Dumb bobber fishing question

B
Big3d
I was wondering why people put corkies above their slip bobbers. I use a bead to hit the bobber stop, but i noticed most other fisher people today had a corkie too. And while I'm asking stupid questions, does the species matter when it comes to eggs, i mean using eggs from the same species you're targeting or deliberately different... I ask because I was at a store where the eggs were labeled as sockeye eggs. I bought some and didn't catch. That being said store bought seems to be less effective in general, or my lack of experience and my 7 ft rod that i couldnt mend the danged line fast enough on. Thanks for your input!

S
SteelyDan's
I believe most including myself use the corky for more visibility and it allows you to see if your bobber and line underneath is sitting right. If your line is tangled or something your corky will sit weird. I don't think the eggs make too much difference as far as where they came from be it from chinook, coho, steelhead i'm sure other eggs would probably work too but more in how they are prepared and how you present them to your target fish. Yeah best to get your own eggs or find a place that does them in house. Best of luck hope I helped.

D
DrTheopolis
Big3d said:
does the species matter when it comes to eggs

Now you're done it.

You're probably going to get about the same number of answers as asking "what's the best fishing boat?"

B
Big3d
Thanks SteelyDan, It was just a curiousity of mine on the corkies. Dr. T, I'm not really looking for suggestions on which eggs necessarily. I just wondered if coho eggs draw more coho, nook eggs draw more nooks etc. I think steely answered that for me too

F
fish4life
I have used a glo corky above my bobber and caught plenty of fish before it is completely light out but it also helps for identification if you are fishing an area with a lot of people where there might be three or more of the same bobbers. For eggs I prefer coho eggs, but have caught fish on steelhead, or chinook eggs I have never used sockeye eggs or chum eggs but I have been told chum eggs are the best. For nooks cured up red with a pro cure type cure and I prefer borax eggs for steelhead and coho, but have caught all fish on both. I have heard people say you will do better with eggs caught from the same river you are fishing, I don't know if this is true or not. This is what I have found to work the best for me over the years. I hope this helps and good luck.

D
DrTheopolis
fish4life said:
I have been told chum eggs are the best.

Maybe that's what the guy was using that I saw today hauling a coho with one fin too many out of the Trask today.

Chromatose
Chromatose
The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

T
troutmasta
Big3d said:
I was wondering why people put corkies above their slip bobbers. I use a bead to hit the bobber stop, but i noticed most other fisher people today had a corkie too. And while I'm asking stupid questions, does the species matter when it comes to eggs, i mean using eggs from the same species you're targeting or deliberately different... I ask because I was at a store where the eggs were labeled as sockeye eggs. I bought some and didn't catch. That being said store bought seems to be less effective in general, or my lack of experience and my 7 ft rod that i couldnt mend the danged line fast enough on. Thanks for your input!
I run a big ol corky to tell me if my line is messed up and to lift my line 1" or so OFF the top of the bobber.
As far as eggs, eggs from the same river are usually best I think, cure is Much more important in my opinion-

fish4life said:
but I have been told chum eggs are the best.
Hmmmmm...where would you get those???

Chums are illegal to harvest, and I'm sure that covers taking thier eggs-

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:

The preparation is completely different. With other eggs, you "cure" them. With chum eggs, they're "poached."

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
The preparation is completely different. With other eggs, you "cure" them. With chum eggs, they're "poached."

Gold star for that response! Well done.

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:

:hi: High marks.

jamisonace
jamisonace
There is a significant harvest of chum in alaska.

troutmasta said:
I run a big ol corky to tell me if my line is messed up and to lift my line 1" or so OFF the top of the bobber.
As far as eggs, eggs from the same river are usually best I think, cure is Much more important in my opinion-

Chums are illegal to harvest, and I'm sure that covers taking thier eggs-

T
troutmasta
I assumed we were talking about OR,
but is stand corrected if other wise-

on another note, why harvest chum? (besides dog food)

F
fish4life
I have seen chum eggs for sale from Alaska at Fishermans. And I think you can keep chum on some rivers in Washington.

J
JeannaJigs
troutmasta said:
I assumed we were talking about OR,
but is stand corrected if other wise-

on another note, why harvest chum? (besides dog food)

I acquired a few years back a bunch of chumsky eggs from somewhere in washington. I'm not sure you can retain them currently or not, but, I think pretty much the only reason they are retained, is for the eggs.

I won't lie, those eggs fished awesome for chinook.