East Lake

P
PezVela
We fished East lake (the east end) for a couple days last week, and were over run with chub! What's with that? I think last year at this time I caught only one... this time dozens! I sent a note to the ODFW with a report and have heard they do have fish traps out for them, but I think the lake is in big trouble. We did manage to catch a handful of kokanee, and a couple nice rainbow, but no brown trout, and we were on the water at 5AM when they should have been in the shallows.

• IMG_3652.jpeg
  • IMG_3585.jpeg
  • IMG_6205.jpeg
Reactions: C_Run, wils, JasonInBend and 1 other person
troutdude
troutdude
Welp! At least your chubs were bigger than the ones I caught at Lava Lake, last Friday morning. I wish that I would've remembered to kill 'em. They are a WELL KNOWN invasive specie after all (think Diamond Lake).

DOKF
DOKF
Who keeps using live bait, and releasing them?

A rhetorical question ...

troutdude
troutdude
DOKF said:

Only an arse.

C
Clbagshaw
DOKF said:

I feel like people don't anymore in Oregon epically since where do you buy a tui chub? Those fish have been in there a long time and they reproduce like crazy.

Reactions: WaveCrawler
WaveCrawler
WaveCrawler
I lived in central oregon for 12yrs... They have been their a long time! They do (or at least used to) put traps out when they are congregated to spawn. Right before I left, they introduced Atlantic salmon to the lake in hopes they would eat the chub. I have caught one from east lake.

Reactions: Clbagshaw
H
hubt84
Has anyone used the boat ramp at the campground before you get to the lodge recently? I heard a rumor that it was kind of sketchy right now…
I have a trip planed for this weekend.

P
PezVela
I fished East Lake (the east end) for 3 days this week, and saw several boats using that ramp, apparently with no problems. Lots of weeds around there though. And yes I did catch a few fish, but had to work for them. Did I mention there is a lot of weeds..?

Reactions: troutdude