Elk River want to be

B
bythesea
The title of this thread say's it all (except I left out the sixes) as far as I've read&heard is late november is when this fishery takes off.we'll probably drop in at port orford if not able to get out of bandon .. just haven't fished that water I know it's rocky down that way any help or Info is greatly appreciated.serious been there done that fisherman pm me, the rides on me.........Next are the rivers I know it's a drift only fish but,theirs got to be some decent bank fishing somewhere ??? I'll probably go scout it out first but, a push in the right direction would be nice.This forum is all about getting great advice, which I gladly share when ask.we all have are honey holes but it's a long drive from florence so it's not like I can go every day.........hey,Thanks for the advice..shoot me a pm!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tight Lines,

E
eugene1
I've been looking at the ocean bubble fishery there as well. Pretty much like the Chetco, I think?

Running up to the the mouth of the Elk from Port Orford seems like the better bet rather than from Bandon (further).

C_Run
C_Run
I will send you a lengthy PM pretty soon on this.

B
bythesea
Hat's off to the OFF :hi: Thanks I can't wait to run up there and C_ the place

jamisonace
jamisonace
Commercial guys are seeing very few fish at the mouth of the elk. Not boding well for a strong run.

E
eugene1
jamisonace said:
Commercial guys are seeing very few fish at the mouth of the elk. Not boding well for a strong run.

Seems a bit early for many fish to be staging there?

If it's similar to the Chetco (and I think it should be), there will be plenty of fish.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Commercial boats start fishing it 10/15, they don't show up before the fish should be there. Fish should be thick out there right now. Don't expect a banner year.

C
CoastieFlo
Of course when they average 40lbs, you only need one..lol :D

jamisonace
jamisonace
True. If they did. They have some big fish but the average isn't any different than any other Oregon river with fall salmon.

If you want fish this year and you don't know the area, hire a good guide. John Gross lives in Port Orford this time of year and is one of the best. www oregonfishingtrips.com

N
Native Fisher
I think the majority of people were late this year, the fish while still entering now, started a month earlier then usual.

C_Run
C_Run
I was just there this week so I'll give a report as of two days ago. Elk- low, clear, ghost town. Sixes- parking lot. Needs more rain. I did see something that cracked me up when I was scouting up Elk.

9HfSaGx.jpg

A perfectly good bunch of 5 Chiquita bananas in the water. Can you imagine the scenario that led to this? Hint...it was downstream from the boat launch. I should have kept them but I didn't.

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
C_Run said:
I was just there this week so I'll give a report as of two days ago. Elk- low, clear, ghost town. Sixes- parking lot. Needs more rain. I did see something that cracked me up when I was scouting up Elk.

9HfSaGx.jpg

A perfectly good bunch of 5 Chiquita bananas in the water. Can you imagine the scenario that led to this? Hint...it was downstream from the boat launch. I should have kept them but I didn't.

LOL.

that water sure looks clear! hope a bit of rain comes and gets the season going.

C
ChezJfrey
C_Run said:

That is freakin' hilarious. You can only imagine the h.e.double hockey sticks the person that brought those caught and was forced to ditch them. What a scene that probably was for the poor, unsuspecting soul unaware of the crazy superstitions and the lengths some will go to for them, LOL

J
JeannaJigs
That's pure awesome right there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

C_Run
C_Run
My information source has informed me that the counts at the hatchery are still low but has included coho and 3 chum :yikes:

I know they opened the trap on the 1st.

B
bythesea
C_Run said:
My information source has informed me that the counts at the hatchery are still low but has included coho and 3 chum :yikes:

I know they opened the trap on the 1st.

well we've gotten a little rain since then ... I was thinking about going up and checking a few places maybe wednesday that a little bird told me about. Do you think it's to early??????? I guess I could check the river levels.

C_Run
C_Run
bythesea said:
well we've gotten a little rain since then ... I was thinking about going up and checking a few places maybe wednesday that a little bird told me about. Do you think it's to early??????? I guess I could check the river levels.

NOAA projections show a moderate rise now on Chetco and S. Coquille where they have guages. They should drop in a few days. Go! Fish down low if you don't find 'em upstream.