Elk and Sixes??

M
metalfisher76
JeannaJigs said:
Is there a specific model of a lamiglass that one might recommend for exclusive steelhead use? That's the company i've been leaning towards because of the warranty, and because of the info I've got from people that have been using them...they seem to be pretty tuff rods.

Think i'm going to wait on a salmon fly rod for now, because of my hectic schedule, just not enough time to devote to it, so i'll just toss jigs at 'em with my spinning rod, but by the end of the year plan on getting one.

Mine is the 9' 8 line g1298 8. Like I say I use it year round and the only time it broke was on a 20+lb native springer. And I stepped on it once. They`ll charge ya $30 for a crushed tip, free if it is broke.

J
JeannaJigs
steelhead_stalkers said:
Oregon Rod Reel & Tackle sells all of the fly material you need and there will be no harassing there since its a gear shop! :lol: Good prices as well, that way you can buy your jig material and bobbers or line and anything else you need at the same time!
I went in there and looked around, but they're way outta the way for me and like home water a little better for materials. I haven't been harassed there, the guy is totally cool and it's a laid back little shop. Same guy in there everyday just tryin' to make a living. He's got cool info, and he's got very good prices, and he helped me in the right direction when i went in there knowing nothing about flies. Caddis on the other hand is the devil and made me not want to step foot in another fly shop ever..thanfully I have learned they are not all that way!

J
JeannaJigs
metalfisher76 said:
Mine is the 9' 8 line g1298 8. Like I say I use it year round and the only time it broke was on a 20+lb native springer. And I stepped on it once. They`ll charge ya $30 for a crushed tip, free if it is broke.
That's what I like about 'em, heck of a good warranty...well worth the price. Thanks!

S
steelhead_stalkers
That's weird I got the opposite impression from the guy at home water. He seemed uninterested and kind of gruff and rude so I never went back. Maybe he had a bad day. :confused:

J
JeannaJigs
steelhead_stalkers said:
That's weird I got the opposite impression from the guy at home water. He seemed uninterested and kind of gruff and rude so I never went back. Maybe he had a bad day. :confused:
That is wierd, totally been a friendly informative down to earth guy when I've been in there. Granted, I go in there wearing my work scrubs, so, perhaps I get different treatment...I've noticed that people are friendlier when I wear scrubs, don't know why. Nonetheless he has been helpful to me.

You should give him another shot I think.

Caddis was that way with me, and I thought i just got a bad day so I gave them another couple of shots, but then everytime...same poor and moderately rude service, so I called it quits and got a divorce.

H
halibuthitman
Im suprised steelhead stalkers didn't comment on the lami rods, he is a custom rod builder... any thoughts on qaulity of these off the shelf rods?

S
steelhead_stalkers
I hear good things about the Lami's, overall they are a bit heavier of blanks but they are stronger than other brands so its a trade off.

I am actually thinking about building up a larger Batson fly blank for steelhead. I think that if you are buying an off the shelf rod Lami's are a good choice. :) But if you like building up your own rods the Batson fly blanks are very good along with Gatti.

M
mlw
I like Homewaters, and the fellow their has always been helpful and friendly. He has some good deals on less expensive rods that are still significantly better than Lamiglas. I think it good to have two fly shops in town, so try and give him business when I can, I also like his selection in tying materials. The new Oregon Rod Reel & Tackle carries Feathastyx, which are built on the aforementioned Bateson Rainshadow blanks might be worth a look
Michael

M
metalfisher76
mlw said:
I like Homewaters, and the fellow their has always been helpful and friendly. He has some good deals on less expensive rods that are still significantly better than Lamiglas. I think it good to have two fly shops in town, so try and give him business when I can, I also like his selection in tying materials. The new Oregon Rod Reel & Tackle carries Feathastyx, which are built on the aforementioned Bateson Rainshadow blanks might be worth a look
Michael

Warranties??

M
mlw
metalfisher76 said:
Warranties??
Almost all warranties these days are similar - lifetime with a $40-50 "handling fee" that offsets some of their costs, and provides some incentive for folks to be careful. The rod blanks I have bought have had as good of warranty coverage (or better, in the case of Dan Craft), as the major rod lables.

Homewaters carries Gloomis and TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters), both with good warranties.

Jeanna - surprised that you had that experience at Caddis - They have always been nice to me and I usually stop their on the way home from work, often looking like I just crawled through a road culvert, and I seldom spend more than $5-10.
Michael

J
JeannaJigs
mlw said:
Almost all warranties these days are similar - lifetime with a $40-50 "handling fee" that offsets some of their costs, and provides some incentive for folks to be careful. The rod blanks I have bought have had as good of warranty coverage (or better, in the case of Dan Craft), as the major rod lables.

Homewaters carries Gloomis and TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters), both with good warranties.

