east side to west side

H
here2fish
Hey guys,

So I used to live out in Sandy and pretty much only fished out there. I now live on the West side of Portland and need to find a place to fish. I have been thinking about the Wilson, but I am very unfamiliar with it. I was hoping someone might be able to give me a range of milepost markers that contain good fishing. Or maybe a landmark, Ive never even looked at the river and was looking for a general area. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Do the Wilson. You will be happy you chose to learn that river. It is far more productive than the Clackamas or Sandy. Especially in the Winter time. But try looking around Elk Creek for starters. The Campground has a few decent drifts, and any place off of the road you see a riffle section, will hold at least one Summer.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Do the Wilson. You will be happy you chose to learn that river. It is far more productive than the Clackamas or Sandy. Especially in the Winter time. But try looking around Elk Creek for starters. The Campground has a few decent drifts, and any place off of the road you see a riffle section, will hold at least one Summer.

I thought you said that clackamas was your favorite and most productive river you got to all the time...

O
OneMore
I would have to agree with AA, wilson would be a sweeeeet choice. Also I would say start at elk creek then work your way down stopping at almost any pull off. I swear around every turn that river has another sweet looking hole. Wish I could make it out that way more often.

A
ArcticAmoeba
FishSchooler, of course the Clackamas is my most productive river. I fish it almost every day! I have only fished the Wilson 6 times since New Years. I have left with limits every time, but that is still not very many fish. My absolute favorit stream I won't reveal, but the Clack is up there. Purely because I live so close.

OM, I too wish I had th etime to make day trips out there. Every decent hole, from Elk Creek to the Tidewater has fish in it right now. I need more clients out there...:think:

B
beaverfan
Ya I too would say try the Wilson too. Elk Creek is a great spot. I would also recommend stopping by mile marker 21 couple of great holes.

H
here2fish
Yhanks! what should I target?

Yhanks! what should I target?

Hey, thanks for the information guys, really appreciate it. So I am going to start checking it out, but should I be targeting steel or have the nooks made it up there.

B
beaverfan
Most of the fish I have been seeing out there are the last of the winters. Another couple weeks and more nooks and some summers should be there. I read somewhere that they had there first confirmed springer catch on the wilson a week or two ago. so there comin'

C
cchinook
Clack report

Clack report

today - gauge hole impossible to fish - barb's hole o.k. - bathroom hole o.k.
still way to high - have patince grasshopper - this will all change for the better by 1st. week of June -- can not remember the name of that show- you know the one , if you are old enough -

J
just1nook
cchinook said:
today - gauge hole impossible to fish - barb's hole o.k. - bathroom hole o.k.
still way to high - have patince grasshopper - this will all change for the better by 1st. week of June -- can not remember the name of that show- you know the one , if you are old enough -
Was going to hit McIver in the am, sounds like you think its a waste of time?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Charles is right. The poo hole, or bathroom hole, and Barbs hole are both kicking out a few Springers, but the gauge is way too high and fast, it fishes best below 13. And the Dam hole is up too much to be very productive. Vets are killing the "stacker-uppers", but they know the holding shelf like thier own homes. Fish are holding dirty close to tthe bottom. So rig accordingly.

Wilson is the same. Fish are very tight to the river bed up higher in the system. And the first reported Springer to the masses was hooked a couple weeks ago, but may have been stabbed, and hauled already. And I got into 3 Summers, and only 1 Winter the last time I fished near the 21 drifts. Although I did hook one fish in about 12 feet of water, and it dug like a Chinook, but I saw the tail. Steelhead, and probably a Winter, by the way it acted, and where it was layed up. Broke me off shortly after on its huddle rock, but the Wilson should be putting out plenty of fish by now, and if not, it will be by the end of the month.

C
cchinook
Arctic A

Arctic A

The Wilson is a great river - starting after the first serious rain , say mid Oct. - I am talking about the hogs of fall - I hooked them till my arms hurt last year - no disrespect to steel anglers but steel just do not do it it for me
- to small , to spooky , to picky - I what to see my Kenai King casting rod bent over until it looks like a horse shoe - that happens in the fall on the W -
as far as the Clack. goes I have a saying - " The Clack rules , the rest drool "

A
ArcticAmoeba
I like it! The Clack Rules! And yes, the Wilson is a fantastic Fall fishery. One of my favorites. Falls just below another small coastal stream in my favorites list! If the Clack had a legit run of clipped Fallies, I would never, ever leave. It would fish hard 12 months a year, with zero slack time! Whats a guy gonna do! I gotta fill the dead time between Salmon runs, and the stinky 'ol Sewer Trout do it for now!:lol: Wish we had Winter Chinook out in the bays too. The immature 12 pounders, like they get in the P. Sound up north.

C
cchinook
old proverb: Fish , in order to taste right , must swim twice , once in water and then in wine .

C
cchinook
fishing is never a waste of time - most everything else in life usualy is -

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yup, according to me, and it appears you as well...Everything else is just wasting valuable fishing time! Hahaha! Nice quotes Charles. Very.