Egg sinkers or split shots?

S
Scarecro
i have absolutely no idea what i'm doing to my line unless i have split shot. But ive heard egg sinkers work really good too. the question i have is what kind of lures or bait do i use wiht an egg sinker?

A
Anyfishisfine
I use an egg sinker when I want the fish to be able to pick up the bait without feeling the resistance of the weight. The line slides through it.

Split-shot is just cheap weight for when that doesn't matter.

IMHO

S
Scarecro
Anyfishisfine said:
I use an egg sinker when I want the fish to be able to pick up the bait without feeling the resistance of the weight. The line slides through it.

Split-shot is just cheap weight for when that doesn't matter.

IMHO

In your opinion, would you use an egg sinker with just a hook and a worm?

EDIT: would the egg sinker go above the swivel or below?

A
Anyfishisfine
Scarecro said:
In your opinion, would you use an egg sinker with just a hook and a worm?

I'm no expert compared to many here, but that's how I always fish on the bottom. So yeah, that's what I'd do if you aren't using a bobber. When I use a bobber I always use a small thill-type slip float with split-shot.

A
Anyfishisfine
sinker goes above the swivel on the main line. You can also use a bead between the weight and the swivel to prevent chaffing of the knot, but I don't think that matters as much with light tackle.

F
FishSchooler
I use eggies for bottom fishing for trout.

Use floating bait with them, like powerbait. That wait, fish can see it better.

S
Scarecro
thanks for all the input guys. im headed up to hemlock this weekend in search of trout and maybe some early bass if were lucky.