Electric lawn mower

TTFishon

I'm thinking about buying an electric lawn mower. Has anyone ever owned or used one? What's your take as opposed to a gas powered mower?

TTFishon

So did I!

Electrics are fine until you cut the cord! They also don't like the rain which we have plenty of right now.
I was wondering about the rain issue. I don't really mow my lawn in the rain though so I don't think it's that much of an issue. The cord might be an issue though.

I have $200 bucks and I want something that will last. My last mower only lasted 3 years and I bought it brand new from Sears. Can you say POS? lol

fish4life

I would say it would also depend on how big your yard is and how high the grass gets, my brother has a electric and says if grass gets too long he has to weedeat it first.

Combat Chuck

I like mine. Its really light so my wife even mows the lawn... makes more time for fishing :) Mine has lasted 2 years so far without issue. I store it outside under a tarp. I dont bother with trying to mow in the rain and my lawn has never gotten too high that it didnt work. Basically... I would buy again.

tomriker

have you been watching CL for a used gas one? can't be that spendy... buy 2 or 3 and run em till they die

or get a goat! problem solved

Berg03

have you been watching CL for a used gas one? can't be that spendy... buy 2 or 3 and run em till they die

Ya, my mom has goats, never has to mow. haha

I bought mine 2 years ago frome home depot $159 and its gas powered, i use some blue **** they give me and mix it with the gas, supposed to clean the motor while it runs. Seems to be doing great for me, everything still runs great, starts always on first start even after it sits all winter.

Last edited:

the_intimidator03

I have used an Electric Mower and when the grass gets a bit tall it can really be a pain to chop it back down. Also when the grass is damp (when isnt it out in these parts) it tends to clog the mower a bit. Also if you do go with an electric mower. do not, i repeat, do not use a green cord. bright orange extension cord is much better. so you can see it before you run it over LOL. I do not know why ours came with a grass green cord. makes no sense

TTFishon

I like mine. Its really light so my wife even mows the lawn... makes more time for fishing :) Mine has lasted 2 years so far without issue. I store it outside under a tarp. I dont bother with trying to mow in the rain and my lawn has never gotten too high that it didnt work. Basically... I would buy again.
What brand?

TTFishon

Yeah, there's a guy in Springfield that rebuilds them and he will take my old one in exchange for a price cut off of one of his.

Last edited:

Combat Chuck

The other post reminded me... I do think it tends to clog up more than a gas mower when the lawn is wet. I think the brand is Earthwise or some hippy name like that :)

TTFishon

Thanks Chuck. I might just get a gas mower. I have several strains of grass with an uneven ground with dog toys and sticks that seem to hide deep within. lol Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Does your use a cord or a battery?

FishNinja

The worst part about electric mowers and weed eaters is they are very susceptible to voltage drop when using long extension chords. If you are going to be using more and 20-30ft of extension chord you should probably go with a gas powered mower.

Combat Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I might just get a gas mower. I have several strains of grass with an uneven ground with dog toys and sticks that seem to hide deep within. lol Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Does your use a cord or a battery?
I wouldnt worry about that too much... here is my lawn lol
house 006.jpg

The biggest thing would be how long you let it get. If you only mow when its a jungle... go gas :lol: