Dropper length and weight of sinker?

K
kwikfisher
Fished yesterday, and I've come to the conclusion that my gear choices are pretty random. Below the 101 bridge on Siuslaw I grab either, based on the tide, a 6oz or 8 Oz ball. I know the herring,flasher, weight etc are down in the zone when I let it out and feel the ball touch bottom, but when I start trolling I lose touch. Also it seems if I try to find bottom again, I start to get a lot of line out there. This is a problem when I start to get in shallower water, and start to drag bottom. What's the science here? I know consistent success is a combination of subtitles in presentation, and I want to increase my chances and knowledge base.

P
pinstriper
I think you either need more weight or you're trolling too fast.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hi Kf! A diver or downrigger would help. Good luck. Tony

K
kwikfisher
pinstriper said:
I think you either need more weight or you're trolling too fast.
Might be speed, I have an old suzuki 40 with a "troll o matic", but it does not run real smooth cranked all the way down. The throttle is not perfectly responsive to subtle changes.

K
kwikfisher
Casting Call said:
Hi Kf! A diver or downrigger would help. Good luck. Tony
My ZODIAC has so little in the way of structure to attached stuff to that I had kinda ruled out downriggers. Diver is a consideration....Thanks

E
eugene1
Troll with the tide.

K
kwikfisher
eugene1 said:
Troll with the tide.
I do, unless it's slack, then I kinda go everywhere....

S
sapo
How long is your guys leader from your flasher to your anchovy?

E
eugene1
4-5 feet

sapo said:

C_Run
C_Run
sapo said:

Got to shorten that to 3' for kayak trolling or you'll never net the fish. Still works fine at that length.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
Fished yesterday, and I've come to the conclusion that my gear choices are pretty random. Below the 101 bridge on Siuslaw I grab either, based on the tide, a 6oz or 8 Oz ball. I know the herring,flasher, weight etc are down in the zone when I let it out and feel the ball touch bottom, but when I start trolling I lose touch. Also it seems if I try to find bottom again, I start to get a lot of line out there. This is a problem when I start to get in shallower water, and start to drag bottom. What's the science here? I know consistent success is a combination of subtitles in presentation, and I want to increase my chances and knowledge base.

where to start...first the Siuslaw is a nice sand bottom in most areas, keeping close contact with the bottom is critical, do it! every couple of minutes I will "set the cannon ball on the bottom" by lowering the rod tip...and then lift it up slightly as I return the rod to a holder..sinker dropper length right about a foot.

you want some blow back on the line but not too much...I look for a line angle of about 45 degrees. so for us, trolling about 1.5 mph through water speed, we are using 4, 5, 6, or 8 ounces. mostly 5 or 6. depends on flasher/no flasher, cut plug or FBR rotating...if you want chinooks, slow down. faster speed- jacks and cohos are on the menu.

so once we check the herring behavior in the water by the boat and are ready to fish, we don't drop the gear as fast as possible right to the bottom, we let line out slower, letting some blow back occur as the sinker gets to the bottom for the first time, then wait, 10 or 20 seconds, set the ball on the bottom again, wait, repeat....at the correct trolling speed it really will feel like you are setting the cannon ball on the bottom, not instantly dragging it along...

cheers, roger

D
DirectDrive
kwikfisher said:
Might be speed, I have an old suzuki 40 with a "troll o matic", but it does not run real smooth cranked all the way down. The throttle is not perfectly responsive to subtle changes.
Very tough to maintain boat control when trolling with the main engine.
They load up (as you found) and run too fast.

Sounds like that's your #1 problem.

D
Denduran87
DirectDrive said:
Very tough to maintain boat control when trolling with the main engine.
They load up (as you found) and run too fast.

Sounds like that's your #1 problem.

Throw a five gallon bucket tied off of the back end.

K
kwikfisher
Denduran87 said:
Throw a five gallon bucket tied off of the back end.
I have the troll o matic on there to slow it down. Maybe a little engine fine tune might get me running better down at the extreme low end. Maybe extra lead on the dropper too...

jhop111
jhop111
Some things I've realized are a 10 to 12 oz lead will fish all conditions and gear except large dodgers. They will blow back no matter what. Some times this season a quicker troll has been money for chinook. Learned that from talking with reputable guides and it has produced. Most important is micro manage your depth. I mean constantly know where your at and make sure it's on the bottom. Herring and spinners and occasionally brads super bait it done every week for us.

K
kwikfisher
jhop111 said:
Some things I've realized are a 10 to 12 oz lead will fish all conditions and gear except large dodgers. They will blow back no matter what. Some times this season a quicker troll has been money for chinook. Learned that from talking with reputable guides and it has produced. Most important is micro manage your depth. I mean constantly know where your at and make sure it's on the bottom. Herring and spinners and occasionally brads super bait it done every week for us.

Tell me again what "blow back" means? Thanks!

jamisonace
jamisonace
3 feet
sapo said:

E
eugene1
sapo said:

eugene1 said:

ps. I use herring. Not sure it matters though?

P
plumb2fish
16" dropper, keep gear on the bottom. If you aren't getting a 45° angle trolling with the tide. you are going too fast or too slow....less than 45 too slow more than 4% too fast with 8oz lead on the slaw. On a large tide exchange, like this week, you may need 10 oz in water over 15' deep

Reactions: eugene1
K
kwikfisher
plumb2fish said:
16" dropper, keep gear on the bottom. If you aren't getting a 45° angle trolling with the tide. you are going too fast or too slow....less than 45 too slow more than 4% too fast with 8oz lead on the slaw. On a large tide exchange, like this week, you may need 10 oz in water over 15' deep
Not trying to be a smart ass, but is that 45 degrees in relation to the rod or the surface of the water?