Elk Creek

T
tbox
My Folks have some property on Elk Creek outside of a town called Yoncalla in Douglas County. I dont expect anyone to know exactly where this is, but they live just east of I-5 about 30 minutes away from Elkton where Elk Creek meets up with the Umpqua.
I have fished this creek since I was 14 c&r'ing some pretty large native cutts.

I got a call from my folks saying that their neighbor was looking down off the bridge and saw something very large swimming away. He was thinking either a steelhead or a spring chinook!? My parents have seen spawned out fall salmon swimming by but never a springer. Am I missing something here? Is it even possible that there is a run coming back that far from the Umpqua? Should I get into gear and try to throw something at em?

K
Kodiak
Never

Never

Never miss a chance to do battle with monster fish in little water...whatever it is hook it, and have fun!

T
tbox
Kodiak said:
Never miss a chance to do battle with monster fish in little water...whatever it is hook it, and have fun!

^^Great answer..You're right, theres only one way to find out. :dance:

J
joesnuffy
just make sure to check the regs before you go.

T
tbox
Hmmm. good point, I always figured that I was in the clear cause i was on my dad's property. I will look into that.. If I did pull anything in I'd definitely release it..(Not without a pic of course.)

A
ArcticAmoeba
It should be open to angle right now, maybe no retention of Chinook, or anything, but hey, it would be a fight and a half in a small stream!

T
tbox
Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Its my "childhood" fishing spot. Nobody else fishes it but my dad and my dog. I'll know if im going to catch anything in about 5 minutes and if not I might have to head out towards Elkton. Does anyone know if its bankable out there yet? I'd like to try plunkin on Easter.

M
mlw
Might have been a striped bass - they are in the lower umpqua and get pretty big (use to be they had to be 30" to harvest, think it is 24 now. check regs)
Michael

T
tbox
Well I never got a chance to see or hook anything huge, but the creek is full of these little gems.
IMG_2653.jpg

F
Fishtopher
Beauty! Gott 'er on a spoon to boot!:clap:

T
tbox
thanks...please excuse the GIGANTIC swivel. how embarrasing..

A
ArcticAmoeba
Haha, the big 'ol snap swiv never scared any crazy Cuttthroat! Nice little Cutty. Have not fished that creek much, but if it is a decent trout fishery, it would be fun times in the Summer on a 3 wt. Bamboo smasher!

M
MontanaMoose
Nice Cutt !

Nice Cutt !

I could be wrong but I thought about going and trying Elk Creek, so I checked the regs and I don't see anything in the special regs allowing trout fishing in Elk Creek before May 23rd...again I could be wrong but dang, how much is the fine again?

MontanaMoose

T
tbox
Yup MontanaMoose you are absolutely correct. I forgot to even check. I wasn't supposed to pull anything out but a striper. Just look at my swivel- I was clearly fishing for sturgeon anyways.:confused:

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
tbox said:
Just look at my swivel- I was clearly fishing for sturgeon anyways.:confused:

:lol: Phew!

M
MontanaMoose
Oregon fishing regs...

Oregon fishing regs...

Well tbox, you got me to wondering and where before I was close to guessing you couldn't target
trout in Elk Creek, I thought I'd better have a look
at the regs. You might be surprised if you read pg.
38 and 39 of the Southwest Zone Regs especially regarding not just trout fishing in streams, but striper, salmon, steelhead and sturgeon.

If you have any questions I'm sure someone will explain things to you. I'm not trying to mess you
up but rather help you from getting arrested should you actually tie into a striper, steelhead, salmon or sturgeon up on Elk Creek.

MontanaMoose

tbox said:
Yup MontanaMoose you are absolutely correct. I forgot to even check. I wasn't supposed to pull anything out but a striper. Just look at my swivel- I was clearly fishing for sturgeon anyways.:confused:

M
mlw
Its page 44 in my regs, and I think tbox was smallmouth fishing :D
You almost have to be a lawyer to read the fishing regs - I think a tax return is easier, but I for one can not afford what it costs to be wrong.

Michael

M
MontanaMoose
Special Regs...

Special Regs...

Hello mlw, pg. 44 list special regs...pgs 38 and 39 list general regs for the southwest zone. I was fishing for smallmouth in the mainstem umpqua and was informed that I was fishing illegally and subject to gear confiscation, fine and/or jail time...this at the discretion of the arresting officer...and don't forget, in OR any peace officer, game warden or deputy and maybe even state forest service and who knows, maybe even federal forest service employees can cite someone fishing where they shouldn't be or for a species they shouldn't be.

I'm not a lawyer but I have the douglas county odfw office to ask questions of if I'm in doubt...I just drive over there, open the book and we thrash it out.

As regards smallmouth....pg. 38 under 'warmwater gamefish:' Largemouth and smallmouth bass....states: 'streams-open during trout, salmon or steelhead seasons'...so since as mentioned, Elk Creek is not open for any of those species (or stripers or sturgeon) then it goes that it's illegal to fish for smallmouth up in there too.

I 'spose I'm getting crap for this in many minds out there but hey, fine....at least this way hopefully, one or two will take it positively and come away more informed...first thing the warden told me was not to read the book to suit me...said first read the general section for the zone then unless there are exceptions as noted in the special regs, don't let him catch me fishing for smallies again...or big trouble...

MontanaMoose

P.S.

I can't afford to
be fishing (read poaching)
illegally either.

mlw said:
Its page 44 in my regs, and I think tbox was smallmouth fishing :D
You almost have to be a lawyer to read the fishing regs - I think a tax return is easier, but I for one can not afford what it costs to be wrong.

Michael

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hey, at least you didn't kill any Bass when you sholdn't have, and the regs are so convoluted the officers are going to interpret it differently than most, regular joe anglers, and certainly different from Game Wardens, both federal, and State employed. At least you got it figured out, and know the laws for sure now. Hope it pans out well for you.

T
tbox
First off: Thankyou MontanaMoose for being so kind to look into this for me. I must clarify.
I now know (and did right after my last post) that I was fishing illegally. I was not fishing for sturgeon, smallies, stripers, or even salmon. That was my lame attempt at being funny. If I posted a picture of the creek you guys wouldn't even think it could hold trout!! I could hop over the entire creek in most spots by the time it gets to Yoncalla. Thats why i'd be suprised to see anything large swimming by. MontanaMoose, youre right there shouldn't be any line dropped in that water until 5/23 but I made a mistake.
Again thanks for all the info and time taken to look out for a fellow OFFer.

Now....whos got a pic the illusive Elk Creek Kokanee??