Eagle Creek. Shrimp or Eggs?

T
Troutier Bassier
Ok So I went to Eagle Creek at Bonneville for some Summer Steelfaces. and I saw a Nice 15+ Lber And OMG, It was HUGE! It was the Biggest Steelhead I ever Seen.
So We tryed Casting Everything at it, Kastmasters, Rooster tails, Marabou Jigs with Rubber Legs.
But It would come close to it but not hit it?
Like, It would swim towards it and not hit it.
Why?

And Another thing.

Whats better for Summers?
Coon Shrimp or Eggs,

Cause at the spot we were at the guys before us caught there limits and Left so we got there and we saw Eggs and Shrimp on the Ground.

F
FishSchooler
Hardware would be better than bait right now. Any bait can catch a steelhead as long as it's presented the right way. If you were using that 65 main... that might be the reason. ;)

T
Troutier Bassier
I was using 12 Leader,
Too Heavy?
I thought so.

Y
youngbuck307
yea that could be it try going down to 8.... or could of been he had been messed with a lil to much already and just didn't like what he seen

T
Troutier Bassier
Oh, I dont think hes been Messed with, He mightve seen a few pinners and Eggs in his day but he hasnt been Picked on like we did.

And FishSchooler, There was a Annoying Guy who kept throwing Spoons at us. I mean, He hit my Friend in the leg and He Jerked cause he thought it was in a Branch and ripped my friends Pants a Little,:mad:
And the bad part was for him cause My friends dad watched the Whole thing:lol:

But anyways, that Idiot only hooked one and dident catch any for the whole day.

Last edited:
M
metalmania
If I can clearly see the fish, I run 8lb and sometimes less flouro and a small bead or size 12 or smaller corkie, and use a size 4 owner. Fishing pressure as well as water conditions will affect exactly what I use but very small and light is the way to go while sight fishing. Also I rarely spend more than a minute or two on fish like that. It's a waste of time to sit there and repeatedly cast at a fish that isn't biting. They may fallow it for a short distance over and over but if they don't take it on the first few passes just move on.

K
Kodiak
Cheetohs, bubble yum, cigarette buts, or stale micydees french fries from the back seat work well. If you leave a tweenkie out in the sun long enough with a straw through it you can use it as a slip bobber.

T
Troutier Bassier
Kodiak said:
Cheetohs, bubble yum, cigarette buts, or stale micydees french fries from the back seat work well. If you leave a tweenkie out in the sun long enough with a straw through it you can use it as a slip bobber.

????

T
Troutier Bassier
Ok, How close dose it have to be for the Steel to hit it?

M
metalmania
Troutier Bassier said:

There is no set distance, they either see it or they don't. For the most part, once they see it there either gonna hit it or not. They normally won't let it pass more than once or twice, and if they do they probably aren't bitters.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:

Steelhead will hit lures like 20 feet away if given good conditions

T
Troutier Bassier
Haha, I got it like 3 Feet Away and it Attacked but dident hit.

B
beaverfan
When they do that it's a good indicator that you need to change up size or color of lure. It could also mean that he see's your line. I would go with a lighter leader next time.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Haha, I got it like 3 Feet Away and it Attacked but dident hit.

Okay? I saw a steelhead just cruising in the clackamas and it just totally ignored my spinner which almost touched it.

D
davep
Here is a rule of thumb that I use....Moving fish are the most agressive and will most likely hit a spinner in clear water. When Osmo was up in that neck of the woods last week, the fish were moving through a nd wereagressive and hit most of their offerings....the day before, he said nothing was moving through and the bite was off...In conditions where the fish are less agressive, drift SMALL baits through with 8lb test and a #4 hook.... thats my rule of thumb and it works for me....