Elk and Sixes??

J
JeannaJigs
Hardly ever see anything posted about these rivers, but I had a patient come in and tell me I absolutely had to fish 'em. Anyone have any advice on either? She fishes both religiously with a fly rod..which kinda blew me away lol, guess I don't think about salmon when I think about fly fishing, but it makes sense. but before I could get more info out of her, I got called into another room, and she had left before I got back.

I was told I should invest in a salmon/steelhead weight fly rod and have a go at it...I'm considering it...any suggestions on weight? all I have is a 5/6.

I don't even know the regs on these rivers, I should probably check that out first..but alas, at work...so regs will have to wait until I get home because the PDF on the ODFW site takes 20 years to load and it's ridiculous to scroll through.

M
Mike123
I watched a Jim Teeny video from the Elk/Sixes... it was absolutely loaded with steelhead! He slayed them... I don't know.. an 8wt? A 7wt. may be not enough rod for salmon...

J
JeannaJigs
yeah, I was looking at an 8 for steelhead...and that's a guaranteed future investment before December, but I dunno about salmon. that's a whole different game. That little 10.5 pound Chinook I got a few weeks ago doubled a steelhead spinning rod right over into a U, I thought it was gonna snap, you woulda thought I had a 40 pound fish on...So i know a sturdy rod is a must...I just don't know what I can get away with....I guess I could get an 8 and see what happens lol.

I really need to fish some different rivers this winter for steelhead...but I know the Siuslaw so well..it's the logical go to easy fix...I hate fishin' new water and not knowing where the fish are lol.

O
osmosis
get a 9 or 10 wt if you're gonna be playing with nooks. I do coho on as a 5 wt in lower water because we all gotta admit, its fun getting your butt whooped up and down the river by a fish every now and then..
8 is fine for steelhead until the water comes up.

J
JeannaJigs
osmosis said:
get a 9 or 10 wt if you're gonna be playing with nooks. I do coho on as a 5 wt in lower water because we all gotta admit, its fun getting your butt whooped up and down the river by a fish every now and then..
8 is fine for steelhead until the water comes up.
Lol it is indeed fun with small gear...I use a tiny little microlight that is like 3.5 feet in length i think for trout fishing sometimes...makes it feel like ya got a steelhead on the other end.

Thanks for the info on weights, I'd be sad if I broke a rod right off the bat because it wasn't heavy enough. Still very very new to the fly rod, but discovered it's very addictive and I was hooked the first time I used it. Don't tell my spinning rod.

M
metalfisher76
JeannaJigs said:
Lol it is indeed fun with small gear...I use a tiny little microlight that is like 3.5 feet in length i think for trout fishing sometimes...makes it feel like ya got a steelhead on the other end.

Thanks for the info on weights, I'd be sad if I broke a rod right off the bat because it wasn't heavy enough. Still very very new to the fly rod, but discovered it's very addictive and I was hooked the first time I used it. Don't tell my spinning rod.

8 is peerrfect for steelies . I`ve been using one for 10 years, it`s all I use. Been broke on nooks but it`s a Lammy. Drove to Woodland, done. My dad JUST bumped up to a 9 and has tried (on fall chinook on the Washougal) to break it. I think when I do get a new one it`ll be a 10wt though, cause the only time it will come out is the nookies. 8=steel 10= nook, for me!

W
willierower
It is really nice if you can find someone who lives over on the coast that can give you conditions. Those rivers go in and out very quickly and most all of the rivers are not easy to fish without a drift boat. They run through mostly private property and a lot of the owners do not want anyone on there land.
Pete

R
Razz
Sixes is CLOSED to salmon may have changed in the last week 10/10/09.Elk is open should see fish around Dec.10th and steelhead mid Jan.Also the salmon take is 2 wild. If you use a drift boat on the Elk the takeout is ONE BIT## to see.:shock:NO OTHER takeout.

H
halibuthitman
if your gonna use a ten weight you might as well get a spey rod, if you have ever cast to kings all day with one you know it can really wear a person out. if you buy an 8 with a good warranty then you have nothing to worrry about. I fish steel with a 6 and have never lost a fish becouse of the rod. if you are really concerned with breaking a rod you can purchase a boron rod which you will never break.. I field tested one this summer, pretty nice rod. good luck

J
JeannaJigs
willierower said:
It is really nice if you can find someone who lives over on the coast that can give you conditions. Those rivers go in and out very quickly and most all of the rivers are not easy to fish without a drift boat. They run through mostly private property and a lot of the owners do not want anyone on there land.
Pete

Yeah see..I don't know anyone, and I don't have a boat...but oh well. I've adapted to bank fishing other rivers with minimal access. This winter I'll have a drift boat, so we'll see.

J
JeannaJigs
Razz said:
Sixes is CLOSED to salmon may have changed in the last week 10/10/09.Elk is open should see fish around Dec.10th and steelhead mid Jan.Also the salmon take is 2 wild. If you use a drift boat on the Elk the takeout is ONE BIT## to see.:shock:NO OTHER takeout.

Thanks for that info, didn't know it was closed.

