Eggs from the jetties?

K
Kodiak
So I've been sitting around in doctors offices too much lately and wondering...Why can't you drift eggs and a bobber for chinook in some of the bays along the jetties? True, this teritory is traditionally held for herring and spinners, but no one can give me a reasonable explination of why this will not work. So I'm all ears if any of you can give me a good reason why not, or if you know of times in the past it has worked.

M
Mike123
Why waist upriver bait when you can use cheap and easy to get herring! hahaha.

My brother caught a couple off the jetty last year throwing spinners, so I know you can catch them on the bank off the jetty.

G
GDBrown
Tidewater baits

Tidewater baits

Kodiak said:
Why can't you drift eggs and a bobber for chinook in some of the bays along the jetties? ...... no one can give me a reasonable explination of why this will not work. So I'm all ears if any of you can give me a good reason why not, or if you know of times in the past it has worked.

Think of it this way..... Until fish enter fresh water they are use to seeing saltwater baits (food) and eggs floating in tidewater is just not normal.... Fish don't drop eggs until well upriver. :shock:
I agree with Mike, don't waist upriver bait in the tidewater!:cool:

M
Mike123
I'll use eggs in tidewater... ;) Just not in the bay. Just depends on the time of year. But eggs are just like 5 times more costly than fish type baits... anchovies and herring. haha

G
GDBrown
Jetty style tidewater!

Jetty style tidewater!

Mike123 said:
I'll use eggs in tidewater... ;) Just not in the bay. Just depends on the time of year. But eggs are just like 5 times more costly than fish type baits... anchovies and herring. haha

Ya, by tidewater I meant out by the jetty, that's where he was thinking of using it.

K
Kodiak
GDBrown said:
Think of it this way..... Until fish enter fresh water they are use to seeing saltwater baits (food) and eggs floating in tidewater is just not normal.... Fish don't drop eggs until well upriver. :shock:
I agree with Mike, don't waist upriver bait in the tidewater!:cool:

Ok, now riddle me this batman.....About 11 yrs ago now a friend of my dad and I were out on the ocean mooching herring in about 130ft of water drifting with the current. My dads friend had some old eggs in his boat and was going to throw them out, I rigged up a large chunk and dropped them down to the depths. After about 5 mins it was rod down and a 12 lb nooker came up. I agree with the keep baits in the right place theory, but why won't they bite them on the way in on a tide? Is it because we don't try it out of fear of ridicule or is it the fact it just won't work? In the '20's and 30's they used to fish fall nooks off the pier behind what is now Moes in Lincoln city, the bait of choice then was eggs. Did this method quit working due to some unknown new law passed by mother nature?

M
Mike123
That's awesome! 130ft! No doubt it would work, just the price and hard to come by eggs.
Your so right about people fearing ridicule though.. haha. So funny how salmon and steelhead fishermen act.

O
osmosis
That damn brain surgery better not have gotten you to start thinking outside of the box (since you never did that before or anything :D)
Get back in the box kodiak!

G
GDBrown
I stand by my comment! He is talking about fishing them from the jetty!! Not out in the deep blue. Out there anything that can be considered food is eaten! When they start passing the JETTY there mind is on the spawn.....

GD

B
BobberDown
i dont see why it would not work i have used eggs with in 1/8 to a 1/4 mile of the mouth of some small streams down south for fallies with deadly resoltes but hay you will never know if you dont try

B
BobberDown
GDBrown said:
I stand by my comment! He is talking about fishing them from the jetty!! Not out in the deep blue. Out there anything that can be considered food is eaten! When they start passing the JETTY there mind is on the spawn.....

GD

well no no there mind is not on the spond tell the salt has conpleatley left there sistem witch takes a few days once they have left the tied waters . in the deep blue or passing the jety they are on the same feeding sicle why do you think herring or andchovise work so well if you want a very nateral bait right around a jetty a sand shrimp with a ball of eggs now that is a money bait sand shrimp come from the flats in the bay so why not you know those eggs drifting down the river have to go some where and i would think some make it to the salt

i say give her hell and good to see you back phile

B
BobberDown
i guess this is like when every one told me nooks dont eat jigs and your wasting your time well we all know how that turnd out well or at least some of use do like osmosis sed keep thinking out side the box that is what seperates good fishman for the grate fisherman

C
Cohosanders
Fish will bite on anything and eggs retain their color better in salt water too..IMO 100+ years of egg fishing and they still work great!!! Maybe some spawn sacs or even those EZ eggs would work too. Between scent and appearance they gotta bite...again...IMO

Y
youngbuck307
i would love to try running some sand shrimp under a bobber or some smaller bait fish off the jetty... was thinking with sandshrimp you would get action from any other types of fish hanging out around the jetty too!

M
metalfisher76
I`m TOLD, that it is deadly on the mouth of the Salmon. I have even seen a pic of a buddy holding a nice nook from there and he had a bobber on, said eggs are all you need on the incoming. These are very hot fish so why not?
I`m also told that fallies don`t bite in rivers:rolleyes::lol:

F
fishtales
Well I will post my brief experience on the topic. I tried to fish with eggs and a bobber at the Barview Jetty on the bay side once. I had a hard time casting out far enough. There where several boats fishing along the Jetti at the time who where not much further out than where I was casting. That and the i recall the tide moving pretty quick. So maybe it would work better on a smaller tide.

M
metalfisher76
fishtales said:
Well I will post my brief experience on the topic. I tried to fish with eggs and a bobber at the Barview Jetty on the bay side once. I had a hard time casting out far enough. There where several boats fishing along the Jetti at the time who where not much further out than where I was casting. That and the i recall the tide moving pretty quick. So maybe it would work better on a smaller tide.

Oh it`s definitely gonna depend on tides, and even the jetty itself.

F
fishtales
I agree a couple Saturdays ago when the weather was nice I tried to fish with sand shrimp at the Astoria Jetti just in from the spit. There is no way eggs and a bobber from the rocks would be productive there in my opinion.