Eating smalls

M
Markcanby
How is Smallmouth Bass to eat? I never liked Largemouth so never tried Smallies but I know a lot of people eat them so Im thinking of giving them a try. An besides I know I can catch a ton of them.:lol:

F
FishSchooler
Markcanby said:
How is Smallmouth Bass to eat? I never liked Largemouth so never tried Smallies but I know a lot of people eat them so Im thinking of giving them a try. An besides I know I can catch a ton of them.:lol:

Not from the willamette... :rolleyes:

M
Markcanby
O
Outdoor_Myers
Mark you never ate smallies?! They are like a mix between a walleye and a largemouth from my experience! I like small largemouths about 12" vs lake 15" here. Also fall bass is better than summer/spring.

T
Troutier Bassier
Smallmouth is my Favorite Fish to eat. I take it and Fillet it, Then Take a container and fill it 1/4 with flour, Take Both sides of the fish, (Cut them if they dont fit) and Put them in there, and shake the Container so the flour gets in all the Spaces. then I take a pan and start frying some Onions. (garlic whatever you like.) and Put the fish that are coverd in FLour on the Pan. 3 Mins each side, When the fish is done so is the Onions. take both out, Salt, pepper. And eat.

M
Markcanby
Troutier Bassier said:
Smallmouth is my Favorite Fish to eat. I take it and Fillet it, Then Take a container and fill it 1/4 with flour, Take Both sides of the fish, (Cut them if they dont fit) and Put them in there, and shake the Container so the flour gets in all the Spaces. then I take a pan and start frying some Onions. (garlic whatever you like.) and Put the fish that are coverd in FLour on the Pan. 3 Mins each side, When the fish is done so is the Onions. take both out, Salt, pepper. And eat.

This is from the guy who eats SHAD.:rolleyes:
I think I will wait for some other input no offence Man

T
Troutier Bassier
Hehe, Its ok.
If I was in your Position I wouldent be listening to Myself Anyways. :lol:

O
Outdoor_Myers
Troutier Bassier said:
Hehe, Its ok.
If I was in your Position I wouldent be listening to Myself Anyways. :lol:

How can you not trust someone that has a picture like that, lol

F
FishSchooler
Markcanby said:
This is from the guy who eats SHAD.:rolleyes:
I think I will wait for some other input no offence Man

IIII eat the shad :tongue: :lol:

TB- 1/4 flour? Grain? Cup? pound? globe of? ;)

O
Outdoor_Myers
instead of flower try corn starch i think its called, well mark you should know fry em like a bluegill or crappie

L
lizardman
Mark,
Smallmouth aren't bad eating. They are very mild.

I took and fried the fillets in olive oil in a cast iron skillet using Mrs. Dash seafood seasoning, pepper, oregano as spices and it was very good.

My wife took the left over fish and mixed it with brocolli and cheese and made a casserole with that.

Dave

R
Ryno Smojo
Smallmouth is one of the best fresh water eating fish

Smallmouth is one of the best fresh water eating fish

I caught a steelhead this summer and some smallmouth around the same time and was shocked by how good the smallmouth was. Id rather have the bass then the steelhead.

G
grampa ron
Small Mouth Bass

Small Mouth Bass

My way is to remove the head, guts and fins. I do not scale of fillet them.
I put them on a cold barbecue. As the barby heats up it dries the skin and seals it. You need to pay attention and turn them over a couple times. When you eat them, just peel off the skin. All the meat will be there with no waste. It's a lot healthier than frying.

T
todd_brooks
Outdoor_Myers said:
instead of flower try corn starch i think its called, well mark you should know fry em like a bluegill or crappie

I think your thinking of corn meal. But IMO a basic beer batter is the way to go and its good right up there with blue gill.

H
halibuthitman
Im gonna break from my norm of picking on troutier bassier, and defend his horrible taste in fish... Shad were planted on the oregon columbia river as an alterative food source. Shad run in a relatively slow time of the year for columbia salmon runs... as the salmon diminished a suplimental food source was started..it didn't really take off, asian and hispanic imigrants exploited the fishery mildly, but not much. The existence of columbia river shad is for human consumpson... sad... but true. So TB... enjoy!;)

T
Troutier Bassier
Thanks HHM.

kirkster
kirkster
Markcanby said:

My opinion is what time of year you catch them during april pre spawn when the water is cooler there not bad. it seems as water warms they tend to taste muddy IMO.
If you have a boat the lower john day from the mouth up as far up as your boat can go I think its around 8 miles. Starting in april its killer small mouth fishing I took my kids there all the time when they were youngsters we could easily c and r Over a 100 small mouth a day.

M
Markcanby
I catch a lot right hear by my house on the Molalla. Nice 1-2lbs all day long in the spring tell about the end of July. Just thought I would try to eat some.

F
FishSchooler
halibuthitman said:
Im gonna break from my norm of picking on troutier bassier, and defend his horrible taste in fish... Shad were planted on the oregon columbia river as an alterative food source. Shad run in a relatively slow time of the year for columbia salmon runs... as the salmon diminished a suplimental food source was started..it didn't really take off, asian and hispanic imigrants exploited the fishery mildly, but not much. The existence of columbia river shad is for human consumpson... sad... but true. So TB... enjoy!;)

Sockeye are in their peak during shad run. We also have the summer nooks going through as well.

Markcanby-whats wrong with shad?

TB-I might add to your recipe...
Use and egg and bread crumbs for the coating (sounds a little strange, but I tried doing it with shrimp, it didn't stick, so I just ended up eating the breading by itself). Start frying the fish by itself, leave the other stuff out for now. Look on the side of the fillet to see when it's done. If it looks ready, then add the onions. Fry them only till they are crisp, but cooked. If you put onions in the beginning, they will be little slices of mushy stuff! haha ;)

F
flippinbaits
release the large females they taste bad. eat 12-13 inchers