W
womanwhofishes
(on a side note)

(on a side note)

Not that i Have fished on the Sixes but I used to be a camp counselor on a creek (Its called dry creek) that ran into the Sixes.
During the summer we was there (that camp was called Camp Humdinger) The steelhead would be stuck in ponds in the creek bed on the dry creek (Hence the name it dried up in the summer)
The steelhead group would cross the Sixes in the summer because it would be at its lowest , thats how we got in then they would drive up and take these fish and re-release them into the Sixes..

If your in to hiking go up this dry creek but you will run in to water and the most beautiful river bed..

M
mlw
I want to catch a salmon on the fly also, just finished building a 10'-10" 8wt switch rod, eventually will build a 9wt longer spey, but for now the 8wt will do. I have heard good things about the rivers down south too, but why not Siuslaw on the fly? I went to a little seminar on fly fishing for salmon at the local fly shop (JJ - know you're not their biggest fan, but I have gotten a lot of good info from them), read a couple books and articles, and tied flies for salmon - what I am missing is spots to try it out, and on river experience.

Know what you mean about the regs pdf. If they would strip all the advertising out of it would probably be a quarter the size and work fine.

Michael

J
JeannaJigs
halibuthitman said:
if your gonna use a ten weight you might as well get a spey rod, if you have ever cast to kings all day with one you know it can really wear a person out. if you buy an 8 with a good warranty then you have nothing to worrry about. I fish steel with a 6 and have never lost a fish becouse of the rod. if you are really concerned with breaking a rod you can purchase a boron rod which you will never break.. I field tested one this summer, pretty nice rod. good luck

sweet. thanks for that info. It's a huge transition with sometimes overwhelming options transitioning from a spinning rod to a fly rod. I've been looking at 8's the last few weeks, trying to pick somethin' for steelhead, as that's pretty much my primary quarry. Haven't decided on anything just yet, but i'll not be going el cheapo, and a good warranty is a must.

H
halibuthitman
although I fish with sage and winston rods, I don't think you can beat lamiglass rods for their durability and warranty for the price, sage is simply overpriced now and not really any better than a lamiglass, and lamiglass rods have probably caught more steelhead than any other rod in oregon. they are the model 94 winchesters of fishing poles!..... have fun!

J
JeannaJigs
mlw said:
I want to catch a salmon on the fly also, just finished building a 10'-10" 8wt switch rod, eventually will build a 9wt longer spey, but for now the 8wt will do. I have heard good things about the rivers down south too, but why not Siuslaw on the fly? I went to a little seminar on fly fishing for salmon at the local fly shop (JJ - know you're not their biggest fan, but I have gotten a lot of good info from them), read a couple books and articles, and tied flies for salmon - what I am missing is spots to try it out, and on river experience.

Know what you mean about the regs pdf. If they would strip all the advertising out of it would probably be a quarter the size and work fine.

Michael

Oh I plan on launching an assault on the Siuslaw with a fly rod for sure, it's the river I know best. I just am wanting to broaden my horizons, get a change of scenery ya know? fish new water. I was invited to go to a salmon fishing seminar at said fly shop...didn't go...lol. Maybe I will suck it up and give them a third chance...though....probably not, I've found a different shop with a super friendly guy loaded with info that sells me jig supplies without judgment or ridiculous comments, and way cheaper too! I highly recommend 'em Home water's on third next to REI. Sometime when I have a day off that Isn't spent fishing, I'll get in there and milk him for info and buy a new rod.

I've been tying jigs...gonna transition to flies this winter. Same concept.

J
JeannaJigs
halibuthitman said:
although I fish with sage and winston rods, I don't think you can beat lamiglass rods for their durability and warranty for the price, sage is simply overpriced now and not really any better than a lamiglass, and lamiglass rods have probably caught more steelhead than any other rod in oregon. they are the model 94 winchesters of fishing poles!..... have fun!
Is there a specific model of a lamiglass that one might recommend for exclusive steelhead use? That's the company i've been leaning towards because of the warranty, and because of the info I've got from people that have been using them...they seem to be pretty tuff rods.

Think i'm going to wait on a salmon fly rod for now, because of my hectic schedule, just not enough time to devote to it, so i'll just toss jigs at 'em with my spinning rod, but by the end of the year plan on getting one.

H
halibuthitman
my lami is a 1980's fiberglass rod, so I really can't help you with todays models,... but I imagine about 3500 guys on here or Ifish can. I fish with guys who use them and have casted several models and can say they are the Boss for a limited budget. You will probably do pretty good if you go into a reputable shop and tell them you want to buy a rod for your father for christmas and just tell them he wants what will fish the steel well but your on a tight budget... you never know what a guy might pull out of the back room if he feels like being generous.. or there have been about 6 nice lami flyrods on the portland craigslist in the last month for what seemed like smokin deals. I would also go with a large arbor reel, they really pick up line quick and I can't believe the differnce they make!

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks! I'll check it out. I haven't seen anything on craigslist down here (live in Eugene) but I'll keep checking. I'm sure though that if I go into the shop were I've been buying jig supplies, and talk to the guy, he can help me get into something good for a reasonable price. I know the reel I have with my current 5/6 doesn't have a drag and pretty much serves as a line holding device and not a reel...which...wouldn't work at all for a fish of any size. So I'll check out Arbor.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Oregon Rod Reel & Tackle sells all of the fly material you need and there will be no harassing there since its a gear shop! :lol: Good prices as well, that way you can buy your jig material and bobbers or line and anything else you need at the same time!