I started this, I better keep it up to date. So here it is, worms, sturgeon candy squid, live sand shrimp, worms, 20lb line (green)and 2oz sinkers!!
This is what you need to have a good time.
Next post will be this weekend when I real the big ones in. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

17F514AD-FEF8-4D9D-AC4A-DB7A6461485D.jpeg

Reactions: Admin
bass
bass
Just make sure you mash down the barbs on the hooks. A warden is going to look at that and definitely say you are sturgeon fishing and it illegal to fish for sturgeon with a barbed hook.

Reactions: Ghostsniper_cms and 00Swede
G
Ghostsniper_cms
bass said:
Just make sure you mash down the barbs on the hooks. A warden is going to look at that and definitely say you are sturgeon fishing and it illegal to fish for sturgeon with a barbed hook.
I always smash the barbs. For all fish. As I do not keep anything I catch.

Reactions: bass, BrandonBeach and Casting Call
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Please read the regulations regarding the proper handling of sturgeon. It could save you $$$$ in fines.

Reactions: BrandonBeach and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
Please read the regulations regarding the proper handling of sturgeon. It could save you $$$$ in fines.

Ditto. Shoving your fingers into it's gills likely just killed that fish. Even though you released it.

Reactions: BrandonBeach and Raincatcher
Admin
Admin
Welcome aboard @Ghostsniper_cms. Congrats on your catch. Keep catching, keep posting photo reports. We love it.

P.S. I might be wrong, but I believe that the Willamette zone regulations for sturgeon are "All sturgeon must be immediately released unharmed into the water". Removing a sturgeon from the water and holding it up that way for a picture definitely violates the "immediately" part of the regulations and mostly likely the "unharmed" part.

Reactions: BrandonBeach and Raincatcher
B
BrandonBeach
Sturgeon are FAR more fragile then most will believe. I have seen far too many floating down the river after a “gentle” release. I haven’t fished sturgeon for many years. Not enough left for me to feel good about fishing for them.

Dont mean to pile on here,
Good luck

BB

Last edited:
S
Snopro
BrandonBeach said:
I have seen far too many floating down the river after a “gentile” release.

I've seen Jewish folks gently release them too. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BrandonBeach and troutdude
Casting Call
Casting Call
In defense of Ghost. I believe that he did not intend to kill the sturgeon. Limited knowledge is not an excuse today. I'll excuse him today but not tomorrow. I too have made mistakes in the past. I have learned a lot from my mistakes in all my fishing years. Let's hope Ghost does. Learning from your mistakes makes you better. Tony

Reactions: troutdude and Raincatcher
bass
bass
troutdude said:
Ditto. Shoving your fingers into it's gills likely just killed that fish. Even though you released it.

If you look closely he is lipping the fish and not touching its gills. I had to zoom in to be sure. I would assume the fish is fine. I have only ever seen one sturgeon floating down the river. I see a lot of pictures of boating folks hoisting up there sturgeon and have never seen a negative comment before.

They are a tough fish but we still must take as much care as possible in handling them and of course follow the regulations.

@Ghostsniper_cms please take all the comments here as constructive criticism and not as personal attack. @Casting Call thanks for making that point. Congrats again on a good day of fishing!

Reactions: Raincatcher, Casting Call, jamisonace and 1 other person
troutdude
troutdude
Even after zooming in; it still looks like fingers are inside of the fish's flared out gills. But if the angler was only lipping the fish, then I OFFer an apology. So thanks for sharing that observation @bass.

Perhaps pulling the fish out of the water is what set our comments into motion, in the first place? I know that it did for me; and for at least 2 other moderators. Leaving a fish in the water--which is legally supposed to be safely released unharmed--would seem to be a better approach to me. You know...like when folks release native salmon and steelhead. Just a thought...

Reactions: Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
Half a century and a decade ago there were no limits to size or quantity. Even back in the thirties three tons of sturgeon would be drawn by six horse wagons into growing fields and cut-up for fertilizer. I have seen 1/2 dozen sturgeon unloaded onto the docks by two fellows back in the day (my bad). Bottom feeders are hard to kill re: catfish, sturgeon, etc. BB must have seen seal belly bitten sturgeon. Also, you can run a stringer rope through the mouth and in FRONT of the gills "flared out". You can take a sturgeon/catfish on a 40-mile truck ride throw it on a cutting table and see it pumping to breathe. Please, guys, know your subject matter. I do. Regards Tony AKA Cali Delta Sturgeon Wisper

Reactions: Raincatcher
B
BrandonBeach
Seriously?

“Also, you can run a stringer rope through the mouth and in FRONT of the gills "flared out".You can take a sturgeon/catfish on a 40-mile truck ride throw it on a cutting table and see it pumping to breathe. Please, guys, know your subject matter. I do. Regards Tony AKA Cali Delta Sturgeon Wisper“

Please don’t confuse dying very slowly with actually surviving, or, surviving unharmed.
I guarantee a sturgeon that has been gill roped and dragged 40 miles In a truck will, indeed die, and die a slow death.

I fished sturgeon for 25 years from the mouth to the Willamette, and yes, I have seen more than a few undersized shakers floating by.

“Please, guys, know your subject matter.”

Thank you very much, but I have lived this subject matter.

BB

Last edited:
Casting Call
Casting Call
BB I have fished for sturgeon TWICE as long as you have! Caught more than you have. Thirty-two in one day. You have restrictions in your years. I had NO limits in my day. Had NO seal attacks. I have dated logs and maps and receipts of multiple yearly berthing at a half a dozen harbors in the Cali San Pablo Bay area. Yes, slow and painful death after being in the bed of a truck for forty miles. MY POINT was after a few moments out of the water for pic's Sturgeon are not as delicate as YOU may think. Ease up guy don't be so B hurt. I didn't call you a liar about floating fish just I noted the possibilities of seals and not all by mishandling. I did say I have made some regrettable mistakes in my day. I was young just like Ghost. If you want my ODFW registered badge number, just ask. Regards Tony