Eagle hatchery

S
skunk
Just heard on the radio that the hatchery is now only focusing on the coho. No longer steel. They are relying on the acclimation pond at eagle fern to keep the steelhead run going. It sounded like the fish will be put there then into the river. Not sure on the details but what will this do to the fishery there, or even up higher near the hatchery? Is it going to basically decline? Any input?

F
fishingfreak
From what I have heard from Local Bait/Tackle shop owners is that they stopped the Steelhead program 2 or 3 yrs ago. Some say 2 some say 3. So the Steelhead run will be on the decline from this year on. Whether this is true or Gossip IDK. If anyone can chime in or correct me please do so. There are many members on the forum that have 20 to 30+ yrs of experience on the creek so they will have better input than I have.

FF

J
jeffcycles
I've spoken with an acquaintance who works the stream for ODFW. She mentioned that the reason is due to Eagle Creek Hatchery being a federal hatchery rather than an Oregon hatchery. Something along the lines of federal hatcheries only being mandated to protect tribal fisheries and when funding hits the chopping block, Eagle Creek steelhead program goes away.....

G
GDBrown
So in a few years that will make it a C&R creek only for steelhead because they won't be clipped any more, right?

F
Flymstr
I am not here to say much, just don't worry about it.

Y
youngbuck307
Also have been told once ec does get the steelhead cut clack dog creek hatch will be getting more than what both hatches are getting now....

F
fish4life
It really dosnt suprise me they have talked about doing that before in the past. They have supposely started putting springers in but I dont think they have had much of a return, last year was the first year they should have had a decent run. They use to put springers in it years ago but stopped because of snagging and coldwater disease that chinook are more prone to. As far as the clackamas I heard they let all of the fish go at dog creek or below which sucks for me because one of my favorite spots to fishwas rivermill. They also suppose to be letting fish go and return below carver. It is mainly becoming a lower river fishery whih is better if you have a drift boat or jet sled.

F
fish4life
My brother in law was up at the hatchery on thursday and he said the pond was empty so maybe they are not letting fish into the hatchery and just spawn in the creek which would bassically make any future runs all native. He also said there was two fish in the ladder and the water was very low and he didn't see any in the holes below if they dont have the fish weir on the fish will swim above the hatchery.

Last edited:
B
bigdog
Been a lot of talk about them stoping the steal run at the hatch and a lot is looking like they are doing just that. As for them going above the hatch they can't, they don't let them go above the hatch there they turn on the electric fish fence to keep them below there.

As for nooks, they are releasing nooks at eagle fern park and have been for a number of years now. If you go to the park and drive in a little ways you can see the accilation tank there even has a sign that says it is the ODFW chinook accilation tank. If the state does take over the runs for the steal on the eagle then it will be a lot like the nook run they are doing on there. Yes there are going to be a lot of non clipped fish in the future but still a fair amount of clipped ones as well.

It does seem like our runs are getting less and less in this state though. It has got me really thinking hard about getting my lisence for Wash and learning them waters, good runs and cheaper to have out of state lisence for a year then it is to have in state one here. HHHMMM

CJ

Y
youngbuck307
It don't matter where they put the fish in on the clack they go above dog creek I pick up lot of hatch fish above rivermill even! That big hole befor the dam won't die as long as there is a dam there and a run of fish on the river

F
fish4life
Im not saying fish dont go up there anymore but it is not like is use to be, They pretty much shut of access to the estacada side of the river, you can still go there and walk through the woods but you are taking the chance of getting you car vandelized. Had someone flatten one of my tires one year. I used to fish there and consistley catch 2-8 fish a day, some were natives some were dark. But am a beliver in limit what you catch not always catch your limit, and since they have changed where they put the fish in and what strains of fish they put in I havnt done nearly as well. Heck they dont even jump in there like they use to.

F
fish4life
They even shut down a section up by caz where a got one good trip with a fly rod I purchased, 3 chinook and a steelhead, Im just saying seems like there are more people fishing and less and less spots every year and pisspoor runs, increase in fishing licences. I have no problem paying more if it seems like the money is going somewhere productive.

S
steeltime
No kidding! ODFW had way less money back then and the rivers were full of fish. It is really becoming a joke...

F
fish4life
Yeh Im trying to get into more warmwater fishing, more solitude and I think in the future the runs are going to be so poor its not worth going out.

S
SemperFly
I don't really want to say too much, but ODFW could easily restore the fish runs. However, if they did it right, there would be a lot of people in the hatchery programs out of a job. Hatchery programs have little to nothing to do with restoring native runs and everything to do with maintaining the $tatu$ quo.

A
Anyfishisfine
I'm sure if they cut back on the hatchery programs it will come with a new license fee hike.

Y
youngbuck307
Lol yea didn't u know the less fish there are more u have to pay!

F
fishingfreak
youngbuck307 said:

:lol::lol::lol:
:think::naughty:

B
bigdog
youngbuck307 said:

Thats about what it comes down to.

B
birdlegs86
youngbuck307 said:
Also have been told once ec does get the steelhead cut clack dog creek hatch will be getting more than what both hatches are getting now....

Well, this is all very interesting. So where is Dog Creek at? I've looked it up on Google but have failed to find it.