Dropper fly setup help

brandon4455
brandon4455
im having trouble choosing fly sizes.. first i need to know if im fishing a nymph and egg dropper rig which fly should be on top? the egg or nymph? and what size should they each be? and also im a bit concerned about tying the extra line for the dropper to the hook of the other fly im worried that it will bend the hook or slip off it if i hook a fish should i be worried about this or will it hold up just fine?

Last edited:
P
ProfessorChromology
Hey Brandon, Tie the egg below the heavier fly. The egg will drift a little higher in the water column but the fish see it better than the darker nymph or bugger. I usually use at least two feet and up to 30 inches of ten or twelve pound test directly to the bend of the hook with an improved clinch knot. It doesn't come off, ever. I have dozens of wooly buggers with a tiny knot of fluorcarbon still attached from when I trimmed off the leader or switched bugs. As for sizes, usually I don't go any bigger than a #4, and usually a #6 on the bugger, and anywhere from #6 down to #10 on a TMC 2457 scud hook or heavy wire Gamakatsu octopus egg hook for the Glo Bug. Cast upstream enough so everything sinks well if water is high or fast. Then let the whole setup swing while mending upstream. Let it go all the way to the end...even winter fish will come up as the fly goes through the drift and comes to the surface...although that is rare. Have fun and give us reports on how you do!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
ProfessorChromology said:
Hey Brandon, Tie the egg below the heavier fly. The egg will drift a little higher in the water column but the fish see it better than the darker nymph or bugger. I usually use at least two feet and up to 30 inches of ten or twelve pound test directly to the bend of the hook with an improved clinch knot. It doesn't come off, ever. I have dozens of wooly buggers with a tiny knot of fluorcarbon still attached from when I trimmed off the leader or switched bugs. As for sizes, usually I don't go any bigger than a #4, and usually a #6 on the bugger, and anywhere from #6 down to #10 on a TMC 2457 scud hook or heavy wire Gamakatsu octopus egg hook for the Glo Bug. Cast upstream enough so everything sinks well if water is high or fast. Then let the whole setup swing while mending upstream. Let it go all the way to the end...even winter fish will come up as the fly goes through the drift and comes to the surface...although that is rare. Have fun and give us reports on how you do!!!

thanks i really appriciate the help can't wait to try it out. ill have a report in no time ;)

S
spmpdr
Another way to fish this setup that i have had some luck with is fishing the egg in front of the nymph , to imitate a minnow chasing an egg pattern . I have hooked a few fish this way . #6 nymph and the smallest , brightest egg pattern you can find. I like orange and green eggs patterns the most

brandon4455
brandon4455
spmpdr said:
Another way to fish this setup that i have had some luck with is fishing the egg in front of the nymph , to imitate a minnow chasing an egg pattern . I have hooked a few fish this way . #6 nymph and the smallest , brightest egg pattern you can find. I like orange and green eggs patterns the most

thanks thats really helpful :D

B
bigsteel
another way to do it is cut off 10 inches of your tippet at the end and retie it with a double surgeouns knot and tie your egg to the tag end and then tie your bigger fly at the end of the line

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks dave :D man, i never realized there were soi many diferent ways to do this Lol

M
markasd
Never thought to use that tag to attach... I have always tie on my first bug, then just tie on the bend of that hook... I have used the eye of the first fly to attach the second fly as well.

This is still on topic.. have any of you that hook up on the dropper, break off more than when hooked up on the first fly? Just curious.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thats a really good idea. becasue there is 0% chance of the knot slipping off and it wont break as easy and it wont bend the hook. thanks for the input mark

B
bigsteel
markasd said:
Never thought to use that tag to attach... I have always tie on my first bug, then just tie on the bend of that hook... I have used the eye of the first fly to attach the second fly as well.

This is still on topic.. have any of you that hook up on the dropper, break off more than when hooked up on the first fly? Just curious.

i tie off the end of the hook also when im fishing 2 bigger nymphs but if im fishing smaller nymphs,i like doing the tag end setup cause i can add the split shot between the 2 flies and you wont get tangled up...i have broke a few fish off off on the dropp but i find if you loop your tippet around the bend of the hook twice you its way stronger.