Eel Lake in late January

D
Dnyed
Anyone have any advice for fishing Eel lake this time of year? I'm going to be at Tugman State Park with a small boat this weekend and want to try it out. Are any bodies of water nearby (Hall/Schuttpelz lakes, Eel creek, etc.) worth a shot right now? I'll have both fly and spin set-ups with me.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

First, Eel Creek (and all streams) are closed right now. They won't open until May, for trout. However Eel Creek is now open for Steelhead.

According to "Oregon Coast Fishing Maps", by Pete Heley, sometimes Coho are caught in Eel Lake. But those must be safely released. Most of the larger trout are caught by fishing OFF of the bottom, in Eel Lake. You may also encounter SRC's, or an occasional Steelhead. So be sure to read the regulations, before heading out.

Also according to Heley's book Schuttpelz lake--and, more importanly, ODFW reg book--is strictly a Cuttie catch and release show. It's also an artificial lures and flies only pond.

Hall is primarily a Smallie lake. With an occasional native Cuttie--and a misplaced Coho (again the Ho's need to be safely released).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Oregon Coast Fishing Maps Pete Heley book cover.jpg

Reactions: playhooky
4labs
4labs
Tried Eel once trolling and 0 luck. Graphed a lot of fish but nothing for me. Did see a couple of boats drifting off the points and did see them catch a few. Ten mile is a better bet this time of yr.

troutdude
troutdude
4labs said:
Tried Eel once trolling and 0 luck. Graphed a lot of fish but nothing for me.

Yeah Pete's book mentioned that trolling is pretty ineffective there. Might catch some dinks, he says. But not the big boys.

D
Dnyed
Thanks for the welcome and the info! I was planning on trolling so that is really helpful to know. Looks like I need to get a copy of that book!

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Dnyed said:
Thanks for the welcome and the info! I was planning on trolling so that is really helpful to know. Looks like I need to get a copy of that book!

Only $8. And he has many others. They include black and white maps too. With depth contour lines as well.

In fact I think that this cover--of another Pete Heley book--shows one of our very own OFF members @Throbbit _Shane !

Ten pound bass Pete Heley book cover.jpg

D
Dnyed
I ended up only having a couple hours to fish Eel. Fought but lost one small to mid sized trout and had a few other quick bites but never got set. All on woolly buggers. Thanks for the help!

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for the report. At least you weren't totally Dnyed! lol