Elk and Sixes Anniversary

jamisonace
jamisonace
Each year my wife and I celebrate our anniversary with a trip to Port Orford. We love it down there. Besides the fishing, our friend owns one of the motels and another friend is down there guiding through the season so we spend some time with them too. This year we knew the fishing was going to be tough and it looked like the weather wasn't going to cooperate too much either. We got down there Monday night and as we pulled in a few of the guides and some other fishermen greeted us in the parking lot. (BTW, we stayed at the Battle Rock Motel....need to get a plug in for our friends place) We chatted about their successes and while it sounded like things had picked up a little that day I was still skeptical about our prospects.

The next morning we slept in like I usually do. I just don't like to fist fight all the other guys for the good holes. There is plenty of water that holds fish. All the likely holes were taken up top so we headed down to get below most of the boats. We fished for a long time without any fish. Stopped under the rickety train bridge to cook up some brats and have lunch and then headed down. Full bellies must have done the trick because shortly thereafter we got into fish. We hit a good hole that surprisingly didn't have any boats in it. So here is where the fun started.

My wife fishes with me once a year so I just wanted one fish to the boat for her. I had her back bouncing bait down the hole as I rigged up a bobber rod. When I got it ready I told her to watch me because this is how I'm going to have her fish this hole. I tossed the line just behind the boat and about 3 seconds after the bobber hit the water it went down. I got the line tight, handed her the rod and got ready to move the boat. Just as I pulled anchor the fish came off. So she casts again a few more times and the bobber goes down and I tell her to reel, which she does but the fish only stays on for about 10 seconds and comes off. In all, she had 5 bobbers down in that hole and got one to the boat. We didn't get any more hits the rest of the float but that one hole made the whole trip worth it. We had a really great time.

The next day I hit the Sixes with C-Run from this forum and another friend that guides down there during this time of year. That's right, my wife rocks. She was happy enjoying herself in town while I fished with friends on our anniversary trip. John got the pig pictured below back bouncing. Got a quick photo and put it back to make babies. Another fish took a plug, hit the surface and spit it. Still, considering the circumstances I felt lucky that we got one to the bank and had another at least hit.

Looks like that's how I'm ending my 2012 salmon season.....definitely on a good note.

Elk River in the rain with my wife.
Elk Rain.jpg

Getting the onions and peppers cooked and ready to add brats. Best river lunch ever.

Eileen with her Elk River fish.
Eileen's Elk Fish.jpg

John Gross with his Sixes River buck. This guy has taught me everything I know about salmon fishing. Glad I could get him into a good fighter. Wish it had been a chromer though:)
John's Sixes Fish.jpg

Reactions: Admin
E
eugene1
Right on! Not a bad end to the nook season at all, and your wife sounds awesome.

Best,

T
troutmasta
Congratulations! Sounds like a great time and cheers to a great season! Thanks for letting me be a smidgeon of that. Tight Lines- Jeff

P.S that buck is a line backer

Last edited:
W
Wolfden
Happy Anniversary too you and the wife ... what a great way to spend a day ..

Dennis

S
steelhead_slayer
:clap: glad you guys had a good trip

B
bigsteel
nice trip!!!!i am hungry now

J
jabs67
Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing..:clap::cool:

D
DYJ
Best. Wife. Ever.

S
steelhead_stalkers
That's pretty cool you guys can do that together! Nice fish too.

Y
Yogidabear
I love the little stove in your boat , maybe you could add an oven and bake a cake.

M
Mad dog
Nice Jamie!!! :clap: Looks like a great time was had! :clap: :dance:

The Elk is a beautiful little river! :cool:

C_Run
C_Run
Thanks for taking me along, Jamie. Learned a lot even though I didn't get a fish that day. I ended up going down to the mouth for a few hours after we split up and swung hardware until dusk for a last stab at a salmon. Came up empty there , too, but saw a lot of rainbows .

jamisonace
jamisonace
Wow, you made a full day of it. I wish I had had more time to fish that day. 1/2 days just aren't enough but we were anxious to get back to Eugene and relieve my parents of grandkid duty. I look forward to fishing again with you. How about the freeway to Buena Vista for springers???

C_Run said:
Thanks for taking me along, Jamie. Learned a lot even though I didn't get a fish that day. I ended up going down to the mouth for a few hours after we split up and swung hardware until dusk for a last stab at a salmon. Came up empty there , too, but saw a lot of rainbows .

jamisonace
jamisonace
LOL...that stove is nothing more than my heater turned on it's side. I like cake though. I might need to figure that one out!

Yogidabear said:
I love the little stove in your boat , maybe you could add an oven and bake a cake.

C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace said:
Wow, you made a full day of it. I wish I had had more time to fish that day. 1/2 days just aren't enough but we were anxious to get back to Eugene and relieve my parents of grandkid duty. I look forward to fishing again with you. How about the freeway to Buena Vista for springers???

Springers sounds good!! Here are a couple of action shots from John's fish.

Fish on.

bwuTM.jpg

Jamisonace closing in. We thought it would wrap around his feet.

0szAY.jpg

Mouth of Sixes, one of my favorite places on the planet.

5ewJ7.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks for posting these photos Chris. They sure beat the ones I took with my phone that day. I did have to dance a little around the line when I went to tail it:)

I share your opinion of the mouth of Sixes. What a beautiful setting. Glad we got such great weather that day!

O
OnTheDrop
Nice job Jamie! and congrats on the anniversary. I couldn't see a better way to spend it!