Dropper length and weight of sinker?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
Not trying to be a smart ass, but is that 45 degrees in relation to the rod or the surface of the water?

surface of the water...cheers, roger

P
plumb2fish
You want the angle of the line coming out of the water towards the rod tip to be 45°, this should give you a good action on your bait provided the rod is laid perpendicular to the boat and as level with the water surface as possible

K
kwikfisher
plumb2fish said:
You want the angle of the line coming out of the water towards the rod tip to be 45°, this should give you a good action on your bait provided the rod is laid perpendicular to the boat and as level with the water surface as possible
Seems like I need to reconfigure my rod holder's to get leveler with the water. One is set with the rod angled back toward the wake, but is more straight up and down. The other is angled back toward the wake, and at roughly 45 degrees outward, no where near level with the water though.

K
kwikfisher
kwikfisher said:
Seems like I need to reconfigure my rod holder's to get leveler with the water. One is set with the rod angled back toward the wake, but is more straight up and down. The other is angled back toward the wake, and at roughly 45 degrees outward, no where near level with the water though.
The issue I have is with a Zodiac, I have no gunnels to mount stuff to, just pontoons. Everything has to go on the inside vertical face of the small transom. Time to get creative I guess...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
The issue I have is with a Zodiac, I have no gunnels to mount stuff to, just pontoons. Everything has to go on the inside vertical face of the small transom. Time to get creative I guess...

if you are anything like me, getting the boat stuff figured out and rigged up is as much fun as netting big fish...:thumb:

K
kwikfisher
rogerdodger said:
if you are anything like me, getting the boat stuff figured out and rigged up is as much fun as netting big fish...:thumb:
It's fun, but frustrating too. You kayak guys have to be even more clever and economical. I do sometime hold the rod for a better position, but it's easy to have to hair of a trigger on the pull downs that way. The way it is now, the fish sounds the alarm and is taking line before I know I've got action. This makes for more solid hook ups.

D
digital0ne
kwikfisher said:
I have an old suzuki 40 with a "troll o matic", but it does not run real smooth cranked all the way down. The throttle is not perfectly responsive to subtle changes.
kwikfisher said:
My ZODIAC has so little in the way of structure to attached stuff to that I had kinda ruled out downriggers. Diver is a consideration....Thanks

#ZodiacProblems We run a zodiac (16' Avon, actually) for spear fishing off the coast and are trying to add rod holders but you're right about the limited space. We run a Cabrea 30 long shaft, and have a fish finder and one rod holder (for the driver) on the transom.

I am thinking about taking a run on the Suislaw this Monday (9/28) in my 12' smokercraft with my buddy. We are pretty limited in the gear we run, but we do use an 8oz ball on one rod and a delta diver on the second. Is there an advantage to running a 16" dropped over a 12" or 8" dropper? Or should we just run two divers?

This will be the first time out in the Suislaw, coming from Springfield.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
digital0ne said:
#ZodiacProblems We run a zodiac (16' Avon, actually) for spear fishing off the coast and are trying to add rod holders but you're right about the limited space. We run a Cabrea 30 long shaft, and have a fish finder and one rod holder (for the driver) on the transom.

I am thinking about taking a run on the Suislaw this Monday (9/28) in my 12' smokercraft with my buddy. We are pretty limited in the gear we run, but we do use an 8oz ball on one rod and a delta diver on the second. Is there an advantage to running a 16" dropped over a 12" or 8" dropper? Or should we just run two divers?

This will be the first time out in the Suislaw, coming from Springfield.

almost everyone on the Siuslaw runs cannonballs sinkers on a 12" to 16" dropper, the bottom is sand in most places and near high you will be running in 18' to 30' in most areas.

K
kwikfisher
plumb2fish said:
I created an extension from my small transom and was able to attach my existing rod holder so the rod extend slightly aft of perpendicular. Its also parallel with the water surface. Fish on now joker!

S
steelhead_stalkers
I think the biggest mistake most make when trolling is not enough weight. It is better to use to much weight than not enough. We pretty much use 10 oz on the slaw now and sometimes 12 oz. The line angle makes a huge difference in your catch rates. Like Plumb said, 45 degree angle is what you are looking for. Good luck.