Jeanna - surprised that you had that experience at Caddis - They have always been nice to me and I usually stop their on the way home from work, often looking like I just crawled through a road culvert, and I seldom spend more than $5-10.
Michael

I don't know what it is, I've got three different guys everytime I've been in there, and the service has just been rude. The last time I asked about jig hooks because they DID have some..but only gamakatsu 1/0 long shank, and so i just asked if maybe they had more somewhere else. I got the most condescending "we don't carry that crap here", I honestly was shocked. Everyone tells me they love them and they're great, but it's just not happening for me?? I'm not sure what their deal is...I just quit going...but it's okay because I found the guy on 3rd and spent like $40 the first time i was there, and felt good about it because I got soo much stuff and the guy was so helpful. He has jig hooks in about 6 different sizes too. So take that Caddis.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Just got back from home-waters fly shop and they guy was very nice this time! Plus some of the stuff I bought was a dollar cheaper than cadis. :shock: Just thought I would post this and give him another positive.

J
JeannaJigs
Good! I really like that shop, and his prices are very reasonable, all my materials have been cheaper than anywhere else.

O
Outdrsmn
The elk and sixes are both drift boat river, although bank spots CAN be found. If you were going to bank it, the time to do it was about two days ago before the heavey rains come and knock out the sand bars the mouth can be phenominal. I know a guy that killed them this year with a fly rod down there out fishing the gear fisherman. One problem with it being so far is its a long dive to find out the river is blown out, but usually if one is blown the other is ok. These rivers can be CROWDED. They locals are not very nice either. it can geet hostile. if i was to fly fish for FALL nookies i would get a 10wt or spey rod. For steelies a 7wt would do. I hooked into a steelie on my 5wt on the mckenzie this year and lets say.........he won.

As far as telling the holdong water you will be able to tell just by looking. these are not big rivers so the likely holding spots are pretty obvious. Sixes is mostly a wild run with a limit this year of one fish per day and 2 for the year. The elk has a good hatcery run with 2 per day and 5 per year.

I am heading down saturday. i will report back if i think of it.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I am pretty sure both rivers are wild for steelhead but I am not sure about salmon. They also have winter salmon runs or really late fall runs, we got one last year in January.

Those McKenzie summers steelhead can and will tear you apart no matter what gear you are using! :lol:

H
humdinger camper
S
steelhead_slayer
Cool thread. I have thought about going south to target salmon on the fly for some time, but haven't committed yet.

isabella
isabella
Use a 10 wt and fish the mouth of the Elk. Dont remember the name of the state park you can walk from there. Gets kind of busy with fishers but many are willing to help you out. Good luck

T
Tinker
Both rivers are open for trout, steelhead and chinook NOW, but there is no summer steelhead run and the salmon won't start moving in for a few more months. Maybe October, more like November or December. Watch weather reports and wait for several days of heavy rain in the area to clear the sandbars at the mouth of each river.

It's just my opinion, but there's quite a bit of boat traffic on both rivers when the salmon are in. It's bow-to-stern from Friday through Monday, and only drops off a little the rest of the week.

T
Tinker
steelhead_stalkers said:
I am pretty sure both rivers are wild for steelhead but I am not sure about salmon. They also have winter salmon runs or really late fall runs, we got one last year in January.

Guys, these are tiny rivers - they're more stream than river, despite the name. There are very few spots where they're wider than 30 feet even in high water.

I live here. Although both are currently open for trout, chinook and steelhead, there is NO SUMMER STEELHEAD run in either river, and the chinook and steelhead won't start moving for a couple of months. Maybe October, more likely November.

Both are under a lot of fishing pressure when the sandbars wash out. Friday to Monday they can be bow-to-stern. There are few drifts and mostly the boats run from one hole to another and everyone gets out of the boat to fish. Don't see many fishing from within their boats.

The mouth of the Elk is a killer spot for salmon, but you'll be elbow-to-elbow with others.

Both are fished more for salmon than for steelhead. There's a hatchery on the Elk.

Both are in narrow and steep valleys and when the coastal winds are in (at the same time the salmon are in) I'm not sure about fly-fishing in either river. If you can cast in winds to 30 or 40mph, I guess it's possible.

There are no more than five public access points on both rivers, combined, at ODFW boat launches. There's more access in the wilderness areas if you've a mountain goat gene or two in your DNA.

The landowners are very protective of their property - for good reason. I'm still finding crap (too often literally) that was discarded last salmon season on the banks. You wouldn't want to be cleaning your backyard and picking up used toilet paper, either. So give them a break.

I mean: when you're in a boat, how much effort does it take to go over and pull that KwikFish and the 50 yards of heavy mono attached to it off of a log? Too much effort for too many people, it seems... I have a goodly sized box of lures salvaged from the banks at low water.

The locals are very friendly (xxxxxx) but you won't see many of us on the rivers. We know before anyone else when to get out there and we're done before the masses descend on us. You're seeing and interacting with the folks who migrate in for the fishing, and yes, they can be a bit cranky.

I love these rivers. They're drop-over-dead beautiful and I'll go sit by them even when I'm not fishing. Come whenever you want, but please respect the river for itself and keep it clean. Please?

Last edited:
Reactions: Raincatcher