Dropshotting with a new twist!

F
Fish-N-Fool
Dropshotting with a new Twist! By Rick Lawrence

Hi guys;
I thought I would share with you a neat new way I found to catch river Smallmouth on a dropshot, but with a NEW twist! I call it “The Drag the Dropshot" method. I found this method kinda by accident. It was early November and the weather was fair but a cold front had moved in and the water temps were dropping down into the low 50's. I was fishing a tournament a few weeks ago and the Smallies were banging craw crank baits pretty good and we had caught a few nice size fish in the 1 ½ to 3 pounds range when the bite just stopped. I knew the fish were still there, just not biting. So we switched it up and tried a few other things like spinnerbaits, different cranks and tubes, but got no more fish. As we were getting ready to leave to try another area, we went over one of the many big truck size boulders that are in this stretch of the river. The fish finder lit up and showed a ton of fish all around it, so I told my partner why don’t we try dropshoting them. We had pre-fished this stretch the week before and done ok here with cranks, catching just enough fish to figure this was a good starting point.
The water along this bank was a flat that was only about 10 to 14 feet deep with a fairly slow current, but full of large boulders from about 2 feet to 10 feet across. It had just enough color that you could just see some of the bigger boulders and make out some of the bottom. So we cast out and let the boat drift with the current like we had been when throwing cranks here earlier in the day and we both nailed a fish within the first minute of that drag! Well we loaded the boat this way and I quickly perfected the technique.
You need a slow current with a rocky or gravel bottom. Just drop the bait over the edge of the boat, don’t try to cast, as that will only get you hung-up. I learned right away that you need to put on a large enough weight so the bait will stay almost right under the boat and not drag back, then put out just enough line to reach the bottom. Let the boat drift in the current and watch your rod as the weight bounces along the rocks. If you keep the line right under the boat the hang-ups are few and the fishing can be fantastic. Bites can be very light though, so you have to lift on the rod to feel for weight if the rod tip does something odd.
We ended up finishing 3rd and 4th with 10 and 10 ¼ pounds in the tourney. Only Four hundreds of a pound from 2nd place, on water I didn't know all that well. So it was a good day. I have been out about 6 times since then and have done my “Drag the Drop Shot” method with GREAT success every time, even on different sections of the river. This even worked in the main lake where there is no current, just a breeze to move the boat along. As long as you can drag the bait slowly with the boat and not with the rod it seems to work just as well.
I tie this rig up a little differently for this method and it has proven to be a fish killer. Here’s how I do it. I tie on a 1/0 Gammy red finesse hook using a double Palomar knot, so the hook eye points up and you have about a 30" tag end. Then run the tag end back down through the hook eye. That will keep the hook pointing straight out. Then I run a bullet or egg sinker weight up the line and pinch it in place with a pair of pliers. That does two things, it makes it easy to adjust the height of the bait off the bottom (I like mine about 12" to 24" off a hard bottom and about 30” off a weedy bottom) and if (or should I say when) you get hung up the weight will just slide off and you won’t lose the whole rig. Just slide on a new weight, pinch it in place and you’re good to go. I've been using the tails off my Chartreuse Sink-N-Fool baits on this rig and it has been killer. I just cut off about 2 1/2 " of the tail of one of my used baits and nose hook it. It has turned out to be one of the best dropshot baits I’ve ever fished.
Although this worked great on the hard to catch cold front Smallies, I think it would work just as well on active fish earlier in the year. I plan to put it to the test next spring!!!

Here is a diagram of how I tie up my dropshot. Give it a try I think you'll like it!!!!!

Thefish-N-FoolDropshot-1.jpg

R
ryan808
Welcome to the forum, thanks for the insight and info. Is the difference between a regular drop shot and the Fish-N-Fool, the ability to change the sinker height on the fly? If Im reading it right the bullet/egg sinker can be adjusted, but what about the snags these type of weights produce. None the less, Im open to new ideas and will give it a try, thanks again for the input.

Last edited:
F
Fish-N-Fool
Hey ryan,
The main differance is how that weight is put on and the fact that it will just slide off when you do get hung up and you don't lose the rest of your rig. With this methed I seem to get hung up a lot less, but being able to ajust the bait hieght easily is a big plus in my book. I also use a little differant knot to tie the hook on then most do. The double palomar holds the hook straight out better and is a little stronger and as you guys know knots are my thing.
Tnx for the welcome but I'm not really new here been a member for over a year. I don't post much, Unless I got something important to share like how to tie the worlds strongest knot. :)

C
colbypearson
Fish-N-Fool said:
Hey ryan,
The main differance is how that weight is put on and the fact that it will just slide off when you do get hung up and you don't lose the rest of your rig. With this methed I seem to get hung up a lot less, but being able to ajust the bait hieght easily is a big plus in my book. I also use a little differant knot to tie the hook on then most do. The double palomar holds the hook straight out better and is a little stronger and as you guys know knots are my thing.
Tnx for the welcome but I'm not really new here been a member for over a year. I don't post much, Unless I got something important to share like how to tie the worlds strongest knot. :)

good little tutorial i use the crimp dropshot weights, i did a video last night on dropshotting i will upload it here later this afternoon fishing for me till then ;)

R
ryan808
The Fish-N-Fool knot, ahhhhh I remember now, its the knot that won the fishing knot wars on the Infisherman show, great job on the knot. I was rooting for that knot, Im glad it won. :clap:

C
colbypearson
ryan808 said:
The Fish-N-Fool knot, ahhhhh I remember now, its the knot that won the fishing knot wars on the Infisherman show, great job on the knot. I was rooting for that knot, Im glad it won. :clap:

i tie palomars 95% of the time

F
Finneus Polebender
Great stuff will be figuring this one out for future use for sure ,like the slippin weight part!