Eagle Creek?

S
seanteevlo
Any reports from Eagle Creek? Is the water back to gin clear, or does it still have some color in it? Good luck!

A
ArcticAmoeba
Lots of dark sort fishing up high, and some decent chrome-ish fish down below the park. Summer tactics are in play, as well as some specialized drift fishing. Very productive though.

M
metalmania
It's flowin a lot more than it was and has a nice green color. AA pretty much said it all.

S
seanteevlo
fish, but not for me

fish, but not for me

Well you guys were right about there being a lot of darker fishing up top. From the few people we saw and talked to they were getting lots of hits and a few landed, but all in the early morn. By the time i got there wwe got nothing and saw nothing. One of these days...

A
Alaskan Assassin
Sounds like a cool little creek how do access it? is it wadeable?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Absolutely. It is a fantastic creek. Small body of water, that can at some times hold a lot of fish. There are miles of publically accessible areas, and they are plenty fishy. Some of the private proterty, like Eagle Fern Camp have some wicked Coho drifts, but you can't access it. This is one of those place where some residents have acquired "Pioneer Permits" and they own all the way down below the hight water line, and acros the creek bed. It is technically illegal to wade in most stretches, but there is plenty of fishable water open for us.

M
metalmania
Eagle creek is an amazing place and even when theres few fish you'll still have a great time up there, thats why I fish it almost exclusivly.

M
metalmania
Wen't up there this mornin and was amazed that there wasn't hardly anyone below the ladder, even on weekdays theres usually a bit of a crowd. Took a nice fat chrome hen after about 20 minutes and then hooked up and lost another 15 minutes later but it only gave me a few head shakes and was gone. The fish are kinda spread out but with a little work it's well worth the trip.

F
fisch
where?

where?

Fished the creek on Sun from 12-3 and saw lots of people but no action. This was my first time higher on the creek and it was more exploring than actually fishing for me. I tried couple of placed below the park and then below the fish ladder. Is there only one fish ladder? By the end of the day I found very deep hole with really STEEP access to it but it really looked good. Got nada. Tried floating jigs but I haven't seen a living thing in the creek. Maybe next time. I can go Thu morning if someone is interested?

M
metalmania
Yes theres only one fish ladder and theres quite a few good holes down there.
I might be out there thursday but I can't say for sure. If I am you will see a red f150 bouncin from place to place up there. Feel free to come down and will hit a few of my honey holes.

F
FishSchooler
Sounds like the action is picking up. To sandy or to eagle creek? I kinda had that oh my god I have to go there feeling when someone (I forgot who) posted about that one guide landing 14 fish in a day. But Im not sure... Wheres the hatchery?

N
ninja2010
yeah, how does one get to the hatchery? is there a bit of a hike to get to the river?

A
ArcticAmoeba
The creek has been very steady, on the slow side, but steady pretty much all year. The hatchery is at the bottom of Rainbow Rd. and the hike to the creek from the little turn off, before the hatch box is fairly greuling, especially witha 3 fish limit last Coho season. Brutal! The hike down some of the embankments is rather exciting too. Especially when wet. So be aware, and keep your eyes open when you head down there.

M
metalmania
Ya what he said.

N
ninja2010
thanks for the info.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Ninja are you are looking for the driveway, to acces the uppermost stretches of publically accessible creek? If you are, it is across the road from where you park. The little gravel/dirt area on the left hand side of the road heading down. The driveway heads down and parallels the creek. Keep right, while passing the first split. And head up the dirt trail. It splits again after a little ways. You can go any which way from there. There are numerous little bushwhacks that people have made off of the main trail, and each of them eventually spit you out on the banks of the creek.

N
ninja2010
yeah, that's what i'm looking for. i've read much about the eagle creek hatchery but not sure how to get there or how tough it is to reach the water. as usual, aa, you hit the nail on the head. thanks.

A
ArcticAmoeba
If/when you do go, drive the rest of the way down from the parking area, and park at the hatchery. Walk out over the bridge, and look upstream. Usually a bunch of fish stewin around right below the intake. Cool to see the mix of dalmations and creek "freshies."

N
ninja2010
dalmations???

A
ArcticAmoeba
Haha, the super darkies, with white rotten spots.